The Student Room Group

Alternatives to Quetiapine

I have been on quetiapine for OCD for a long time now, and put on a lot of weight.

Does anyone know if there are alternatives I can discuss with my psychiatrist?

Have you tried Clomipramine? It's a tricyclic antidepressant rather than an atypical antipsychotic so I believe the potential for weight gain is lower. Quetiapine is notorious for weight gain, I put on 30lbs on it.

Another thing you could try if the quetiapine is helping your symptoms is adding metformin. It's a diabetes drug but studies have shown that it can help people to avoid putting on weight when taking antipsychotics.

Hope this helps :smile:
SSRIs are often prescribed for OCD. Have you tried any of them?

apart for the weight gain it the quietapine helping with your OCD?

also cognative behavioural therapy is good for OCD.
Reply 3
Original post by Sabertooth
Have you tried Clomipramine? It's a tricyclic antidepressant rather than an atypical antipsychotic so I believe the potential for weight gain is lower. Quetiapine is notorious for weight gain, I put on 30lbs on it.

Another thing you could try if the quetiapine is helping your symptoms is adding metformin. It's a diabetes drug but studies have shown that it can help people to avoid putting on weight when taking antipsychotics.

Hope this helps :smile:

Haven't tried it thanks for bringing it up.

By the way have you lost the weight you put on? I find it almost impossible to lose even if I do exercise :frown:
Reply 4
Original post by anon2010
SSRIs are often prescribed for OCD. Have you tried any of them?

apart for the weight gain it the quietapine helping with your OCD?

also cognative behavioural therapy is good for OCD.

I used to be on SSRIs but the psychiatrist stopped them.

And I can't tell because I'm on a mixture of different medications if the quetiapine itself is helping :frown:
Original post by Anonymous
Haven't tried it thanks for bringing it up.

By the way have you lost the weight you put on? I find it almost impossible to lose even if I do exercise :frown:

I have lost about 20lbs so far by going to the gym and playing sports - I think the metformin is also helping, both to stop me putting on weight from my new antipsychotic as well as allowing me to lose the weight I previously put on.

When I was on quetiapine I wasn't able to lose weight no matter how much I worked out, I think that's a common problem so you're definitely not alone in that.

Btw, if your psychiatrist offers you olanzapine, be aware that it can cause even more weight gain than quetiapine.

Quick Reply

Latest