The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zero to Hero
If you look on Unistats at the ucas points that Cambridge students enter with it is clear that the vast majority must have 4 A levels.
Take economics, 67% had over 600 ucas points, 13% 560-600, 13%520-559, 3% 480-519,3% 440-479.No one entering cambridge last year to do economics did so with less than 440 points.given that 3A*s and an additional A at AS is 480 points.it implies that very few doing just 3 A levels got an offer to do economics!

You're right, freedom of information requests demonstrate that pretty much all successful applicants take 4 A-Levels.
Original post by tomfailinghelp
You're right, freedom of information requests demonstrate that pretty much all successful applicants take 4 A-Levels.

In Nat science 77% had over 600 UMS on entry. In Maths it was 83%.
Cambridge clearly do require 4 A levels for most subjects. I think the reason they deny it is because 1) they don't want to be accused of encouraging people to do more than they are capable of which would compromise their ability to get into even a second line University and 2) because they don't want to exclude those with extenuating circumstances that could only have been able to take 3. But it is clear that those that could have taken more than 3 are in reality expected to do so.
I can see their point in that they only want the people who did not feel that they had wanted to or needed to give up a subject but it is a pity they can't be more clear if that is their policy, which it appears to be.
Cambridge clearly do require 4 A levels for most subjects. I think the reason they deny it is because 1) they don't want to be accused of encouraging people to do more than they are capable of which would compromise their ability to get into even a second line University and 2) because they don't want to exclude those with extenuating circumstances that could only have been able to take 3. But it is clear that those that could have taken more than 3 are in reality expected to do so.
I can see their point in that they only want the people who did not feel that they had wanted to or needed to give up a subject but it is a pity they can't be more clear if that is their policy, which it appears to be.

Yeah I agree.

I would have absolutely no problem with the policy if it was clear, but I've now dropped a (really easy) subject in which I could have done well but just wasn't interested and it seems like this could spoil my chances.

One thing though, some people do take 5 or 6 AS-Levels and then drop two. There could be a few of those bandying about.
Original post by tomfailinghelp
Yeah I agree.

I would have absolutely no problem with the policy if it was clear, but I've now dropped a (really easy) subject in which I could have done well but just wasn't interested and it seems like this could spoil my chances.

One thing though, some people do take 5 or 6 AS-Levels and then drop two. There could be a few of those bandying about.

I have seen your stats, they are excellent and the reason you dropped one clearly was not because you were struggling. Maybe you could email the college for some reassurance or ask in the interview?
They clearly do make exceptions. After all it is not a stated policy.Yours seems an obvious one. Maybe ask at your school and maybe they could seek clarification for you.
I have seen your stats, they are excellent and the reason you dropped one clearly was not because you were struggling. Maybe you could email the college for some reassurance or ask in the interview?
They clearly do make exceptions. After all it is not a stated policy.Yours seems an obvious one. Maybe ask at your school and maybe they could seek clarification for you.

Yeah I will thanks dude. I'm gonna try to get back on the course if I can, it's Sociology so it wouldn't be a mountain to climb or anything, but if I can't I might say something in interview (if I get one).
If you look on Unistats at the ucas points that Cambridge students enter with it is clear that the vast majority must have 4 A levels.
Take economics, 67% had over 600 ucas points, 13% 560-600, 13%520-559, 3% 480-519,3% 440-479.No one entering cambridge last year to do economics did so with less than 440 points.given that 3A*s and an additional A at AS is 480 points.it implies that very few doing just 3 A levels got an offer to do economics!

I doubt they would discriminate in my case. For example I am doing 3A2s and 1 extra AS in FM. I could have done 4A2s with the additional A2 in Physics but I have dropped Physics to pick up FM. FM has 1 more exam that Physics so it is hardly less work and some may even say AS FM is harder than A2 Physics. I wouldn't pay too much attention to those stats; if you are doing 4 of anything you will be fine... As long as your UMS is good :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lmao 99-100 has quickly risen to be the modal score on here, dunno how useful that poll is anymore :tongue:

In other news, I still haven't received an allocation! Getting a little worried now. Sent an email 2 days ago but still no response :frown:
Original post by Navo D.
Lmao 99-100 has quickly risen to be the modal score on here, dunno how useful that poll is anymore :tongue:

In other news, I still haven't received an allocation! Getting a little worried now. Sent an email 2 days ago but still no response :frown:

I sent them an email yesterday and received an acknowledgement email from murray edwards 30 minutes later. You should hear back from one of the colleges soon!
Reply 1188

In reality, the number of subjects is more correlation than causation. If you are really serious about science and don't find it hard then fitting in 4 subjects isnt that bad. Also most schools and colleges wont let people only do 3 if two of these are maths and further maths.

But no way do they reject people because they have 3. There are a lot of natscis who "only" did 3 A2s. And a lot of those who did more had this number inflated by critical thinking/ general studies. You can also get ucas points outside of A-Levels, which is why the points system is a weird metric. E.g. I think I got about 1000 points, and a lot of that was through music, which didn't influence me getting in at all

I don't think it's a case of "clearly they require four a levels" at all I just think that the calibre of people applying for Cambridge tends to be comprised of those that can easily take four or five A2, and generally they are the stronger candidates, hence why "most" students at Cambridge have 4 A2s.
I was quoted by the DoS at Churchill that the average student at Cambridge (studying sciences at least) has 3.4 A*s.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by L'Evil Fish
^ things like that are ridiculous, unfair how much of an advantage some people ultimately get.

They've been banned.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
They've been banned.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're not allowed to advertise :lol:

That's why
Original post by L'Evil Fish
You're not allowed to advertise :lol:

That's why

I know. Not very clever are they....

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am an international student applying for medicine. The total fees including tuition/living/college fees is around £45,000.

Cambridge says this on their website:

"You need to be able to prove that you can finance yourself for your entire course as it's not possible for you to work during the academic session to pay your way through the University. Colleges ask for financial guarantees and proof is also required when applying for a visa."

Does that mean that my ability to pay is assessed as a part of my application?
And those who cant pay have less chances to get an offer?
Original post by rachelc142
I don't think it's a case of "clearly they require four a levels" at all I just think that the calibre of people applying for Cambridge tends to be comprised of those that can easily take four or five A2, and generally they are the stronger candidates, hence why "most" students at Cambridge have 4 A2s.
I was quoted by the DoS at Churchill that the average student at Cambridge (studying sciences at least) has 3.4 A*s.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Note he said 3.4A*s not 3.4 A levels. Rather supports my point if you think about it.
Allocated to Magdalene :smile:
Original post by EHZ17
I doubt they would discriminate in my case. For example I am doing 3A2s and 1 extra AS in FM. I could have done 4A2s with the additional A2 in Physics but I have dropped Physics to pick up FM. FM has 1 more exam that Physics so it is hardly less work and some may even say AS FM is harder than A2 Physics. I wouldn't pay too much attention to those stats; if you are doing 4 of anything you will be fine... As long as your UMS is good :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You are right, they will look at all modules you have done and are doing and take a view on whether what you are doing is comparable in workload terms to other candidates. If you drop a subject in order to take up another more relevant one, then that is clearly different than dropping it because you were struggling in it.
But you can see why Cambridge do value 4 A levels as it shows a clear ability to do well in a range of subjects and a willingness to take on significant academic workload. I just think they should make that clearer before people give up subjects that they could continued with.
Original post by R T
In reality, the number of subjects is more correlation than causation. If you are really serious about science and don't find it hard then fitting in 4 subjects isnt that bad. Also most schools and colleges wont let people only do 3 if two of these are maths and further maths.

But no way do they reject people because they have 3. There are a lot of natscis who "only" did 3 A2s. And a lot of those who did more had this number inflated by critical thinking/ general studies. You can also get ucas points outside of A-Levels, which is why the points system is a weird metric. E.g. I think I got about 1000 points, and a lot of that was through music, which didn't influence me getting in at all

It may well be correlation rather than causation. Most people give up an A level in order to retake some papers. Those that tend to stick with 4 A levels often do so because they don't need to re take anything.
You are right, they will look at all modules you have done and are doing and take a view on whether what you are doing is comparable in workload terms to other candidates. If you drop a subject in order to take up another more relevant one, then that is clearly different than dropping it because you were struggling in it.
But you can see why Cambridge do value 4 A levels as it shows a clear ability to do well in a range of subjects and a willingness to take on significant academic workload. I just think they should make that clearer before people give up subjects that they could continued with.

Yeah true. I'm just a bit annoyed that my school never advocated more AS levels. I could have easily done 5 or 6 (sacrificing a few average UMS percentage points). You see people on here with 6 and I just think my school would have never let anyone do that amount, regardless of GCSE performance. Again, I believe in what someone said earlier, it is more correlation than causation, but leading back to what you said, how would students know that keeping all A2 levels will be a significant plus? Most, including myself, saw that the offer is for 3A2s and people think that's all they need. It is a no-brainer to do 3A2s and meet the grades as it would seem like doing 4 would be unnecessary.
The fact that 97-98 UMS is quite a lot lower on the polls than 99-100 UMS makes me question the legitimacy of these figures :P

Latest

Trending

Trending