The Student Room Group

Mathematic content in Biochemistry?

If you didn't take math at AS/A level and were like a B/A at GCSE how much would you struggle?

Math isn't my strong point but my goal is to study Biochemistry at a top university, such as UCL. I am planning to get a summary of the mathematic content in Biochemistry and working on it during my time in sixth form and in a gap year if I choose to have one.

I feel as if I won't be able to get an A grade at A level maths so I'm not planning on taking it, and just working on what I need for Biochemistry. If this will work or not, well I hope though. I can't be the only person who didn't take mathematics and wants to pursue Biochemistry - if I need too I'll take mathematics, I guess, I just don't feel like I'll get the grade I needed and if I do it'll be a miracle haha.
Reply 1
Original post by Seeyousoon
If you didn't take math at AS/A level and were like a B/A at GCSE how much would you struggle?

Math isn't my strong point but my goal is to study Biochemistry at a top university, such as UCL. I am planning to get a summary of the mathematic content in Biochemistry and working on it during my time in sixth form and in a gap year if I choose to have one.

I feel as if I won't be able to get an A grade at A level maths so I'm not planning on taking it, and just working on what I need for Biochemistry. If this will work or not, well I hope though. I can't be the only person who didn't take mathematics and wants to pursue Biochemistry - if I need too I'll take mathematics, I guess, I just don't feel like I'll get the grade I needed and if I do it'll be a miracle haha.

Go onto the university websites and look the course structure; each university will have slightly different modules

Here's UCL's for Biochemistry https://www.ucl.ac.uk/biosciences/degree-programmes/prospectivestudents/biochemistry_bsc

You could also contact the admissions tutor directly by email and ask how much mathematical content there is - I did this because I wanted to make sure there was enough! (applying for Chemistry)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending