The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SmashConcept
In terms of making a difference, even if you don't feel you're accomplishing a lot on a systemic level, you should know that that the people who have helped me as an individual change the way I think have no idea that they are responsible for that and might not even know who I am. There is quite a high chance you are that person for some stranger, and that must be a good thing. In fact affecting random individuals you don't know about might make more of a difference to more lives than trying to make systemic changes, not that the latter is a bad thing or anything :yy:

That's a pretty good mindset!

Original post by Piggsil
I didn't mean it as a criticism. In fact I just wanted to show off what awesome students I have :p:
I do totally get what you mean about TSR. I think issues are magnified online because it's often an arena where people are at their most self-absorbed.

I know. :h: And I'm glad you have amazing students!

Original post by Aula
Don't forget that places like TSR are also somewhere people can be totally anonymous if they wish, and therefore don't necessarily filter as much as they might otherwise do. And of course the obligatory trolling...

Bah, my brain does not want to work and it would be really useful if it would start again :puppyeyes:

Also, I have a super exciting interview next Wednesday :teeth:
(It's only a March - October job, but I'm pretty sure it would be quite a lot of fun)

Yeah the trolling is something I'm struggling to come to terms with which is probably a weird thing for me to say on here given my attitude to life years ago when I was posting fifty times a day in every single part of the forum. My filter will probably come back.

What's the job? Good luck!
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I suffer from schizoaffective disorder (which is like a cross between schizophrenia and bipolar disorder) and am in a bad depressive episode atm :sadnod:

We're spending Christmas in Portsmouth coz my sister has to work over the festive period (though thankfully not on Christmas Day itself this year (unlike last year!)) :yep: I have written all my cards and posted most of them, bought most of my Christmas presents, updated my iTunes Christmas playlist, and have bought Frozen Christmas wrapping paper. I'm trying to lift myself out of the depression by being festive even though I'm not in the mood :o:

:hugs: Hope you feel better soon - I know it can be a rough ride - be kind to yourself.

That sounds nice. You're super organised!
Original post by apotoftea
:yep: I'm beginning to notice a lot of so called 'feminist' attacks on everything and anything without any form or argument or supportive facts, just because they feel it's their 'right' to attack and demand change. They're happy enough to attack others, namely the male population about whatever, but yet don't ever appear to look at their own attacks, which are as effectively just as bad. They're not as bad by any stretch of the imagination. Men continue to be considerably more powerful, and sexism is still rife. The issue is rather that you see a lot of emotional, ill thought out rants that often rely on hyperbole, ad hominems and other rhetorical devices rather than solid argumentation. There are also too many examples of some going a bit overboard and beginning to see gender related problems in everything and also for a sense of proportion to go out of the window. Some of the issues raised are perfectly true, but it isn't always particularly productive to pounce on people and bite their heads off every five minutes. Which is why I try to stay out of it. Because I don't want to get into that kind of fight without doing it properly, and I know that if I did it would probably tend towards the ranty/head bitey style quite often.

I can't agree that the invective I've seen from feminists is as bad as sexism from men. Sure, its not nice for anybody to get angrily yelled at for - say - an offhand joke that they hadn't thought through properly. But that really isn't on the same scale as the standard daily experience of being addressed in purely sexualised terms and being treated like a sex vending machine, by many men, which really is no exaggeration.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Jangrafess

Yeah the trolling is something I'm struggling to come to terms with which is probably a weird thing for me to say on here given my attitude to life years ago when I was posting fifty times a day in every single part of the forum. My filter will probably come back.

What do you mean?
Original post by Craghyrax
They're not as bad by any stretch of the imagination. Men continue to be considerably more powerful, and sexism is still rife. The issue is rather that you see a lot of emotional, ill thought out rants that often rely on hyperbole, ad hominems and other rhetorical devices rather than solid argumentation. There are also too many examples of some going a bit overboard and beginning to see gender related problems in everything and also for a sense of proportion to go out of the window. Some of the issues raised are perfectly true, but it isn't always particularly productive to pounce on people and bite their heads off every five minutes. Which is why I try to stay out of it. Because I don't want to get into that kind of fight without doing it properly, and I know that if I did it would probably tend towards the ranty/head bitey style quite often.

I can't agree that the invective I've seen from feminists is as bad as sexism from men. Sure, its not nice for anybody to get angrily yelled at for - say - an offhand joke that they hadn't thought through properly. But that really isn't on the same scale as the standard daily experience of being addressed in purely sexualised terms and being treated like a sex vending machine, by many men, which really is no exaggeration.

I totally completely agree with this, Craggy.

What do you mean?

Just that I used to troll a lot on here. I like to think I never trolled in a bigoted way but I was definitely an internet troll, never really taking things seriously. By 'my filter will come back' I mean I'll be able to filter out what is other people trolling and what is other people sharing beliefs they actually hold.
Applications are starting to gain momentum :h:

Just that I used to troll a lot on here. I like to think I never trolled in a bigoted way but I was definitely an internet troll, never really taking things seriously. By 'my filter will come back' I mean I'll be able to filter out what is other people trolling and what is other people sharing beliefs they actually hold.

Right now you muddle them? Some of the beliefs that regular people hold make it really hard not to think they're a troll :dry:

And yeh I think we get on better in your older age :p: Not that I ever came across you doing it, but it would have annoyed the hell out of me.

And PRSOM plus thanks!
(edited 9 years ago)
Right now you muddle them? Some of the beliefs that regular people hold make it really hard not to think they're a troll :dry:

And yeh I think we get on better in your older age :p: Not that I ever came across you doing it, but it would have annoyed the hell out of me.

Absolutely. Assuming they're trolling is almost giving them the benefit of the doubt. You definitely came across me trolling, I think you probably just took me literally :colondollar: Sorry!

edit: what on earth does this PRSOM thing I keep seeing mean??
Original post by *Interrobang*
Back in my neck of the woods :smile:

Indeed :biggrin: Should be great fun :biggrin:

Original post by Múinteoir
:hugs: Hope you feel better soon - I know it can be a rough ride - be kind to yourself.

That sounds nice. You're super organised!

Original post by Slowbro93
Applications are starting to gain momentum :h:

Yay! :biggrin:
Absolutely. Assuming they're trolling is almost giving them the benefit of the doubt. You definitely came across me trolling, I think you probably just took me literally :colondollar: Sorry!
I came across you being silly quite a lot, but I don't remember ever being wound up by it :hmmmm: Trolling directed elsewhere?
If it was aimed at me, then men/boys have been trying to destablise my freakish seriousness for my entire life. So I'm pretty immune to that. Meaning, yes I take people seriously, but it when it turns out that they were joking I just carry on with it, completely ignoring the humour they get out of it, and insisting on having the serious conversation they never wanted to have. Like a steam roller :biggrin: I think 'lighten up' is my least favourite sentence in the world.
Jangrafess

edit: what on earth does this PRSOM thing I keep seeing mean??

:rofl: You've been gone awhile. "Please Rate Some Other Member". And it was coined in Cambridge Chat :closedeyes:
(edited 9 years ago)
I came across you being silly quite a lot, but I don't remember ever being wound up by it :hmmmm: Trolling directed elsewhere?
If it was aimed at me, then men/boys have been trying to destablise my freakish seriousness for my entire life. So I'm pretty immune to that. Meaning, yes I take people seriously, but it when it turns out that they were joking I just carry on with it, completely ignoring the humour they get out of it, and insisting on having the serious conversation they never wanted to have. Like a steam roller :biggrin: I think 'lighten up' is my least favourite sentence in the world.

:rofl: You've been gone awhile. "Please Rate Some Other Member". And it was coined in Cambridge Chat :closedeyes:

Fair enough. I don't think I'd ever have intended to destabilise you intentionally, it would have been more making silly suggestions in About TSR and then discussing them as if I was serious. Anyway it's in the past. 'Smile, it might never happen' is my least favourite. Piss off, it's happening all the time.

I understand PRSOM now. I use the rating system so infrequently now that that acronym would never have come to mind itself!
Fair enough. I don't think I'd ever have intended to destabilise you intentionally, it would have been more making silly suggestions in About TSR and then discussing them as if I was serious. Anyway it's in the past. 'Smile, it might never happen' is my least favourite. Piss off, it's happening all the time.

That one's pretty bad too :yy: Got to catch a train. Teaching day. Speak later :biggrin:
Welcome back :smile: How's it going?

Thanks! Not too bad, getting stuck into my PhD and hoping to write a paper soonish! How is it going for you? You must be nearly finished!
Original post by Crisps
All I've heard at work today: "eeee, isn't it cold?" Yes, love, it's December, it's supposed t be cold.....

The general public :mad:

best way to kill that **** dead is to simply say "no" no matter how cold it actually is.
Original post by *Interrobang*
Back in my neck of the woods :smile:

Are you a South Coaster too? :colone: :biggrin:

Original post by Crisps
All I've heard at work today: "eeee, isn't it cold?" Yes, love, it's December, it's supposed t be cold.....

The general public :mad:

I do not miss dealing with the general public one bit! Having popped into my old work the other day and catching up with people I know, if I need an interim part time job to tide me over next year, it will not be retail. Ever.
(edited 9 years ago)
I think I avoided trolling for a good couple of days before I saw a thread on fashion and beauty that was just crying out for my opinions.
Original post by apotoftea
I do not miss dealing with the general public one bit! Having popped into my old work the other day and catching up with people I know, if I need an interim part time job to tide me over next year, it will not be retail. Ever.

Working with the general public (although not in a retail enviornment) has made me lose all faith in humanity.

Whoever coined "never work with children or animals" got it very wrong. Adults are the worst.
Reply 597
I think some of the whole dislike of working with the public can come from where you work and the setting.

As a general rule I actually quite like working with the public, but then I live in a very middle class area, and work in a museum and a Paperchase, neither of which are renowned for their rude customers :mmm:
School was great today. I started in my second school, which is nondenominational and a lot larger and it was really enjoyable. The best questions from the kids were "Why is your nose so pointy?" (Not sure, I'll ask my mum) and "Are you a brachiosaurus?" (??? Turned out to be because I'm tall and have a long neck. Obvious really).
Reply 599
School was great today. I started in my second school, which is nondenominational and a lot larger and it was really enjoyable. The best questions from the kids were "Why is your nose so pointy?" (Not sure, I'll ask my mum) and "Are you a brachiosaurus?" (??? Turned out to be because I'm tall and have a long neck. Obvious really).

I don't recall your nose being especially pointy! Kids are weird :p:

The brachiosaurus question is pure gold though!

Latest

Trending

Trending