The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by bobsy101
Need help with SAQ personal statement. Civil engineering, anyone?

I don't do civil engineering, but I used it to say why I wanted to go to Cambridge, why I liked the course structure so much, and just show how excited I am by the subject, if that helps
Original post by L'Evil Fish
C'est bizarre :tongue:

It's just really hard to learn German words

Agreed. I've lived in Frankfurt 17 years and I'm still terrible at the language. Definitely not easy to learn..

On an unrelated note, anyone know if/when Robinson gets in touch with their applicants and if there are any forms to fill out for them?
Reply 182
From Amsterdam!

I'm surprised universities are already making offers. It's still October, mind you.
I haven't recieved any offers yet. Besides Cambridge I've applied to Bath, St. Andrews and Edinburgh.
Reply 183
Do the college contact us about when to send off work or do we do that ourselves??
Haha hey all!! I have my medicine interview in 3 days :O This is stressful haha damnn
Congrats on your offer mate, ive applied to Cambridge imperial bath manchester and Surrey for chem eng :smile: just out of curiosity when did you send your application? Which college in Cambridge are you applying to?
Original post by The Clockwork Apple
Outside Cambridge, have you people received any offers?
I have one from Manchester for ChemEng (AAA in any from Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Further Maths). I'm still waiting to hear back from UCL, Imperial and Birmingham (and Cambridge of course).
I really hope I get a AAB offer from UCL. I'd love to have it as an insurance.
Original post by Elcor
Manchester AAA for Aerospace Engineering. Also I didn't know you were overseas. :eek:

Yeah! It's good, 'cause apart from Cambridge, I'm not expecting any interviews! (Might still get one from UCL or Imperial)
Original post by #betahouse
Congrats on your offer mate, ive applied to Cambridge imperial bath manchester and Surrey for chem eng :smile: just out of curiosity when did you send your application? Which college in Cambridge are you applying to?

Thank you very much. I sent my application the 30th of September, so I received an offer around 15 days after that. I called Birmingham and the admissions tutor said that if I hadn't received my offer by the week that just passed, I'd receive it this week! I'm excited for that. I applied to Churchill at Cambridge.
Good luck with your application. Chemical engineering is an amazing career path!
Also I hear Bath is super fast when replying to offers (not sure if this applies to ChemEng though). Manchester shouldn't take longer than 2 weeks for you, same as for me.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by CVK Abhiroop
Haha hey all!! I have my medicine interview in 3 days :O This is stressful haha damnn

Good luck! What were your grades? Have you prepared well for the interview?
Good luck! What were your grades? Have you prepared well for the interview?

Haha we don't get to see our predicted grades (cause our school doesn't want us to), but I reckon its a 43 points for IB :biggrin:

Uhh wellllll how do you ever know? I have questioned about my existence several times over the past few weeks, I've tried to talk to my friends about deep intellectual conversations about sciences, I've tried to have practice interviews with my friends and parents, but I am still worried as hell :frown:
Haha we don't get to see our predicted grades (cause our school doesn't want us to), but I reckon its a 43 points for IB :biggrin:

Uhh wellllll how do you ever know? I have questioned about my existence several times over the past few weeks, I've tried to talk to my friends about deep intellectual conversations about sciences, I've tried to have practice interviews with my friends and parents, but I am still worried as hell :frown:

So you're practising! Then I'm sure you'll do fine. The important thing is to focus!
I sent my application on the 14th of October :tongue: probably why I haven't got any replies yet. what was your avg ums? Im applying to Fitzwilliam :smile: yeah ive heard that bath is really fast thats why im kinda scared now :tongue:
Thank you very much. I sent my application the 30th of September, so I received an offer around 15 days after that. I called Birmingham and the admissions tutor said that if I hadn't received my offer by the week that just passed, I'd receive it this week! I'm excited for that. I applied to Churchill at Cambridge.
Good luck with your application. Chemical engineering is an amazing career path!
Also I hear Bath is super fast when replying to offers (not sure if this applies to ChemEng though). Manchester shouldn't take longer than 2 weeks for you, same as for me.
So you're practising! Then I'm sure you'll do fine. The important thing is to focus!

Haha focus during the interview is it? Is it ok if I 1) digress and 2) add 'uhs' while speaking?

1) i realised I tend to take one thing, and eventually end up somewhere else completely at times. I mean i answer the question, but then somehow I feel the need to continue talking. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Should I like immediately stop after answering the question, or should I just keep going?

2) My friends said while I don't stammer on my answers, I tend to add 'uhs' alot. Should I be worried about this :frown:
Original post by #betahouse
I sent my application on the 14th of October :tongue: probably why I haven't got any replies yet. what was your avg ums? Im applying to Fitzwilliam :smile: yeah ive heard that bath is really fast thats why im kinda scared now :tongue:

My average is horrible, tbh! 87.3% across Maths physics and chemistry (my board does FM as a full A level, there's no AS). Hbu?
Haha focus during the interview is it? Is it ok if I 1) digress and 2) add 'uhs' while speaking?

1) i realised I tend to take one thing, and eventually end up somewhere else completely at times. I mean i answer the question, but then somehow I feel the need to continue talking. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Should I like immediately stop after answering the question, or should I just keep going?

2) My friends said while I don't stammer on my answers, I tend to add 'uhs' alot. Should I be worried about this :frown:

Remember you're not the only one who is not fully prepared for the interview!
Remember you're not the only one who is not fully prepared for the interview!

Sigh :frown: Well hopefully it goes well haha

Wow!! How did you get a medicine interview so early?:s-smilie:
Anyone doing History? I'm doing it with education, and feel as though my personal statement wasn't as strong on the History front. I would really appreciate some recommendations on things I should read and any other suggestions what so ever. Thaaaaanks.
Reply 198

Saying 'uh' isn't a problem.

Saying a lot is better than saying not enough, but you should probably try to focus on what's being asked. It's also better to think a bit more about what you're going to say first than just blurt out a stream of consciousness.

Just remember that literally everyone who gets in has a few embarrassing interview moments when they said something really stupid or messed up. Odd 10-20 second silences are also quite common.

I think the best advice I would give for an interview is just forget its an interview and discuss the subject matter like you would with a teacher. The interviewers are definitely there to help you out or get you to think more, they aren't there to make you worse.
Reply 199

They really want you to think about your answers, so pausing won't be a problem, or saying 'uh' at times. Expanding on your answers is good, or making transferable by using other examples (if it's that kind of question).

Everyone is nervous, stammers, and has embarrassing moments, so you'll be fine.

Latest

Trending

Trending