The Student Room Group

How Much Do You Love / Hate Modern Feminism? (The TSR Feminist Scale!)

Poll

How pro/anti modern feminism are you, out of ten?

When reading posts in this forum it would help me to know how pro or anti modern feminism people are.

Emphasis on MODERN feminism. I'm sure many of us would agree it used to have noble intentions. This scale is based on feminism in 2014.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
throw the bitches back in the kitchen or in the oven, is that what you want to hear Heartiste? cos I'm going to go with Miss Watson on this one
Reply 2
Original post by Riku
throw the bitches back in the kitchen or in the oven, is that what you want to hear Heartiste? cos I'm going to go with Miss Watson on this one

I don't think anyone should go in the oven.

Ah, Emma Watson who wants to liberate men from gender stereotypes and let them be more sensitive - all the while dating a traditionally masculine, tall, muscular alpha male. :rolleyes:

Watch what women do, not what they say!
Original post by Heartiste

Ah, Emma Watson who wants to liberate men from gender stereotypes and let them be more sensitive - all the while dating a traditionally masculine, tall, muscular alpha male. :rolleyes:

Haha😁
this is exactly why we need feminism, because it seems one of the most intelligent, accomplished, successful, inspirational women on the planet cannot have her message about equality taken seriously because she happens to be dating someone
Original post by Heartiste

Emma Watson's speech was about men and women being free from stereotypes, so they can be the person they are. So a man is allowed to be sensitive and a woman is allowed to be strong. And vice versa.

It's about freedom to choose who you want to be.

Just because her boyfriend is muscular you're in disagreement of her entire speech? How do you know he's not a sensitive soul, and even if he's not: so what?

Even if by some crazy chance Emma Watson didn't follow what she said (but I'm fairly certain she does agree with her speech).... She's still inspiring many to believe in gender equality.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by lucymellor
this is exactly why we need feminism, because it seems one of the most intelligent, accomplished, successful, inspirational women on the planet cannot have her message about equality taken seriously because she happens to be dating someone

I'll be honest, it's all well and good talking about 'men have feelings too we should let them be more open and take a chill pill' but too many men have experiences of getting rejected in the bedroom after they did that to trust women on it. See my latest thread.

^^ couldn't have said it better

Posted from TSR Mobile

What an insult to all women in professions that actually require intellectual prowess, and indeed many students on these forums.
I stubbed my toe...

THIS IS WHY WE NEED FEMINISM!!!!!BLAARARH

I don't think her dating someone is the problem. In fact, if she was dating the type of man she is trying to publicise would boost her reputation in this case. Its more the fact that she seems to be dating the opposite type of man she is trying to boost up is what's the problem.

Whilst she should be free to date whoever she sees fit, in this case its akin to trying to support equal rights for races (not such a hot topic but still) but dating a racist. Although this is a extreme example the concept is still there.

Because she supports a sexist, misandrist movement.

If she supported an equality movement she'd be heard with open ears.

Original post by ClickItBack
What an insult to all women in professions that
actually require intellectual prowess, and indeed many students on these forums.
indeed she's clearly not intelligent at all. She clearly hasn't done any of her own research on women's issues, men's issues, feminist propaganda and actions. Otherwise she'd be supporting a legit movement that actually stands for gender equality

She's just whining about how men aren't emotional enough rofl. Which is a stereotype.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Aria Enoshima

Whilst she should be free to date whoever she sees fit, in this case its akin to trying to support equal rights for races (not such a hot topic but still) but dating a racist. Although this is a extreme example the concept is still there.

Not exactly. It's like a white person trying to support equal rights for races dating another white person...
Just because her boyfriend appears 'alpha male' or however you want to describe it, it doesn't mean he doesn't support equality for genders.

(Although, if he has been proven to be sexist- fair enough, that is odd of Emma)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13

Because it undermines her message. She encourages spineless males to support #heforshe and make themselves useful idiots for women, while she hypocritically sleeps with a stereotypical masculine alpha male.

Men: if you want to be friendzoned, follow the advice of Emma Watson and lucymellor.

Men: if you want to sleep with hot women, go to the gym, get ripped, and be a traditional masculine male. Don't submit to women - get them to submit to you. :sexface:

By the way, do you know what the most successful woman this country has ever had thought of feminism?

"The feminists hate me, don't they? And I don't blame them. For I hate feminism. It is poison." - Margeret Thatcher

:borat:
What an insult to all women in professions that actually require intellectual prowess, and indeed many students on these forums.

Oh yes, I forgot she's a silly airhead who just prances about all day pretending to be someone else in front of a camera...oh wait, she graduated from Brown University with a degree in English literature as well as attending Oxford, whilst making several films at the same time. Try to contain your jealousy please.

Original post by Aria Enoshima
I don't think her dating someone is the problem. In fact, if she was dating the type of man she is trying to publicise would boost her reputation in this case. Its more the fact that she seems to be dating the opposite type of man she is trying to boost up is what's the problem.

Assuming that a muscular man cannot be gentle and sensitive is exactly the prejudice she's trying to bring awareness to, so in this case it does boost her cause. Also I understand what you're trying to say, but that analogy is entirely different to this situation.
Oh yes, I forgot she's a silly airhead who just prances about all day pretending to be someone else in front of a camera...oh wait, she graduated from Brown University with a degree in English literature as well as attending Oxford, whilst making several films at the same time. Try to contain your jealousy please.

I have an equivalent or better educational background than she does, but I would balk and be greatly amused at anyone referring to me as 'one of the most intelligent men in the world'.

I also do not think actors are especially inspirational or are better role models than e.g. many women I know personally - but that is my own opinion, and I'm not contesting yours on those matters.
Reply 16
Original post by thewishfulwriter
Not exactly. It's like a white person trying to support equal rights for races dating another white person...
Just because her boyfriend appears 'alpha male' or however you want to describe it, it doesn't mean he doesn't support equality for genders.

(Although, if he has been proven to be sexist- fair enough, that is odd of Emma)

Posted from TSR Mobile

she explicitly said "I want the right to choose what I do with my body." Which is admirable. But she was referring to women. She didn't really touch upon how male body image issues, in some cases, lead to their cases of depression, anxiety etc., accounting for some of the cases of suicide.

The lean/buff, handsome, rich, talented, yet sweet and sensitive alpha male is the epitome of the late 20th century New Age Sensitive Guy movement which is still a difficult ideal to aspire towards for most men.

Women have eben liberated from being 'this kind of woman' by feminism, men haven't. They still have to be what society deems masculine to get anywhere in life. This is what I want to change via HeForShe.

How ridiculous, please do tell how she is supporting a misandrist movement. Her entire message is about equality, have you even watched her speech?

yes I did. She's basically just trying to change opinions people have of a misandrist movement with some honeyed words. When feminists tackle male issues instead of actively opposing change for the better I'll believe they're a movement for equality. That will be the day. :rolleyes:
Original post by ChickenMadness
Because she supports a sexist, misandrist movement.

If she supported an equality movement she'd be heard with open ears.

How ridiculous, please do tell how she supports a misandrist movement. Her entire message is about equality, have you even watched her speech?
People are complaining that feminists don't tackle men's issues. And no, Emma didn't explicitly point out every problem men have and how to change them... However, she did talk about equality for men and women by stopping the masculine/feminine stereotypes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending