The Student Room Group

If the General Election was tomorrow who would you vote for?

Scroll to see replies

Can I ask which constituency or which MP that is?
http://theeureferendum.blogspot.co.uk/

Blog post discussing the factors that will most likely decide how the upcoming general election will go.
Original post by Chelsea man
Labour is without a doubt the worst party that has ever existed in this country. Anyone who votes for them need psychiatric help.

As a former psychiatrist I would have to agree with you on that front. If you can vote for UKIP ( second gen on one side fourth gen on the other) or vote for your independent candidate. If you must vote for someone else other than the three main parties because then your address in the future will be

For example

22 cliff road
brighton
Sussex
Atlantic region
European Union.

If you like that address by all means go ahead and vote green, red blue or yellow.

As for the Green fallacy , if you want to go back to third world conditions to save the planet do it somewhere else, Personally I would like more coal fired power stations because that would be cheap plentiful energy, along with easy gasification such as in the 1950s and 1960s when we had coal gas plants producing town gas for our nation.. We have 300 years worth of coal underneath Britain and it would solve our " energy crisis" and make us self reliant on power whilst we build next generation nuclear plants. What most Green voters do not understand is that should they win power they will shut off the electricity plants and make us buy power from abroad. Wind and Solar will not be enough, not in the winter, we would face rolling blackouts in sub zero weather and we would be charged an absolute fortune for wanting keep warm or there would be power rationing. Is that what you want in order to save the planet?

As for us shutting coal power stations down? Well India is building 26 new ones, because there is power rationing in India. They live with daily if not weekly power cuts at certain times of day. So shutting them down here is of no use whatsoever. The elderly cannot afford to heat their houses, I myself have been charged £291 a month for electricity and gas for keeping my house at a steady 18 degrees celsius through the winter.

What we need for our elderly is cheap plentiful electricity and gas. Coal will provide that whilst we ramp up the nuclear option ( which is the cheapest and most green. You dont see France looking like a nuclear wasteland do you? It has 90 % of its electricity from nuclear power stations which is why the electricity there is cheap as chips.

All this nonsense with the Greens. Do you want to spend three hours each week separating your rubbish? Why do we pay council tax and employ dustbin men. They should do it, they get paid handsomely for the privilege.
Original post by pickup
This is the policy of despair. There are differences between the parties. The Labour party eg. amongst other, is concerned with fairness and listening to the needs of everyone not just the richest.

The Conservatives and their enablers, the Lib Dems, have no shame. They talk 'we're all in it together' but act 'class warfare' against the poorest who have been hardest hit by this Government.

There's been an average cut of £228.23 per person across the top 10% most deprived local authority areas. Meanwhile, councils in the 10% least deprived areas have seen cuts of only £44.91.

This is a policy which allows others to decide the future of our country. Wake up. The Conservatives will support their rich friends and we will have TTIP - the Trans Atlantic agreement which will enforce the power of Big Corporations against democratically elected Governments. TTIP will allow democratically elected Governments to be sued if their policies lead to a lowering of Corporations' profits. TTIP is being worked out as secretly as possible so that you aren't alerted.

Wake up. TTIP will enable US companies to sue the British Government if it refuses to allow them access to the NHS so it can take over and run it for profit. Just like they do in America - heaven help us.

This is a policy which will ensure that the needs and wishes of the younger generation are likely to be ignored. Older people vote. Younger people do not.

Despite everything you say - universal franchise has led to great popular pressure for improvements in life for the majority of people. It forms a check on those super rich who would ignore decency and gather all the country's wealth for themselves. 'After all poor people aren't really like us, they don't feel things like us'. 'They don't need much to live on.' 'They'd only waste extra money on frivolities'. 'They aren't used to nice things so don't miss them.' ''They won't work long enough hours if they were paid more'. 'They need the threat of destitution or the Workhouse to make them work harder.' etc. etc. Without it the rich would be able to ignore the plight of the poor and we would be back to indentured labour, no welfare state, no pensions, no rights.

Vote, Make sure you are registered. Encourage everyone to vote. This is one of the most important elections ever. The Conservatives are running scared, witness their
descent into personal attacks on Ed Miliband.

Someone is awake I applaud you.
Original post by Manitude
Right now I don't know as my incumbent MP voted in favour of fracking last week. Prior to that I was probably going to view for him. Now I'll probably vote independent if there are any standing or any of the five main parties (except UKIP) can offer something that is both very good AND credible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which MP or Constituency ?
Original post by Rohen Kapur YPP
Which MP or Constituency ?

Stephen Mosley (Con)/City Of Chester

He's been a decent enough local MP and voted the right way in some things (certainly better than the previous two incumbents which included non other than Giles Brandreth!), but voted in favour of fracking and increasing tuition fees and these things are pretty much deal breakers for me.
Original post by Manitude
Stephen Mosley (Con)/City Of Chester

He's been a decent enough local MP and voted the right way in some things (certainly better than the previous two incumbents which included non other than Giles Brandreth!), but voted in favour of fracking and increasing tuition fees and these things are pretty much deal breakers for me.

Tuition fees are an abomination. I went to Uni when it was free apart from supporting yourself through it. To actually pay for it would have crippled me. As it was I lived in abject budget poverty on £200 a month, Try doing that now... Even so some of my colleagues ended up with debts of over 13000 over a 5 year period. Now they'd be in penury for years.

Fracking is stupid. It would be worth it to reopen the mines but that would mean employing people, which the Tories dont want to do, neither do any of the other parties including Labour. No one is interested in saving anyone. All they want is to be able to leverage debt up against you to keep you busy so that you can't rebel.

