The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CaitlinDy
Is this UK students or EU/ other students?

Posted from TSR Mobile

EU for me, probably why they told me so early
Original post by newblood
Actually its less likely to be the people who do double maths as although they do high, all their maths modules are collated in one so theyve got about 6-8 modules to lose the marks on rather than 2 or 3. Id suspect its Arts subjects as they often give out 100UMS as there isnt a rigid points based markscheme

I don't know, I've seen a greater number of STEM candidates with 99-100% UMS. The flexibility of Mark Schemes works both ways - getting full marks in a Philosophy essay is difficult, because one has to convince the examiner. No such thing exists in the sciences. I'm not saying one is more difficult than the other, but I'm not sure that the flexibility of the mark schemes can explain the disparity.
Original post by tomfailinghelp
I don't know, I've seen a greater number of STEM candidates with 99-100% UMS. The flexibility of Mark Schemes works both ways - getting full marks in a Philosophy essay is difficult, because one has to convince the examiner. No such thing exists in the sciences. I'm not saying one is more difficult than the other, but I'm not sure that the flexibility of the mark schemes can explain the disparity.

I maintain that English is the hardest to get 100%.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EHZ17

Posted from TSR Mobile

For an individual maybe

But the total number perhaps differs

? Just a thought, don't know
Original post by Jasey
There's likely to be trolls but then again I think people with 99-100 wouldn't be hesitant to submit their result aha

Very true :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by L'Evil Fish
For an individual maybe

But the total number perhaps differs

? Just a thought, don't know

Purely because its so subjective

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EHZ17
Purely because its so subjective

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes so it may be harder for an individual, but as a group it might not be harder
UMS is weighted so that the top 1% gets 100%, top second% gets 99% etc so there isn't any actual difference between STEM and arts subjects since it isn't the raw marks we are considering :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 588
My school told me that getting full UMS in humanities is largely unheard of but more common in sciences. This isn't debating which subjects are harder but more that the disparity and subjectivity in mark schemes compared to the right or wrong nature of science and maths means that if you're good at science and maths then 100% is realistic and to some extent predictable but if you're good at humanities you don't ever know if you'll get 90% or 95%. I concur that the hardest to get it in is probably English Literature also. I know that for the OCR spec as well full UMS is literally full marks in coursework and exam so there's no leeway and the marking is still harsh
Original post by Clara Lat
EU for me, probably why they told me so early

When did you apply? I'm from EU as well; I thought that EU students get information about interviews in the end of November
:confused:
Original post by Jasey
My school told me that getting full UMS in humanities is largely unheard of but more common in sciences. This isn't debating which subjects are harder but more that the disparity and subjectivity in mark schemes compared to the right or wrong nature of science and maths means that if you're good at science and maths then 100% is realistic and to some extent predictable but if you're good at humanities you don't ever know if you'll get 90% or 95%. I concur that the hardest to get it in is probably English Literature also. I know that for the OCR spec as well full UMS is literally full marks in coursework and exam so there's no leeway and the marking is still harsh

On the WJEC spec 100% raw is the only way you can get 100% UMS

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 591
Original post by EHZ17
On the WJEC spec 100% raw is the only way you can get 100% UMS

Posted from TSR Mobile

Was your English WJEC then? Insane subject
Re people worried by the poll: 70 self-selecting respondents out of 16,000+ applicants = probably not representative :wink:

It is fun though...!
Hi, has anyone received any correspondence from Caius? Getting worried over here :s-smilie:
Original post by serafina44
When did you apply? I'm from EU as well; I thought that EU students get information about interviews in the end of November
:confused:

I sent UCAS on Oct 10 and the COPA on Oct 13, but I live outside of EU so maybe that's another reason, don't worry!
I also applied on the 15th and got a mail from the college....but somwhere it was written that I have just bern alocated(open ap) and it is not an invitation to the interview, because that depend on the saq or somehting like that

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EHZ17

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're telling me!! I got 100% in the exam but didn't get 100% overall because I flopped the coursework :colondollar: That's pretty much the most shameful thing that could happen in terms of missing marks
Original post by Jasey

I hope you're right!
Original post by newblood
Actually its less likely to be the people who do double maths as although they do high, all their maths modules are collated in one so theyve got about 6-8 modules to lose the marks on rather than 2 or 3. Id suspect its Arts subjects as they often give out 100UMS as there isnt a rigid points based markscheme

My school had 3 people get offers for maths (2 eventually got in because 1 was Chinese and got something like a B in his exam because he didn't understand any of it), all of whom got full marks or near enough to itin their maths A-Level (they do FM in year 13).

In contrast, although I have full marks across A Level Religious Studies, I'm fairly sure I'm the first person in like 5 or 6 years to do this.
Original post by bored565
My school had 3 people get offers for maths (2 eventually got in because 1 was Chinese and got something like a B in his exam because he didn't understand any of it), all of whom got full marks or near enough to itin their maths A-Level (they do FM in year 13).

In contrast, although I have full marks across A Level Religious Studies, I'm fairly sure I'm the first person in like 5 or 6 years to do this.

I have fullmarks in my maths alevel. But my maths average is only 93% because there are so many others to drag it down. The people you mention would likely not have 100% ums even in their mathd average by cambridge standards

Also that is anecdotal evidence you are basing on. I have a friend who got 400/400 in Alevrl Philosophy which he did in year 12 while he also got BCDD in his AS in maths, bio, chem, physics as well as 2 FM modules which i dont think went particularly well either. That points the evidence in the other way

This is all speculation at the end of the day, and it is pointless speculation at that
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending