The Student Room Group

working out distance.

Hi all

Could someone help me with this question, im trying to join the RAF and got practice tests im trying to find out a quick way to answer these kind of questions as your on a short timer.

If your travelling at 50mph how many miles do you travel in 1hour and 18mintues.

Thank you in advance.
Reply 1
How many 18s are in 60? that tells you the fraction of an hour. So here, 18 is 3/10 of 60, so the number of hours is 1.3. So you need 1.3x50, which is half of 1.3x100, which is 65 (miles).

I'm assuming you're asking how to do this stuff without a calculator? I may be way off-base if not :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by BEERM4N
Hi all

Could someone help me with this question, im trying to join the RAF and got practice tests im trying to find out a quick way to answer these kind of questions as your on a short timer.

If your travelling at 50mph how many miles do you travel in 1hour and 18mintues.

Thank you in advance.

Calculator or non-calculator?

Do you need the general method to use? Or are you looking for ways to make your calculation faster?
Reply 3
Thanks for your help, i will try and use that method with the other questions. yes i can't use a calculator for this

So for this question if your travelling 6mph how many miles you travel in 2hours 50minutes do i have to find out how many 6s go into 60 to find the fraction out?
Reply 4
Original post by notnek
Calculator or non-calculator?

Do you need the general method to use? Or are you looking for ways to make your calculation faster?

Non calculator , just want to know the quickest way to work these kind of questions out as im sitting here thinking the way im doing it is taking along time
Original post by BEERM4N
Thanks for your help, i will try and use that method with the other questions. yes i can't use a calculator for this

So for this question if your travelling 6mph how many miles you travel in 2hours 50minutes do i have to find out how many 6s go into 60 to find the fraction out?

6 miles per hour

12 miles in 2 hours

So the 50 minutes is obviously less than another 6 miles
There are a number of approaches to this and they are different depending on the question
Foe this one you should recognise that

6 miles in 60 mins
would be the same as
5 miles in 50 minutes
Reply 6
Original post by TenOfThem
6 miles per hour

12 miles in 2 hours

So the 50 minutes is obviously less than another 6 miles
There are a number of approaches to this and they are different depending on the question
Foe this one you should recognise that

6 miles in 60 mins
would be the same as
5 miles in 50 minutes

This one i work out very quickly and it was right
Original post by BEERM4N
Hi all

Thank you in advance.

50 miles in 60 minutes
--> 5 miles in 6 minutes
--> 6 goes into 18 three times
--> 3 x 5 miles = 15 miles
--> 50 miles + 15 miles = 65 miles
Reply 8
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
50 miles in 60 minutes
--> 5 miles in 6 minutes
--> 6 goes into 18 three times
--> 3 x 5 miles = 15 miles