The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SerLorasTyrell

Me too! Do you know who your interviewers are?

Posted from TSR Mobile
History Interview for the 11th at Homerton college! Two medieval historians in my subject specific interview!! I am bricking it!
Original post by EHZ17
Does anybody know of we are allowed to make notes for the preparatory study? To organise thoughts and make points ect, or does it have to be kept in your head?

Thaaaaaaaaanks m8

Posted from TSR Mobile

BUMP

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aersh8
Me too! Do you know who your interviewers are?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yup sure do, all biologist associated with St. John's other than the general one, yours the same?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think we are allowed to make notes but aren't allowed anything else with us while making them? Not sure though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5985
Original post by Master219
Yh, I live in Dubai, got an interview at Cambridge for medicine on 9 dec so taking a flight on 6th to UK (I applied as home not international)
wbu

I have a Mathematics Aptitude test to sit at churchill on 9th and interview to attend on 10th. Why are you going so early?

Original post by Sapphire0258
Woah I am! When are you going?

Haven't booked my flight yet and ticket prices are rising like no tomorrow.:biggrin:

Original post by ChemPrince
Not me! But I love Dubai.. And the food across the whole UAE!

Ps: sorry I'm a crazy foodie :P

Original post by L'Evil Fish
Meeeeee

No but... I need a holiday back there.

All the foooood

Whenever I mention the word "Dubai", I expect to get comments on the weather. Food is new, but I can relate :^_^:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Shehr
No problem! :smile: Based on my opinion, I think the interviewers are generally equipped with enough knowledge on all HSPS subjects to interview you, despite being qualified in others. I chose Politics as my main choice but my first interview was largely about Biological Anthropology. Plus, HSPS is such an interdisciplinary course that most of these subjects are somehow linked, which is why they've given you a spectrum of interviewers (to see if you can find these links). It's good to just read up on some of the descriptions of the subjects just so you have a broad idea of what they are. I'm pretty certain that you're going to get a few random questions on things you don't know. That's just to test you and observe your thought process. Just keep attacking the question and don't give up on it. That's what they're really looking for. :smile:

Ooh thanks!
Yeah I figured it would be the case. I've made sure I've made a connection between all the subjects, so that I have at least one way of approaching it at the very least. I'll be reading a bit more about archaeology and biological anthropology, which are weak spots for me at the moment, and make a few notes that will help me keep context. Hopefully that basic knowledge combined with the way I think and process things should be enough to get me through :smile:
Thanks again!
Reply 5987
Original post by JamesJL
Sorry to hear about your issue,

My advice would be (if you haven't), to ring up the admissions and describe your situation just as you have done now. If you have the money, may I suggest a hotel?

Hey guys,

Thanks for the responses I rang the admissions office, explained everything and now have accommodation. Thanks a lot for the help! Woo hoo! Good luck to all with their applications.
Original post by Robertus
Yes, it definitely wasn't without it's faults. Unfortunately, though, I think introducing the comprehensive system worsened that dilemma in many areas. Instead of having some of the non-rich kids going to grammar schools and then to the top universities, you have many more now going to bog-standard comprehensives and thrown in with kids of lower ability and those with little ambition to learn. And the dichotomy between these comprehensives and the private schools (as well as some remaining grammar schools) is in many ways larger than ever. Comprehensively educated children just do not have the same opportunities as the privately educated do.

In an ideal system, I'd like to see standards of teaching raise across the board. It wouldn't ever happen exactly as we want it to, but there's no reason comprehensive school children can't be pushed to the same level that grammar/private school children are. Schools of both kinds need to have an academic focus, with vocational subjects as entirely optional.

To address your last point, the simple way to rectify that is to have, as I said, several points of entry into grammar schools. So most likely at 11, 13, and 16. The grammar schools should also maintain strict requirements, so that those who pass the entrance exam at 11/13 but flop their GCSEs for instance cannot be admitted into the Sixth Form.

Really, though, the most pressing issue is the terrible standard of many comprehensive schools in this country. To put it into perspective, mine is one of the better comprehensives in my area. In 2013, we achieved a 67% 5 A*-C rate at GCSE. A nearby grammar school - that several people I know went to - attained 99%, and has had 100% in previous years. That's utterly absurd, and to think that there are schools out there much worse than that is appalling.

I'm from a poor working class family, who got into grammar school after sitting the 11+... as far as I know, its still implemented here in Birmingham (I start a tutoring job tomorrow that supports working class children to strive to get into grammar school via the 11+).
I think the correlation between money / class and grammar schools is largely due to the opportunity money can bring - whether thats being academically pushed in a private school, being taught by people who have a highly academic background or being able to afford tutoring. I'm not sure how it works in other localities in England though, is it based on fees? Or have they scrapped grammar schools all together?

I do completely agree with you regarding the state of comp. education. Living and working in the low socioeconomic community I do, I see how little kids are actually taught in comparison to what I was... basic things such as academic writing or critical thinking. I still never fully appreciated the standard of my education until I came back to college as a mature student, and realised how much context, knowledge and skills I was taught and took for granted.

I think grammar schools are a good way of really bringing the best out of those who are academically gifted, but the general standard of education also has to be brought up in comprehensive schools so that children are being supported to achieve no matter where they are educated.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by HopefulLawyerHG
I think we are allowed to make notes but aren't allowed anything else with us while making them? Not sure though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hope so otherwise we will have to remember all the points and usually when that happens I tend to forget some. I want to be able to organise my thoughts on paper :/
Original post by MasterOfTheSwag
Interview for Natural Sciences at Caius on the 10th :smile:

Physical or biological? :smile:
Original post by SerLorasTyrell
Yup sure do, all biologist associated with St. John's other than the general one, yours the same?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah :smile: I got a mathematician for my general one. Do you think the subject interviews will have anything to do with the specialties of the interviewers or just more general biology?

Posted from TSR Mobile
So I'm seeing people on here with two or three interviews, and I only have one..? What's the significance of this?
Original post by bored565
So I'm seeing people on here with two or three interviews, and I only have one..? What's the significance of this?

A large amount of applications for the same course and college, according to my physics teacher. I also have 1 interviewer for both of mine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Starting to like the idea of a meal with some of you people on the 11th.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Interview from Downing for Medicine today! I am so relieved!
Original post by aprocrastinator
Interview from Downing for Medicine today! I am so relieved!

Congratulations! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Elcor
Starting to like the idea of a meal with some of you people on the 11th.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So you'd be down for it?

I forgot the other users name... The moroccan one

Cerlohee will also come.
Two friends of mine will be in camb, don't think they'll come though, cos they're with their parents.

Anyone else? Around 7pm 11th December
I've already asked this before so sorry to repeat but I didn't get any replies - for people who're travelling the night before, what time are you getting to Cambridge? I feel like I might be very early
Original post by aersh8
Yeah :smile: I got a mathematician for my general one. Do you think the subject interviews will have anything to do with the specialties of the interviewers or just more general biology?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I really don't know, I'd presume the latter. Think I have the same guy to start with too actually haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending