Visit website
Reply 1
Most of us are starting in 3 days so well let you know then :smile:
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
Reply 2
I did my masters and PhD in history at the University of Hull.

I would strongly recommend Hull as a place to study history. The department is large and well equipped, some very highly rated lecturers are based there and the library is very well stocked. The ranking systems are rather notional (I don't believe you can reduce something as difficult to quantify as education to a set of scores on a chart). However, it's worth noting that Hull's history department does very well in many of them, including several top ten places, putting it up there with places such as Warwick, Durham and York.

The uni itself is pretty good on the whole - nice, large campus with plenty of green space and all the important buildings well laid out - and the student union has very good facilities. But then, I would say that since I used to be a full-time barman in there...

The city of Hull has a bad reputation, but it doesn't deserve it. In general, it's a really good place to study and to live. It's extremely cheap, and there's no shortage of decent housing (the standard has improved a fair bit in the last few years too) within easy reach of the university. The pubs are second to none, there's plenty going on and the city in general has a nice, laid-back feel to it. It can be a bit insular, but once you're in it's very friendly. Sure, parts of it aren't very pretty and some of it's a bit rough - but isn't that true pretty much anywhere?

I left Hull earlier this year, but I'd move back there tomorrow if I had the opportunity.

Latest