The Student Room Group

Help for uni

ok so like im studying in american curriculum and im in grade 11 (year 12) and we have AP/IB exams (Alevels) i want to know if I can get admitted into any university in Europe (spain,germany,italy,belgium etc) or Britain. And if I can then what tests are required? any suggestions are welcomed!!
Original post by Anonymous
ok so like im studying in american curriculum and im in grade 11 (year 12) and we have AP/IB exams (Alevels) i want to know if I can get admitted into any university in Europe (spain,germany,italy,belgium etc) or Britain. And if I can then what tests are required? any suggestions are welcomed!!

you may have to do a language test, some courses require a maths test/ submit written work but check on the uni website/ email admissions team
Reply 2
you may have to do a language test, some courses require a maths test/ submit written work but check on the uni website/ email admissions team

so like they'll accept standard American curriculum?
so like they'll accept standard American curriculum?

You'll have to check with each uni for specific entry requirements but yes

Yes you should be able to, although you normally need to take sufficient numbers of AP classes (for the UK usually 3 although I think a couple ask for 4 or 5) and may or may not be expected to do the SAT or ACT.

Whether any further admissions tests are required will be very variable and you'll just need to check the requirements of the individual courses/unis you are looking at. In the UK generally admissions tests are uncommon outside of Oxford and Cambridge, a good number of law courses (but not all) which require the LNAT, and medicine/dentistry (possibly vet med too but I really know very little about it!) which usually requires the UCAT or BMAT. There are of course exceptions (Imperial has a few courses requiring admissions tests, Warwick maths requires STEP or MAT, a couple others here and there) but they clearly communicate this in the entry requirements and how to apply sections.

International students often have to also take TOEFL or IELTS but if you completed your education in the US then it's likely you won't need to as the primary language of your school was, presumably, English.

Something worth noting - the UK is not like the US where you just apply to individual colleges "in general" and select your major after matriculating usually. In the UK you normally are applying to a specific subject/degree programme. You also can only apply to a maximum of 5 courses, all receive the same personal statement (so in practice you have to apply to the same subject at all places, or something sufficiently similar), can only apply to one of Oxford or Cambridge, and only a maximum of 4 courses you apply to can be med/dent/vet med.

You apply in the UK via UCAS and the UCAS website has a lot of information about how the application process works. You can then find individual programme details, entry requirements, and if any specific admissions tests are required by looking on the individual universities' webpages.

The above is for applying in the UK; TheStudentRoom is primarily a UK centric forum so there may be less information available on applying in Europe. Requirements for applying to European universities are likely to vary but it's quite likely you'll need to have a good level of ability in the language of that country (even if the degree programme itself is in English) to be admitted, evidenced by an official language test (e.g. German universities usually require the equivalent of B1/B2 German if doing a degree taught in English, evidenced by DSH, or at C1 level if the programme is taught partly or wholly in German).

In general though it's not uncommon for US students to apply to degrees in the UK and Europe and most universities are familiar with the US system and will publish their specific requirements for that system on their webpages.
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by Anonymous #1
Yes you can just make sure you are able to meet the language requirements and ask the admissions departments if you are unsure if you meet the requirements.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending