The Student Room Group

I Want A Hipster Boyfriend - HELP :D

Scroll to see replies

Original post by samba
Man I dunno, I ain't no Cockney :p: I've been busy starting uni and working on not arguing with my girlfriend! Managed a whole week which is like a record for us :biggrin:

Also hiding until we start winning more!

Lol you dodged a bullet last week, the mu thread was wum central!
Anyways yeah lol, are you in uni in London?
Original post by Zürich
X

Original post by Schezerade
X

Love this guy, told you he was good. Knows more about the place than I could ever tell you about! So when are you coming to London? :h:
Original post by Zürich
Uber taxi app is cheap as chips really, you'd need to be going miles to get a fare over £15. Camden to central London would be maybe £8 :smile:

I've never even used Uber before, will defo download it though :smile: That's not too bad actually, I've heard horror stories about taxi fares that are £20 or above :lol:

Yea Archway is rough tbh, I should know I grew up around there! Plenty of dodgy estates in the area that is a breeding ground for scum. Nightlife is 70% rough old Irish pubs full of nutcases rambling on about god knows what :laugh: I mean, I watch the football in these joints often enough but there is absolutely no reason to go to Archway to see them! The other 30% is pretty hipster alright like the boogaloo which I mentioned and a few joints in and around Tufnell Park tube.

Saying that, Ive never had any serious issues around Archway but if you dont know the area I wouldnt want to be stagerring around bus-stops pissed at 2am :laugh:

In general Camden is not rough because it's so busy but there's just no reason to head further North late at night as youre getting close to areas which are dodgy.

Ah, so you're a native Londoner! I'm quite jealous TBH :lol:

Yeah, you can watch the footie anywhere in London I guess :smile: Though certain pubs do have more of an atmosphere for it sometimes.

I don't tend to drink too much on nights out as a general rule, but there are some places I wouldn't even go fully sober either haha :tongue:

So Archway is further North, then? Any other areas you'd recommend avoiding?

Clothes like that would be absolutely find for Camden. It has a rep for being goth but that's strictly in certain places. Any of the bars/clubs Ive mentioned you'd look the part! :smile: Its not as hipster as Shoreditch/East in general so people just dress in normal high st stuff most of the time.

Oh, that's good! :smile: (I have some new dresses that need to be worn, lol).

Is Shoreditch even more hipster, then? I thought it was about equal xD
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Love this guy, told you he was good. Knows more about the place than I could ever tell you about! So when are you coming to London? :h:

I know, right? Thank you again :biggrin: I'm heading down at the start of December, can't wait! Are you a Londoner btw? :smile:
Original post by Schezerade
I

So Archway is further North, then? Any other areas you'd recommend avoiding?

Oh, that's good! :smile: (I have some new dresses that need to be worn, lol).

Is Shoreditch even more hipster, then? I thought it was about equal xD

Thing about the area is that you'll have really posh areas right next door to rough ones. Archway is minutes walk from millionaire mansions in Highgate and its like that everywhere in London. It seems silly saying Archway is rough because if you looked at the property prices, youd realise loads of people have serious wealth. But then the council estates are still there and so you'll always have trouble makers about.

In general I'd stay clear of Kilburn, Finsbury Park and definitely Wood Green or Tottenham. East London is really fashionable in bits of course but you still do get the rough places so wouldnt make a habit of going farther East than Dalston. Obviously dont go to Peckham or Newham but youd never have a reason to go that far South/East.

Shoreditch is almost a byword for hipsterness but because it got so gentrified and city boys moved in, most of the hipsters moved on to Bethnal Green, Dalston etc. But yeah Shoreditch/Old Street is still full of interesting little bars serving Peruvian beer, playing minimalist techno etc.

These hip areas go in cycles. 15 years ago it was Angel/Islington, before that Notting Hill and before that Camden Town. Back in the 1980s Camden would have been the hipster central but as always it gradually became posher and thus less cool. Still somewhat hipster but there are just too many tourists, offices and city-boys around now for it compete with Dalston or somewhere.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest