The Student Room Group

Great British Bake Off 2023 discussion thread

As I've begun German Bake Off tonight, it's time for everyone else to also get hyped for GBBO 2023! :party:

Apparently this is due to return to Channel 4 on Tuesday 26th September! :woo:

The big change this year is that Matt Lucas has left the tent, and will be replaced by Alison Hammond! :h:

Please remember when discussing episodes to use spoiler tags, let's say for a week after broadcast, when giving spoilers!
(edited 7 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Saracen's Fez
As I've begun German Bake Off tonight, it's time for everyone else to also get hyped for GBBO 2023! :party:

Apparently this is due to return to Channel 4 on Tuesday 26th September! :woo:

The big change this year is that Matt Lucas has left the tent, and will be replaced by Alison Hammond! :h:

Miss the show on BBC needs Mary, Mel and Sue Back
(edited 7 months ago)
Hi! Bake off starting tomorrow !! Is anyone planning on watching it and if you are, are you rooting for anyone in particular?
:smile:
Ohh i didnt realise my parents love it i must tell them.Ill probs watch it on and off with them.WHat about you! Thanks for the reminder lol
Reply 4
I'm planning
It's today!!! :woo:
yaaaaaasssssss bake off :love:

I think I'll be watching on catch-up tomorrow, because I'm trying out a taster session for a uni society this evening! :yeah:

Spoiler

Quoting everyone who posted in last year's with a five-minute warning for cake week!

Please remember to use spoiler tags where appropriate!
I'm going to love Alison Hammond I think!
Technical is baking the chocolate cake from the opening titles.

(They did this on German Bake off a couple of years back!)
Smut klaxon!
Original post by Saracen's Fez
I'm going to love Alison Hammond I think!

Prefer her to matt lucas and sandy already.

Bit surprised about who got eliminated but makes sense after their showstopper.

Next week is biscuits
Reply 12
Alison isn’t for me but never has been, so never expected anything different.

Amos going felt a bit odd after coming second on the technical, when the two women were at the bottom for every task.

Showstopper dominates decisions far too much.
Nobody beats Mel and Sue
Original post by Mess.

Showstopper dominates decisions far too much.

I agree. But kinda makes sense as its the more labour intensive one (usually).
In the professionals version of bake off, the show stoppers definitely are way more labour intensive, which justifies it.
For standard gbbo, Id say it depends on the complexity as sometimes it is way more complex than signature and technical, whereas others it isnt
The alternative is what they do in Germany which is weight the three exercises equally and each judge awards points out of 10 for each bake. That feels like swinging the pendulum too far in the opposite direction!
Would everyone agree that Dana had the worst of 3 challenges then Amos. His chocolate orange cake wasn’t all that in the Signature though placing 2nd in the technical yet he went out when Dana came to the showstopper knowing she was in trouble yet her cake was over baked.
Also any early predictions to who will win it this year
Reply 18
Original post by Mohammed_80
Also any early predictions to who will win it this year

Dan, wedding cake boy or forager.
Can see forager going far but the ‘bit’ becoming a bit tired and a stretch to try and make the ingredients diverse over time.
Reply 19
Enjoyed the episode.

Quick Reply

Latest