The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ethereal
:king1:

I concur. My best friend lives there and I just love the place!
Original post by Anatheme
I concur. My best friend lives there and I just love the place!

There is not a day goes by that I don't miss it.
:king1:

Lol. Yorkshire: The only place where calling someone **** is a term of endearment :laugh:

...Although I'd never heard someone use that until I moved to Barnsley, so maybe it's unique to there.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Múinteoir
Lol. Yorkshire: The only place where calling someone c*ck is a term of endearment :laugh:

...Although I'd never heard someone use that until I moved to Barnsley, so maybe it's unique to there.

It's, in part, down to tone and delivery. Like "sitha" - can mean anything from "hello" to "how are you?" to "pay attention to me" to "bye" to "**** you dickhead"
Lol. Yorkshire: The only place where calling someone c*ck is a term of endearment :laugh:

No, it isn't. It's the same in Sheffield as well, where men call other men 'duck' without getting punched in the face.
Reply 985
The longer I spend in London, the more I hate the place… I was hoping the feeling would go away, but I don't think it ever will. Meh.

Same with Paris.

Also KCL wants to rebrand themselves as King's London. Wtf, why waste £300k on advertisement when you could use that money to make the university less **** than it is…

/megagrump

Or offer more studentships.:frown:
It's, in part, down to tone and delivery. Like "sitha" - can mean anything from "hello" to "how are you?" to "pay attention to me" to "bye" to "**** you dickhead"

Lol. We have frequent conversations at work about Yorkshire phrases and what things are called. Is it a bread roll, a breadcake, a bap? I'd never heard of a ginnel (sp?), and I was completely confused when someone asked me if I was 'mashing'. When I looked puzzled he asked again, and when I still looked blankly, he asked if I was making a cup of tea. Then there's 'lunch' which you call 'dinner' and 'dinner' which you call 'tea'.

I was given a book of 'Yorkshire wit and humour'... I don't get most of them.

Hopeless case.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
No, it isn't. It's the same in Sheffield as well, where men call other men 'duck' without getting punched in the face.

Where I grew up "love" and "flower" can be used for either gender without fear of violence.
Where I grew up "love" and "flower" can be used for either gender without fear of violence.

Ha and in London you'd last about 10 seconds...

It's a wonderful county. Sounds like you and I are from the same neck of the woods.
Ha and in London you'd last about 10 seconds...

Not sure about that. We're also quite violent.
Lol. We have frequent conversations at work about Yorkshire phrases and what things are called. Is it a bread roll, a breadcake, a bap? I'd never heard of a ginnel (sp?), and I was completely confused when someone asked me if I was 'mashing'. When I looked puzzled he asked again, and when I still looked blankly, he asked if I was making a cup of tea. Then there's 'lunch' which you call 'dinner' and 'dinner' which you call 'tea'.

Hopeless case.

And then there are snickets, which are different to ginnels. And becks which are different to streams and rivers.

To be fair the county is so diverse that when I went to uni in Hull I had to train myself not to speak in dialect (helpful for later life as it turned out) because the Hull locals didn't understand me. First bus I got on I asked the driver "esta bahn a Cottingham?" and he went "eh?" so I said "dusta bahn a Cottingham?" so then he went "what?" so then I sighed and said "weersta bahn e bus?!" and he went "I'm not deaf son, I just don't know what the **** you're asking me". Taught me quickly what the clue is in Dales dialect - if you're not in the Dales don't speak it!
Not sure about that. We're also quite violent.

It's probably more that a Londoner would punch you if you called them that (these people have no manners! :p:), not that they'd do better than a Yorkshire countryman in a fight :p:.
And then there are snickets, which are different to ginnels. And becks which are different to streams and rivers.

To be fair the county is so diverse that when I went to uni in Hull I had to train myself not to speak in dialect (helpful for later life as it turned out) because the Hull locals didn't understand me. First bus I got on I asked the driver "esta bahn a Cottingham?" and he went "eh?" so I said "dusta bahn a Cottingham?" so then he went "what?" so then I sighed and said "weersta bahn e bus?!" and he went "I'm not deaf son, I just don't know what the **** you're asking me". Taught me quickly what the clue is in Dales dialect - if you're not in the Dales don't speak it!

Someone told me that before about moving from one part of Yorkshire to another. I think it was a similar situation in that they'd moved from somewhere quite rural to a more urban area.

Box Hill was a rural as it got for me in London.

I'm in Barnsley now, but I was in Halifax for a few months before living in Huddersfield, where I lived from 2ish years. I was less aware of the differences in dialect there. Even Barnsley and Rotherham have variations it seems - although I can't think of an example now.

Hopeless case.

It's a breadcake. When I crossed the Pennines into enemy territory it became a barmcake... In Sheffield a ginnel is a jennel.

Asta mashed?

My parents would have whipped me severely if I had ever actually said any of these things for real. They were pretty keen on elocution.
It's a wonderful county. Sounds like you and I are from the same neck of the woods.

Mayhap!
It's probably more that a Londoner would punch you if you called them that (these people have no manners! :p:), not that they'd do better than a Yorkshire countryman in a fight :p:.

Well, as they say, Yorkshire born and Yorkshire bred, strong in t' arm and weak in t' ead.
Mayhap!

'Appen, tha means!
It's a breadcake. When I crossed the Pennines into enemy territory it became a barmcake... In Sheffield a ginnel is a jennel.

Asta mashed?

My parents would have whipped me severely if I had ever actually said any of these things for real. They were pretty keen on elocution.

Haha I went to uni in Liverpool (starting to think I've lived in too many different places...) and I didn't know what a barm was. That's a silly word. Although I call it a roll. *waits to get kicked*{

What's 'asta'? Have you made tea?

My mum was the same. I remember saying 'ain't' once and her response of 'there's no such word as ain't'
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending