The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ethereal
I thought I'd posted, but apparently my phone didn't let me. I have news.

Basically, they were actually offering 3 posts. I came 3rd so I got the promotion :woo:

But, then their finance people pulled funding for one of the posts so there were only 2. So, I didn't get the promotion :sad:

If they get more funding in April they will offer me the job.

So close! Well done for getting so far and fingers crossed for a better outcome next time.
For those not on my Facebook: got the Brilliant Club gig! :ahee: (Subject to me passing occupational health :eek: )

Also, I may have just been invited to an ABBA fan Christmas get-together in London!!! Yay for progress! :awesome: :yeah: :smug:

Basically, they were actually offering 3 posts. I came 3rd so I got the promotion :woo:

But, then their finance people pulled funding for one of the posts so there were only 2. So, I didn't get the promotion :sad:

Argh, that sounds SOOOO frustrating. Commiserations, though glad they saw that you were a good enough candidate to take on if they had the full funding. Here's hoping for April :hugs:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
For those not on my Facebook: got the Brilliant Club gig! :ahee: (Subject to me passing occupational health :eek: )

Also, I may have just been invited to an ABBA fan Christmas get-together in London!!! Yay for progress! :awesome: :yeah: :smug:

I'm not sure which you are more excited about! - but a mixture of ABBA and Christmas would do it for me (yes, I am old enough to remember ABBA in their heyday :eek:)

And congratulations on the Brilliant Club :biggrin:
Congrats TLG :woo:
Original post by llacerta
Haha yes, we do get along and try to get together regularly which I feel very thankful for. They're lovely people.

I'm doing a PhD in Psychology (but more the neuroscience end of the spectrum methods-wise). What area are you working in? :smile:

That's lovely :smile: It's nice when you live with people who understand too (I say that assuming that they are studying too?... or that they at least 'get' what it's like)

Your PhD must be fascinating (and complex!)

I do a few things, but my main job is at a training provider and I'm also a social worker (please don't hate me for it! :tongue:)

Original post by Kitty Pimms
That sounds like a good call. I have the same problem but I remind myself that the worst of both worlds is to be trying to work but achieving nothing, in those cases it's better to just take a break. Maybe set aside a weekend to do no work at all to try to reset your brain? Then I find building up slowly when you start again helps, as once you get back into it you'll find it much easier to work. The first few days are always the hardest.

True.

I think just some sleep would be a start, but I'm considering a trip home to London so I don't fall into the "I'll just do...." trap.

Welcome to the newbie, btw :biggrin:

:wavey:

Hope April brings good news, or that you find something even better in the meantime.
x

Well that's yay for the first part and then a massive booo for the second. :frown: Where does that leave you now?

Woop :biggrin: :biggrin: How was the interview process? PM if easier :wink:

Original post by Múinteoir
x

Welcome :biggrin:, sorry I mean :mad:
Original post by apotoftea
Welcome :biggrin:, sorry I mean :mad:

:hide::hi::hide:

:hugs: That really sucks- but well done on getting into the top three in the first place. At least there'll be something there for you in April (or something else even better in the meanwhile, fingers crossed!)

Squeee! Good stuff, TLG. :biggrin:

Original post by Múinteoir
That's lovely :smile: It's nice when you live with people who understand too (I say that assuming that they are studying too?... or that they at least 'get' what it's like)

Your PhD must be fascinating (and complex!)

I do a few things, but my main job is at a training provider and I'm also a social worker (please don't hate me for it! :tongue:)

Yes, we're all fresher postgrads (I live in college accommodation in Oxford so there's a good 25 of us haha- going to be the biggest Christmas dinner ever methinks!)

It's very interesting but often very removed from reality- which, to be honest, is how I like it! But there are times when I finish reading a low-level neuro paper and think to myself, "how did I get into this?" Haha. Sounds like your work is more based in reality. :biggrin: And no hating of social workers here; in fact, massive respect since it's something I'd find difficult to do!
Thanks, everyone! I'm dead excited about both, as you can imagine. Though it's just dawning on me how much work the Brilliant Club will be :eek:

apotoftea, will PM you later today - poke me to remind me if you don't get one by this evening! :biggrin:
Thanks, everyone! I'm dead excited about both, as you can imagine. Though it's just dawning on me how much work the Brilliant Club will be :eek:

Well done :biggrin:
Thank you to all the Gogs who have lived the interview saga with me!
Do you guys have any technical advice to offer me?

I'm involved on a game with a lot of people on a different website. At the moment there is no leader board provided by the website, so people have created facebook groups, and documents in those groups where members update their points each day into a rank. The issue is that there are loads of different groups, so people don't really know how they compare to everyone using the website because not everybody is using the same list. I'd like to start a public list that everybody can edit and add to, in order to try and get everyone to use the same list. And this wouldn't be based in facebook. So the only thing I can think of is a public google document that anybody can edit. But the problem there is that it would be very vulnerable to vandalism. Does anybody know of some kind of clever solution to this that doesn't require me verifying peoples' identity. Most of the people in this game are secretive about their identity so would not be too keen on giving me their email addresses (so I couldn't just add them to the google document that way). And there are potentially hundreds that may want to use the list if it spreads :s-smilie:
Reply 352
Well done, TLG!

Sorry to hear the bad news, Ethy :frown:
Original post by llacerta
Yes, we're all fresher postgrads (I live in college accommodation in Oxford so there's a good 25 of us haha- going to be the biggest Christmas dinner ever methinks!)

It's very interesting but often very removed from reality- which, to be honest, is how I like it! But there are times when I finish reading a low-level neuro paper and think to myself, "how did I get into this?" Haha. Sounds like your work is more based in reality. :biggrin: And no hating of social workers here; in fact, massive respect since it's something I'd find difficult to do!

That sounds like fun - and they always say, the more the merrier :smile:

Hehe I think we all stop every now and then and wonder what we've let ourselves in for.

Today was the last day of there being 10 of us at work. From Monday it's down to 2...plus the boss (redundancies). :frown:
Trying to draft an email to my second fave academic EVER about a conference paper he gave in Oxford the other day. (He was talking about nostalgia/memory in music and even played an ABBA song :ahee: ) Not sure I'm getting this whole casual email to my musicological god thing right :erm:

#TLGProblems :tongue:
:cry:

Why are the essays always so terrible?
Original post by Craghyrax

Oh dear, not again :mad: How many have you got to get through this time?
Original post by Jantaculum
Oh dear, not again :mad: How many have you got to get through this time?

Spoiler

Ugh... teaching is so nice, and then when the work comes in its like going down one of those rope slides. You find out exactly how much everything you did for the last semester just dissipated into the classroom air con unit :dry:
:hmpf:
(edited 9 years ago)
They're called foefie slides in South Africa but I have no idea what you call them here :lol:
Second fave academic EVER sent a (literally) one sentence reply :emo: I guess he must get inundated with emails though, so trying not to let it crush me :o:

Original post by Craghyrax

:console:

Latest

Trending

Trending