The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

University of Sheffield Biochemistry Student- Ask Me Anything!

Hi Everyone!
My name is Sofia, I am a 3rd year Biochemistry student within the School of Biosciences at the University of Sheffield.

Alongside my studies, I take part in a few different societies and I am on the committee for Women in STEM society. Societies are a great way to meet different people at university and luckily at Sheffield we have over 300 student-led groups and 60 sports clubs that you can get involved in.

I really enjoy living in Sheffield, there is lots to do within the city and plenty of green spaces and parks. For example, the Peak District is only ~20 minutes away. I lived in Froggatt in Endcliffe in my 1st year. I really enjoyed living in Froggatt and it was very close to the facilities in the Edge, so very convenient.

Please feel free to ask me any questions you have about Biochemistry or studying at university as a whole.
Sofia :smile:
Best and worst thing about your course? :holmes:
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Original post by 04MR17
Best and worst thing about your course? :holmes:

Hi 04MR17,
I would say the best thing about my course is how engaging and interesting the content is. It's great to hear about all these really interesting concepts and then apply them in lab sessions. Having not done A level maths, I had to put a bit more work into understanding some of the mathematical concepts during my 1st year. However, I really benefitted from the academic support available to students through the 301 Academic Skills Centre (301 Academic Skills Centre | 301 | The University of Sheffield). There was also additional support offered by many of my lecturers on these topics, and now they are some of my favourite concepts to learn about. Therefore, I wouldn't worry if you haven't done A level maths.
Hope this helped,
Sofia (3rd Year Biochemistry)
Original post by University of Sheffield Students
Hi Everyone!
My name is Sofia, I am a 3rd year Biochemistry student within the School of Biosciences at the University of Sheffield.
Alongside my studies, I take part in a few different societies and I am on the committee for Women in STEM society. Societies are a great way to meet different people at university and luckily at Sheffield we have over 300 student-led groups and 60 sports clubs that you can get involved in.
I really enjoy living in Sheffield, there is lots to do within the city and plenty of green spaces and parks. For example, the Peak District is only ~20 minutes away. I lived in Froggatt in Endcliffe in my 1st year. I really enjoyed living in Froggatt and it was very close to the facilities in the Edge, so very convenient.
Please feel free to ask me any questions you have about Biochemistry or studying at university as a whole.
Sofia :smile:

Hi, I've just booked my accommodation in Froggatt and I was wondering if you know what colour the walls are? Thanks
Original post by forgottenpadloc
Hi, I've just booked my accommodation in Froggatt and I was wondering if you know what colour the walls are? Thanks

Hi forgottenpadloc!
When I was staying in Froggatt in 2021, the walls were grey. Although, this may depend on what block you are staying in. Enjoy your time staying in Froggatt, its great! 🙂
Hope this helped,
Sofia (3rd Year Biochemistry)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending