The Student Room Group

A levels

Hi,
I want to study law at Oxford and am starting Sixth Form this September. I chose History, Law and Psychology. But I'm not sure that these would be good enough or fit with the subject requirements.
+ I do Textiles as a fun subject that I also enjoyed a lot during GCSEs.

What do you think? Are these good or should I change some of them?
Reply 1
Hi! Not sure if I'll be any help as I'm applying to medicine but my English literature teacher was a student at Oxford for Law so I'll try my best. According to Oxford they need "A relevant modern language for Law with Law Studies in Europe (not required for European Law)" so unless you're taking European law - they don't require anything. If you are taking European law they require a foreign language (spanish, French etc.). I know first hand however that English literature is usually a common choice for people applying to law. So you have 4 a-levels - History, Law, Psychology and textiles? which I suppose is fine but personally I would recommend either English language or definitely a foreign language if you're applying to European law. Hope this helps. Besides the subject requirements make sure you've got the grades, Personal Statement, the required admission test (LNAT) and make sure to prepare for the interviews. Besides that good luck, not that you'll need it :smile:
Original post by wafiya1740
Hi! Not sure if I'll be any help as I'm applying to medicine but my English literature teacher was a student at Oxford for Law so I'll try my best. According to Oxford they need "A relevant modern language for Law with Law Studies in Europe (not required for European Law)" so unless you're taking European law - they don't require anything. If you are taking European law they require a foreign language (spanish, French etc.). I know first hand however that English literature is usually a common choice for people applying to law. So you have 4 a-levels - History, Law, Psychology and textiles? which I suppose is fine but personally I would recommend either English language or definitely a foreign language if you're applying to European law. Hope this helps. Besides the subject requirements make sure you've got the grades, Personal Statement, the required admission test (LNAT) and make sure to prepare for the interviews. Besides that good luck, not that you'll need it :smile:

Okay, thank you so much. I can't do any languages as I didn't do any for GCSEs and my option blocks doesn't allow me to do English unfortunately, I would have to give up either History or Law :frown: but I will think about it. Thanks :smile:
Reply 3
Glad I could help :smile:
Original post by acolourfulhuman
Okay, thank you so much. I can't do any languages as I didn't do any for GCSEs and my option blocks doesn't allow me to do English unfortunately, I would have to give up either History or Law :frown: but I will think about it. Thanks :smile:
Hi,
I want to study law at Oxford and am starting Sixth Form this September. I chose History, Law and Psychology. But I'm not sure that these would be good enough or fit with the subject requirements.

Law has no subject requirements beyond expecting you take at least two traditionally academic subjects usually - you are taking three such subjects. Your subjects are fine.
Reply 5
Hi,

Are these subjects you enjoy and do well in?
Original post by Muttley79
Are these subjects you enjoy and do well in?

I did History and Textiles GCSE and I did very well, but I didn't do Psychology so I don't really know but it seems interesting.
Reply 7
I did History and Textiles GCSE and I did very well, but I didn't do Psychology so I don't really know but it seems interesting.

The main thing is to get high A level grades - lots of essays there in your selection!
Original post by Muttley79
The main thing is to get high A level grades - lots of essays there in your selection!

Yeah, true. I just hope that it'll be easier to revise/practice since they are similar and go well together. Good luck for me:crossedf:
i went to the website for the Oxford BA in Law with Law Studies in Europe. it says "To study in France, Germany, Italy or Spain candidates are expected to have a Grade A in A-Level (or equivalent - see above) in the relevant modern language. (Native speakers of the relevant language will be exempted from this requirement.)"

website: https://www.law.ox.ac.uk/content/course/ba-law-law-studies-europe
Original post by beautifulworld
i went to the website for the Oxford BA in Law with Law Studies in Europe. it says "To study in France, Germany, Italy or Spain candidates are expected to have a Grade A in A-Level (or equivalent - see above) in the relevant modern language. (Native speakers of the relevant language will be exempted from this requirement.)"

website: https://www.law.ox.ac.uk/content/course/ba-law-law-studies-europe

Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending