The Student Room Group

Should UK government be sending troops to Ebola regions

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by sophiamarni
yep to steal west africas rich minerals and resources

Yes, hospital ships and military doctors are perfect for stealing a countries wealth.
Reply 41
Original post by Skip_Snip
What I don't get is, why can't we quarantine the area? If it can't travel, it can't spread, just let it run its course, and when all its carriers die, no more ebola!

You're a messed up kid, you have no value for any life that isn't white.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 42
The fatality rate is currently 48% in Africa, so what do you suggest...we just leave them?

Health experts have repeated and stressed that the fatality rate falls with access to modern healthcare/equipment - if that means us going to aid them to save lives of innocent people, nobody should be against it.
Reply 43
I don't have a problem with this, our armed forces routinely help out in humanitarian disasters.
Reply 44
Original post by c_al
I don't have a problem with this, our armed forces routinely help out in humanitarian disasters.

This. Anybody with compassion doesn't have a problem with it.
Original post by sophiamarni
yep to steal west africas rich minerals and resources

Just like the good old days.

Original post by Chlorophile
For once, it's nice to see that the army's actually doing something good for the world.

They do plenty of good you know.
Original post by Justanotherday
I really wouldn't be surprised if that's what the government was intending to do. Ebola is caught through exposure to body fluids, it hasn't become airborne. Although there is a possibility that it could become airborne. However, the government may think that it is best to get rid of the people who have the virus to stop it dead in it's tracks.

Such a plan would be actively counterproductive. For one thing, shooting Ebola patients would spray blood everywhere which would put the soldiers at a much higher risk of becoming infected. For another, it would produce millions of refugees fleeing the fighting, spreading the disease much further afield than it would otherwise.

Oh, and it would mean that just about every person in West Africa would instantly stop trusting all Western drugs and medical advice, which are all that's keeping the disease from becoming even more out of control than it is already. I seriously doubt any government could be that stupid to even suggest such a plan.
Original post by Ace123
It seems like absolute madness that the UK are sending 750 troops to the centre of the Ebola outbreak. First of all soldiers have signed up to protect the nation not to deal with this and also the government have been completely incompetent with Ebola- they have not stopped flights from the affected regions and have not introduced screening.

Now they are sending troops- what about risk of soldiers getting it? risk of them bringing it back to the UK? plus even if they are there can they really held in addition to medics already there

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29542129

What better way to protect the nation than deal with a threat to it at source before it becomes a problem in the UK.

A few friends have gone and they don't mind going.

I'd like to know how the governments been incompetent with Ebola? The UK is taking the lead in Sierra leone to deal with the outbreak. The Us Liberia and the French the ivory coast
Original post by SophiaLDN
Troops? Typical response from the UK (and USA). If you're going to send somebody, why not take a leaf out of Cuba's books and send doctors/ health professionals?

Didn't they send troops to the Congo?

The troops are going to build medical facilities you muppet.

Sending a doctor and a health professional to a non existent hospital isn't going to be helpful.

You do realise that the armed forces also have engineers, doctors and logistics personel?
Nope we shouldn't be sending anyone over there or even be accepting them back into the country, if someone comes back from that country or anywhere near one with it then they should be put straight into isolation for few months to make sure. Then after a few months be allowed back into the country this would be a really good prevention.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending