The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rachelc142
1) I don't expect to get into Cambridge any more
2) I wouldn't accept an offer if for some crazy miracle reason I got one any more

And the two above reasons are mainly because of this thread xD
Posted from TSR Mobile

1 - nobody expects to get into Cambridge, but try not to let the thread intimidate you. We're not representative of the general cohort.
2 - okay, what?
Original post by ZaynahM
Look, I know this thread might make you feel intimidated because of the sheer caliber of people applying, but most of them went to state schools. I go to one and I'm one of thise people with less than 85% average (given I've had a lot of problems throughout my education) but it's not stopped me. I personally think a lot of private school people do have that advantage, also the fact that they can afford to be tutored in anything probably, and don't necessarily agree with private education but the vast majority of applicants and those accepted are from state schools.

I agree with you on most of that, though I would add that I go to a private school and I sure as hell couldn't afford to get a private tutor. Sure, there are some insanely rich people in my year, but I'm in the situation where I can only go because I got a scholarship, because both my parents work full-time and because my brother goes to state. And a decent proportion of the people in my year are in the same or in a worse position. Not many people at private school are poor, but they're not rich either.
Reply 1382
Original post by ZaynahM
Look, I know this thread might make you feel intimidated because of the sheer caliber of people applying, but most of them went to state schools. I go to one and I'm one of thise people with less than 85% average (given I've had a lot of problems throughout my education) but it's not stopped me. I personally think a lot of private school people do have that advantage, also the fact that they can afford to be tutored in anything probably, and don't necessarily agree with private education but the vast majority of applicants and those accepted are from state schools.

I go to a private school but can only afford it because i'm on a scholarship and bursary, I really resent people assuming that we're all high flying sons of aristocrats. My parents can just about afford my fees and my dad has a second job working evenings just to pay for us, also making lots of personal sacrifices. I sure as hell cannot afford a private tutor. So please (I know this wasn't necessarily you but just a general message) don't think we're all silver-spoon, spoon-fed privileged people. Having said that, I am aware of how spoon-fed some people are but I pride myself on never being like that. I always prefer engaging with content and reading outside of my syllabus to actually be interested in what it is i'm doing - something that's a perk being an essay student and, for example, reading other romantic literature if you're studying Wordsworth in English. So seriously guys, enough with the sweeping statements
Just for some perspective; I'm 24, went to grammar school and only got 3As, 4Bs, 4Cs and 2Ds at GCSE. I had depression but ECF doesn't really apply now due to the time thats passed. I didn't do A levels and I come from a family where nobody is educated beyond GCSE.
I'm enrolled on a Access to HE course at a really, really **** college. But I've applied to Cambridge because I believe I have the ability and the worst they can say is no.

Life is made up of different people. Not everyone at Cambridge will be a straight A* student or from aristocracy. Similarly, not everyone with that background at Cambridge will fit in to the methods of education, or do well there.
Have the confidence that your hard work will pay off, but don't think that the only answer to that will be Oxbridge!
And if not - most of you are pretty young, you can take other routes or options if you need to :smile:

Good luck to all of you nonetheless.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Aish_de_la_Lune
Just for some perspective; I'm 24, went to grammar school and only got 3As, 4Bs, 4Cs and 2Ds at GCSE. I had depression but ECF doesn't really apply now due to the time thats passed. I didn't do A levels and I come from a family where nobody is educated beyond GCSE.
I'm enrolled on a Access to HE course at a really, really **** college. But I've applied to Cambridge because I believe I have the ability and the worst they can say is no.

Life is made up of different people. Not everyone at Cambridge will be a straight A* student or from aristocracy. Similarly, not everyone with that background at Cambridge will fit in to the methods of education, or do well there.
Have the confidence that your hard work will pay off, but don't think that the only answer to that will be Oxbridge!
And if not - most of you are pretty young, you can take other routes or options if you need to :smile:

What course? Without a levels what qualifications are you doing which are equivalent

Posted from TSR Mobile
Poor person at private school reppp
Does the 80% people interviewed apply to every subject? If not, where can I find the statistics?
Original post by physicsmaths
What course? Without a levels what qualifications are you doing which are equivalent

Access to Social Sciences - Level 3 in Sociology, Psychology, Literature and Modern History.
I'm applying for HSPS, which granted is somewhat more flexible than the sciences, but the moral of my post was that not everybody who applies to Cambridge has had the same opportunities or circumstances.
If you work hard, you can get accepted even if it takes several years. It just depends on being self reflective, and being able to take criticism or work that little bit harder than somebody who may have it easier than you.

[URL=http://www.thestudentroom.

I also go to a pretty ****ty college and know people from a similar background to you who have managed to get into Cambridge, (I think it was Lucy Cavendish off the top of my head, amongst others) so it's definitely possible! What college are you applying to?

Good luck to you too! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Hey everyone!

Classics (4 year course) applicant for Peterhouse here. Any others going for my course/college?! :colondollar:
Original post by aworldalone
I also go to a pretty ****ty college and know people from a similar background to you who have managed to get into Cambridge, (I think it was Lucy Cavendish off the top of my head, amongst others) so it's definitely possible! What college are you applying to?

Good luck to you too! :smile:

Thank you :smile:
I took a gamble and applied at Newnham college *eek*
I'm excited and confident, but have also prepared myself for the idea that I might not quite demonstrate the ability they require. At the end of the day, I'll either be accepted or rejected, its 50/50 once I've done my bit... as are most things we don't have control over!

[URL=http://www.thestudentroom.
Original post by Jasey
I go to a private school but can only afford it because i'm on a scholarship and bursary, I really resent people assuming that we're all high flying sons of aristocrats. My parents can just about afford my fees and my dad has a second job working evenings just to pay for us, also making lots of personal sacrifices. I sure as hell cannot afford a private tutor. So please (I know this wasn't necessarily you but just a general message) don't think we're all silver-spoon, spoon-fed privileged people. Having said that, I am aware of how spoon-fed some people are but I pride myself on never being like that. I always prefer engaging with content and reading outside of my syllabus to actually be interested in what it is i'm doing - something that's a perk being an essay student and, for example, reading other romantic literature if you're studying Wordsworth in English. So seriously guys, enough with the sweeping statements

preach it
Original post by Robertus
Hey everyone!

Classics (4 year course) applicant for Peterhouse here. Any others going for my course/college?! :colondollar:

Not many classicists around but there are a couple. We have several stalking pages, a stalking thread, and a big list on the second post of the thread - just check the first page :smile:
Will Cambridge pay for the plane ticket? ( if you are an EU applicant for the interview)

GOOD. FOR. YOU.
And props for being (or seeming) like you're heads screwed on the right way! I hope you get in - it is deserved. :smile:
Original post by Jasey

Thanks for this, hopefully people will read it! Unfortunately a lot of people generalise and it annoys me too. I was so lucky to have parents that both worked their asses off to get me through school as well as my sister and if it wasn't for them, I doubt i'd be in the position I'm in.

Laugh or cry? That is the question.
Original post by ClickItBack
Haven't looked at your source (sorry, I know it's a bit rude, but it's late) but I believe the discrepancy is accounted for almost totally by course choices.

I.e. state school students are much more likely to go for oversubscribed courses like Medicine, Engineering, Economics, Maths . . . whilst the 'least competitive' (numerically) courses tend to have significantly more independent school applicants e.g. Classics, ASNAC, etc.

And to give an idea of how different the ratios can be, the success rate in Economics is around 12% but the success rate in Classics is 40% iirc.

I believe there was an analysis a while ago which showed that correcting for this discrepancy and for achieved grades, there was no difference in success rates between state and independent students.

OK my tone has been polite so far, but I'd like to finish off by saying that it's extremely incendiary to post statistics and implicitly convey the kind of message you're trying to convey. It's fine to have a discussion on the topic, but if you're going to go out and claim bias in favour of independent students, you should subject your figures to a reasonable level of analytical rigour first, not just put out headline numbers which obscure what's really going on.

Sorry if you are misunderstanding me, I'm very much in favour of state schools improving their success rate. My contention is with the poster who said that Oxbridge are fined if they don't pick state school candidates in preference, and I've been asking anyone to provide proof of this. I'm sure it is not the case.

Although perhaps it should be..
Original post by sammann123
Okay brilliant thanks! I'm assuming a photocopy of the form I got on results day with all my UMS marks will suffice? Did they mention any other documents needed?

Just called. What you got on results day will suffice.
Original post by The_Top_Hat

Laugh or cry? That is the question.

What is it?

Latest

Trending

Trending