The Student Room Group

A2 organic chem help

Right, so, I've got a molecule with a halogen functional group and alcohol and am unsure which takes precedence. It's either 1,2-dibromobutan-4-ol OR 3,4-dibromobutan-1-ol, which one?

The first one gives the lowest number count but when I type it into the interest, it suggests the second one, so confused :confused:
Original post by applegeek96
Right, so, I've got a molecule with a halogen functional group and alcohol and am unsure which takes precedence. It's either 1,2-dibromobutan-4-ol OR 3,4-dibromobutan-1-ol, which one?

The first one gives the lowest number count but when I type it into the interest, it suggests the second one, so confused :confused:

Can you let us know the full question, to set this in context?

Also, don't just rely on what an internet search tells you - it's more important that you understand the thought process behind identifying the molecule.
Reply 2
Original post by Illusionary
Can you let us know the full question, to set this in context?

Also, don't just rely on what an internet search tells you - it's more important that you understand the thought process behind identifying the molecule.

Add bromine water to but-3-en-1-ol, and to give the name of the organic product of the reaction.

Quick Reply

Latest