The Student Room Group

Study a course in Germany in English language...is this too good to be true?

Hello all

I stumbled across the page below kind of by accident

http://www.uni-leipzig.de/~physik/bachelor-physik-ipsp.html

If I am reading it correctly, Its a university in Germany offering a physics degree course taught in English language, for students from outside Germany.

I thought it would probably be a mediocre university if it is offering that, but it seems to be a good university- it is centuries old and it has been home to some very famous scientists.

I dont see anything on the page about fees/costs of studying there.

What are your thoughts on this?

Why would Germany offer something like this to foreigners?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anyone?
Original post by bloomblaze
Anyone?

Give people time brah.

But yeah loads of EU countries do Uni courses in English.
Reply 3
anyone?
Reply 4
It says on the page that there are no tuition fees, just like all public universities here in Germany.
" offered for all undergraduate and graduate students free of tuition fees"
I'm not sure why they offer it in English, maybe they don't have enough people or possibly because they have a lot of professors there that don't speak very good German. This is rather common here, lots of foreign professors teach at German universities. Although the course may be in German, these lecturers will teach in English. This works because practically all students here seem to speak it. I think you should go for it, this country and it's universities are a great opportunity. Nobody should ever have to pay 9K. Hope this helps
Reply 5
Original post by Trip506
It says on the page that there are no tuition fees, just like all public universities here in Germany.
" offered for all undergraduate and graduate students free of tuition fees"
I'm not sure why they offer it in English, maybe they don't have enough people or possibly because they have a lot of professors there that don't speak very good German. This is rather common here, lots of foreign professors teach at German universities. Although the course may be in German, these lecturers will teach in English. This works because practically all students here seem to speak it. I think you should go for it, this country and it's universities are a great opportunity. Nobody should ever have to pay 9K. Hope this helps

are you from Germany?

I dont know how someone from the UK would fund their living costs ie would they get a loan for that if they study abroad
Reply 6
are you from Germany?

I dont know how someone from the UK would fund their living costs ie would they get a loan for that if they study abroad

I'm from UK, but I live in Germany. Your parents will have to pay for your living costs or you will have to get a part time job etc. Living costs here however are generally a lot cheaper for a student than in the UK. Halls cost usually between 180-250 euros a month. I think you are able to take out a loan called Bafög from the German government. Im told that these loans actually have very generous payback terms, unlike evil SF in UK. I'm not a student here yet, planning on starting here in the summer semester.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Trip506
I'm from UK, but I live in Germany. Your parents will have to pay for your living costs or you will have to get a part time job etc. Living costs here however are generally a lot cheaper for a student than in the UK. Halls cost usually between 180-250 euros a month. I think you are able to take out a loan called Bafög from the German government. Im told that these loans actually have very generous payback terms, unlike evil SF in UK. I'm not a student here yet, planning on starting here in the summer semester.

How did you end up in Germany?

Where in Germany are you and what do u think of the country?
Hello all

I stumbled across the page below kind of by accident

http://www.uni-leipzig.de/~physik/bachelor-physik-ipsp.html

If I am reading it correctly, Its a university in Germany offering a physics degree course taught in English language, for students from outside Germany.

I thought it would probably be a mediocre university if it is offering that, but it seems to be a good university- it is centuries old and it has been home to some very famous scientists.

I dont see anything on the page about fees/costs of studying there.

What are your thoughts on this?

Why would Germany offer something like this to foreigners?

Yep, it's true. There are hundreds of courses like that, and more at postgrad level, either free or at tiny fee levels compared to the UK. Living costs is often all you have to cover (in Germany or Scandinavia) or else you pay a fraction of the UK fees (c. £1500 per year in Holland, c. £2000 per year in Ireland) plus living costs. Most of these courses are in highly-ranked unis, usually on par with Russell Group or just below and it's a real option to experience something different and provide your CV with a stand-out addition.
Reply 9
Maybe they want to attract international students?

I could never learn anything in German, let alone something so complicated like Physics. I think, just because the course is taught in english, they won't let you get away with speaking no german. You will most likely have to take some kind of German foreign language class as well, plus it will help with everyday life. Not everyone in Germany speaks english, especially the older generation, and in particular most signs will be in German.
There are lots of universities in EU which seem 'too good to be true' in that way. I grew up in Holland and was very tempted to study a degree there because it was a lot cheaper. It could be an amazing experience doing a degree abroad and the fees are obviously good, but you have to take it with a pinch of salt as well. If you don't speak German (or insert any other European country/language in) then you may find yourself with quite a restricted group of friends from your university/being able to experience societies and things less because they aren't Anglophone. It is a very different experience, and I think it would be interesting, but from friends who've done it, it isn't quite the same as the British university experience.
Reply 11
Original post by bownessie
There are lots of universities in EU which seem 'too good to be true' in that way. I grew up in Holland and was very tempted to study a degree there because it was a lot cheaper. It could be an amazing experience doing a degree abroad and the fees are obviously good, but you have to take it with a pinch of salt as well. If you don't speak German (or insert any other European country/language in) then you may find yourself with quite a restricted group of friends from your university/being able to experience societies and things less because they aren't Anglophone. It is a very different experience, and I think it would be interesting, but from friends who've done it, it isn't quite the same as the British university experience.

How would it affect your knowledge of Physics, if you did a Physics degree in german compared to doing a Physics degree in english?

Would you only know technical physics terms in German only?

I did Gcse German and liked it, I dont know but I think I could master tge language if I had the practice
I wonder would UK employers recognize/accept degrees from foreign universities
Reply 14
I wonder would UK employers recognize/accept degrees from foreign universities

They would, as the concepts are the same, the problem lies in the medium of instruction. You wouldn't be able to communicate your ideas, until you translated every single technical term you learnt in german.
Please note: German unis have a higher drop out rate than UK unis. Entry requirement tend to be less strict, BUT after 1st and 2nd year, students have to sit tough exams. I heard at one uni that 35% of STEM students don't finish their course.

German unis offer English courses without tuition fee in order to internationalise, attract strong students, clim rankings and most research is published in English. Leipzig is a traditional uni with strong subjects and living costs are lower in this part of Germany (Saxony).

As a Brit, you won't get automatically German student finance unless you have lived a few yrs in Germany.
Original post by Hariboll
How would it affect your knowledge of Physics, if you did a Physics degree in german compared to doing a Physics degree in english?

Would you only know technical physics terms in German only?

I don't know that, I know little to nothing about physics and this thread isn't about doing a degree in German, it is about doing a degree in Germany in English.
I did Gcse German and liked it, I dont know but I think I could master tge language if I had the practice

Well being able to talk some and a willingness to learn more is really useful then! If you could come out of your degree and could speak a decent amount of German as well, it would just be an added skill.
Well being able to talk some and a willingness to learn more is really useful then! If you could come out of your degree and could speak a decent amount of German as well, it would just be an added skill.

over the past few years I have wondered whether or not it would be worth me learning German to high fluency.

I suspect it might not be; from what I gather, many/most people in the German speaking countries speak English (I could be wrong on that)
Original post by Trip506

does everyone in Germany speak English?

would it be worth learning German to fluency?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending