The Student Room Group

Chem alevel

how do i get A in chem?? how do i revise. i feel like i have a somewhat understanding of chem, but i feel like im only gonna get a C max, how i get an A?
Original post by madina008
how do i get A in chem?? how do i revise. i feel like i have a somewhat understanding of chem, but i feel like im only gonna get a C max, how i get an A?

Hi there

I would suggest firstly memorising the content you have done so far- keep memorising throughout the year, instead of towards the end when there are exams. There is no right way to memorise, so using techniques that have worked for you previously should do. :smile:

Afterwards, you can try doing practice questions on the topics. :smile: Especially the exam questions from previous years - the ones from your exam board will be really useful. (Whilst you will not have covered all the content, attempt the ones that you have studied and mark them yourself.)

The important thing here is to analyse the correct solution afterwards- try to understand the reasoning behind the mark scheme, you will find that it helps you reinforce your memory on the topic and it helps you find out what exact wording the markers will be looking for. Keep a copy of the exam questions you have attempted with the analysis on them. Many students would often do the practice questions but not come back to them.

I find that before exams, spending time going over the questions you have gotten wrong - or the ones that are tricky really helped me get an A in the finals. I hope this helps.

Good luck! :smile:
Chloe
-University of Kent Student Rep
Original post by madina008

Hi @madina008,

I took Chemistry A-Levels as well, a piece of advice I commonly heard was to drill exam past papers. This may seem very broad and general, but I found it to be the most useful. In terms of chemistry, for inorganic you would be required to be familiar with calculations so do practice some past paper questions covering those. Whereas for organic chemistry, you would be required to have a good understanding of organic mechanisms and naming organic compounds. Depending on your exam board, you may be required to draw out these mechanisms as well. There are plenty videos online highlighting the processes of these mechanisms.

After you have gone through your past papers, identify where you got wrong answers and try to understand why that happened. Was it a miscalculation? If so, attempt it again and see if you can get it right.

Knowing you got an answer wrong is one thing, but understanding why you got it wrong is what will reinforce and strengthen your understanding.

Hope this helps,
Danish
BCU Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest