The Student Room Group

Graduate entry medicine degree grades?

I'm currently in my second year of a chemistry degree and thinking of applying next year through graduate entry medicine, while in my third year, if I get a first this year, as my personal tutor said I would be predicted a first for the end of my degree if i accomplished that. The thing with my uni is that, my first year did not count to my overall degree grade. So i took that year very casually, and ended up with a low grade. Im now putting in the work now for my second year which does actually count. I have no idea what happens when applying, but I have heard that degree grades must be input also. Does this mean I would need to input both first year and second year grades? If so, do you think my low first year grades will effect me greatly even if my reference clearly hints im on track for a first based on significantly higher second year grades? Finally, is the application just like undergraduate where people input grade predictions for their final year i.e AAA, meaning somewhere I would need to input a final grade prediction of 1st class honours? A reply to this by someone who has already applied would mean a lot, thank you
Original post by aaarrrjjj
I'm currently in my second year of a chemistry degree and thinking of applying next year through graduate entry medicine, while in my third year, if I get a first this year, as my personal tutor said I would be predicted a first for the end of my degree if i accomplished that. The thing with my uni is that, my first year did not count to my overall degree grade. So i took that year very casually, and ended up with a low grade. Im now putting in the work now for my second year which does actually count. I have no idea what happens when applying, but I have heard that degree grades must be input also. Does this mean I would need to input both first year and second year grades? If so, do you think my low first year grades will effect me greatly even if my reference clearly hints im on track for a first based on significantly higher second year grades? Finally, is the application just like undergraduate where people input grade predictions for their final year i.e AAA, meaning somewhere I would need to input a final grade prediction of 1st class honours? A reply to this by someone who has already applied would mean a lot, thank you

Unless a university asked specifically for your transcript you wouldn't tell them what you got each year. It is all based on overall degree mark, so for you it would be your predicted grade (which you would put on UCAS and your reference would also mention).

Also a 2.1 is sufficient for most places.
For what its worth I put in all of my modular results for my degrees - demonstrated higher level chemistry though I suppose OP wont have the same problem. I just didn't want to give any centre any doubt of my abilities or background. I couldn't be bothered doing this for A levels though.

While a 2.i is okay most places you still have to check your A levels because theres nothing worse than being rejected based on those. Certainly Birmingham only accept 1st class degrees - this is still the same even if you have a masters!

I was never asked for a transcript - just my overall classification.

Unless the medical school specifies they want a particular mark (for example, a "good" 2:1, i.e. 65+) there's no need to go into details.

You don't input the predicted classification into UCAS, I would assume that your referee/tutor will include it as part of their reference.
Reply 4
Thanks a lot guys, knowing I don't necessarily need to include my individual grades is good news. Perhaps I can just input my second year grades as those are the ones i'll want to show off. My A level grades were not bad, AAB, A's in bio and chem, so i hope that goes in my favour when i apply.
Thanks a lot guys, knowing I don't necessarily need to include my individual grades is good news. Perhaps I can just input my second year grades as those are the ones i'll want to show off. My A level grades were not bad, AAB, A's in bio and chem, so i hope that goes in my favour when i apply.

It won't make a difference though - include it if you like, but a predicted first is a predicted first. Whether your average up til now has been 85% or 70%. The med schools just want to see that you are predicted a 2:1 or a 1st...having a higher percentage won't make you more likely to get an offer. Hell, having a first won't give you an advantage over someone with a 2:1. That's not how GEM works - your degree counts for surprisingly little once you've passed the 2:1/1st hurdle.

But before planning to show anything off, actually do the exams first - second year surprises a lot of students :wink:
Reply 6
Original post by Democracy
It won't make a difference though - include it if you like, but a predicted first is a predicted first. Whether your average up til now has been 85% or 70%. The med schools just want to see that you are predicted a 2:1 or a 1st...having a higher percentage won't make you more likely to get an offer. Hell, having a first won't give you an advantage over someone with a 2:1. That's not how GEM works - your degree counts for surprisingly little once you've passed the 2:1/1st hurdle.

But before planning to show anything off, actually do the exams first - second year surprises a lot of students :wink:

Haha true about needing to do my exams first.. Yeah after reading a bit, the degree does seem to not hold too much importance, i feel like a high ukcat and gamsat will be way more critical in earning a place. I also really need to sort out some sort of long term volunteering.
Haha true about needing to do my exams first.. Yeah after reading a bit, the degree does seem to not hold too much importance, i feel like a high ukcat and gamsat will be way more critical in earning a place. I also really need to sort out some sort of long term volunteering.

Definitely :smile: Go for it dude.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending