The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by L'Evil Fish
I think we should stop getting het up about UMS and stuff.

It's done now, lets just wait until interviews and stuff.

Yeah I agree with this
Original post by EHZ17
What are you doing to prepare? I've heard a lot of people are doing courses on how to answer questions coherently and stuff. I don't see the point in all fairness.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I haven't done anything :frown: I really need to though. I think my interview will be quite physics based but I'd have preferred a mathsy one.

I didn't even know courses like that existed :redface:
Reply 782
Has anyone applying to St Catharine's received an email other than the confirmation one?
A part of me doesn't want to prepare at all, and just go in and see what happens... I wonder if I'll do that :moon:
Reply 784
Original post by HeavisideDelts
But it is common sense. When you get an interview question youre meant to think the question out, with hints from interviewer. You cant just ask him for the answer...

Okay but this isn't an interview, it's the student room
A part of me doesn't want to prepare at all, and just go in and see what happens... I wonder if I'll do that :moon:

I wish I could do this, may have basically committed myself to remembering pretty much the whole recent history of western Philosophy in my PS...
Reply 786

:rofl:
Original post by tomfailinghelp
I wish I could do this, may have basically committed myself to remembering pretty much the whole recent history of western Philosophy in my PS...

:lol: Oh god my PS... Maybe I shouldn't have spoken about oxidation of drugs within the body :facepalm:

Gah I'll have to do some research or I'll be shooting myself in the foot.

I'm quite excited for it
:lol: Oh god my PS... Maybe I shouldn't have spoken about oxidation of drugs within the body :facepalm:

Gah I'll have to do some research or I'll be shooting myself in the foot.

I'm quite excited for it

You know, I am too!
I haven't done anything :frown: I really need to though. I think my interview will be quite physics based but I'd have preferred a mathsy one.

I didn't even know courses like that existed :redface:

Yeah my school subsidises a course which would have costed around £200. I think I have a game plan though. For economics I will try and finish all my A2 Maths, brush up on AS maths, brush up on AS econ, keep reading and also buy a few logical/problem solving books to work through, maybe do a few TSAs and have a look at STEP papers. I think the key thing for everyone is to revise everything they have put on their personal statements as this will form the basis of interview to an extent.

I'm just preparing for my maths one now. I fancy my chances but it frightens me that they could ask anything. I would hate to have to take loads of hints and still be stuck!
Original post by EHZ17
Yeah my school subsidises a course which would have costed around £200. I think I have a game plan though. For economics I will try and finish all my A2 Maths, brush up on AS maths, brush up on AS econ, keep reading and also buy a few logical/problem solving books to work through, maybe do a few TSAs and have a look at STEP papers. I think the key thing for everyone is to revise everything they have put on their personal statements as this will form the basis of interview to an extent.

I'm just preparing for my maths one now. I fancy my chances but it frightens me that they could ask anything. I would hate to have to take loads of hints and still be stuck!

Oh wow.

Sounds like a plan!

I just realised my PS is quite medicinal chem and stuff... So Biological, yet I'm applying for physical natsci. And despite applying for Chemistry, I asked for a physics preference at interview...

They're Gonna ask me why and I don't know :lol: I just enjoy them all so thought I'd choose bits and bobs so I can get a feel of it all.

Aah maths. I think I might do what you're doing, have a look at some Mat papers or something.
Oh wow.

Sounds like a plan!

I just realised my PS is quite medicinal chem and stuff... So Biological, yet I'm applying for physical natsci. And despite applying for Chemistry, I asked for a physics preference at interview...

They're Gonna ask me why and I don't know :lol: I just enjoy them all so thought I'd choose bits and bobs so I can get a feel of it all.

Aah maths. I think I might do what you're doing, have a look at some Mat papers or something.

Yeah, I think all in all it will just be an experience. Even if we don't get in we will remember the interview for quite possibly the rest of out lives just due to the prestige of the place. I'm going to approach it as if I have nothing to loose and all to gain - which is true - but I'll probably still find myself stressed about it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HeavisideDelts
But it is common sense. When you get an interview question youre meant to think the question out, with hints from interviewer. You cant just ask him for the answer...

Listen, I thought he was talking about one exam and therefore 5/8 would be the probability. Did not realise he was talking about all 8. It is really a question of my reading ability more than my mathematical ability. Continue to try and knock me, why would I care what you think? Christ, if I walk into an interview with your arrogant state of mind it wouldn't matter if I'm Will Hunting, I would get rejected

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd like my interview (should I get one) to be very physics based with some maths. But they'll probably ask a question on binomial coefficient which is the one maths concept I cannot get my head around. Hm.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EHZ17
Yeah, I think all in all it will just be an experience. Even if we don't get in we will remember the interview for quite possibly the rest of out lives just due to the prestige of the place. I'm going to approach it as if I have nothing to loose and all to gain - which is true - but I'll probably still find myself stressed about it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It'll be a nice trip up regardless:woo:

And I'll happily go to Bristol
While interesting. Some are responding with their best 3, some with their best 4 ( because all maths modules done are used not just 3 but however many you have done, be that 3,4 5 or 6 and then weighed accordingly) .Some have used the most relevant 3 or 4 instead of their best . But given Cambridge also produce a table with 4 ASs done and another with 5 AS levels done where applicable I am not sure the poll means much.
I know we're moving away from UMS etc but I thought these graphs might be reassuring and clarify some of the problems!

It seems that the majority of offers for STEM are at a slightly higher UMS (90-100) whereas english/history etc sits slightly below at (85-100).

It would also appear that in english/history etc that there are VERY FEW with 99-100 UMS.

Finally, there are offers at 0 A*'s so for the guys that were worrying, you don't need to.

http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/teachers/docs/student_conference_teacher_forum_presentation.pdf
Original post by Zero to Hero
While interesting. Some are responding with their best 3, some with their best 4 ( because all maths modules done are used not just 3 but however many you have done, be that 3,4 5 or 6 and then weighed accordingly) .Some have used the most relevant 3 or 4 instead of their best . But given Cambridge also produce a table with 4 ASs done and another with 5 AS levels done where applicable I am not sure the poll means much.

I don't think there's any point in it tbh

People don't seem to know how to calculate their % anyway
UCAS TRACK IS DOWN!! :'( :'(

Anyone know how to access it? I've had an email saying there is a change in my application. But track is down for maintenance until Monday! Someone please help me...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rainybird
UCAS TRACK IS DOWN!! :'( :'(

Anyone know how to access it? I've had an email saying there is a change in my application. But track is down for maintenance until Monday! Someone please help me...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Omg unlucky

It's maintenance

Not back till Monday

Check individual uni trackers

Latest

Trending

Trending