From 2017 its academic. We'll be bound by QMV and we wont have a say in anything.

That is why this election is it. Now or never.
(edited 9 years ago)
As a former psychiatrist I would have to agree with you on that front. If you can vote for UKIP ( second gen on one side fourth gen on the other) or vote for your independent candidate. If you must vote for someone else other than the three main parties because then your address in the future will be

For example

22 cliff road
brighton
Sussex
Atlantic region
European Union.

If you like that address by all means go ahead and vote green, red blue or yellow.

As for the Green fallacy , if you want to go back to third world conditions to save the planet do it somewhere else, Personally I would like more coal fired power stations because that would be cheap plentiful energy, along with easy gasification such as in the 1950s and 1960s when we had coal gas plants producing town gas for our nation.. We have 300 years worth of coal underneath Britain and it would solve our " energy crisis" and make us self reliant on power whilst we build next generation nuclear plants. What most Green voters do not understand is that should they win power they will shut off the electricity plants and make us buy power from abroad. Wind and Solar will not be enough, not in the winter, we would face rolling blackouts in sub zero weather and we would be charged an absolute fortune for wanting keep warm or there would be power rationing. Is that what you want in order to save the planet?

As for us shutting coal power stations down? Well India is building 26 new ones, because there is power rationing in India. They live with daily if not weekly power cuts at certain times of day. So shutting them down here is of no use whatsoever. The elderly cannot afford to heat their houses, I myself have been charged £291 a month for electricity and gas for keeping my house at a steady 18 degrees celsius through the winter.

What we need for our elderly is cheap plentiful electricity and gas. Coal will provide that whilst we ramp up the nuclear option ( which is the cheapest and most green. You dont see France looking like a nuclear wasteland do you? It has 90 % of its electricity from nuclear power stations which is why the electricity there is cheap as chips.

All this nonsense with the Greens. Do you want to spend three hours each week separating your rubbish? Why do we pay council tax and employ dustbin men. They should do it, they get paid handsomely for the privilege.

typical scaremongering.

no it's not plentiful.

no we don't.

It doesn't take three hours. It takes five minutes.

no they don't.
Greens for sure. Only leftwing party left with decent policies.
I wouldn't despair if labour got in to power, but I wouldn't vote for them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tuition fees are an abomination. I went to Uni when it was free apart from supporting yourself through it. To actually pay for it would have crippled me. As it was I lived in abject budget poverty on £200 a month, Try doing that now... Even so some of my colleagues ended up with debts of over 13000 over a 5 year period. Now they'd be in penury for years.

Fracking is stupid. It would be worth it to reopen the mines but that would mean employing people, which the Tories dont want to do, neither do any of the other parties including Labour. No one is interested in saving anyone. All they want is to be able to leverage debt up against you to keep you busy so that you can't rebel.

From 2017 its academic. We'll be bound by QMV and we wont have a say in anything.

That is why this election is it. Now or never.

I agree the fees are an abomination, however the increase of the fees has nothing to do with how much money you have to live off as a student as the entirety of the fees can be covered by the loan. What I object to is the fact that there anyone needs to borrow money to get tuition. As a student I lived comfortably on less than £250 a month while at university (after rent).

My objection to fracking is mostly environmental and economic. It makes no sense to me to pump money into technology that will only further the problem of global warming when it could be spent investing in green energy which is not definitely going to run out after a few decades like shale gas! Also, with oil at a very low price right now we should be taking advantage of that rather than exploiting our own cheap reserves. When Saudi Arabia/UAE/Russia's oil reserves run out then maybe it would be worth extracting the shale gas, at which point the UK could be selling the gas on at extortionate global prices (ignoring my previous objection to extracting it at all for a moment). We wouldn't need the gas because we'd previously invested in clean technology and we'd be all driving electric cars run from wind/solar/wave/tidal/nuclear power! We could use the money to help pay off the national debt or something like that.

Essentially I think extracting shale gas in general is a bad idea but if it has to be done then now is a really bad time, so I'm really quite disappointed that my local MP voted against the moratorium.
Original post by Guills on wheels
typical scaremongering. No its a reality in about five to ten years.

no it's not plentiful. It would be if we had 70% from coal power.

no we don't. Yes we do. ( who ever told you that we didn't is lying) Look it up. ( unless theyve extracted it in the last ten to fifteen years which of course they havent)

It doesn't take three hours. It takes five minutes. ( really? It takes me forever. I cant stand it. I would rather go to the dump.

no they don't They get paid more than the minumum wage and they make enough money. You haven't lived through the winter of 1978..

You need to do a little research. The EU wants full political union. It wouldn't be called a union otherwise.
You need to do a little research. The EU wants full political union. It wouldn't be called a union otherwise.

What's your source for this since there is no indication that there would be sufficient support from the national leaders.

have you lived through the winter of 1978?
Original post by pickup
This is the policy of despair. There are differences between the parties. The Labour party eg. amongst other, is concerned with fairness and listening to the needs of everyone not just the richest.

The Conservatives and their enablers, the Lib Dems, have no shame. They talk 'we're all in it together' but act 'class warfare' against the poorest who have been hardest hit by this Government.

There's been an average cut of £228.23 per person across the top 10% most deprived local authority areas. Meanwhile, councils in the 10% least deprived areas have seen cuts of only £44.91.

This is a policy which allows others to decide the future of our country. Wake up. The Conservatives will support their rich friends and we will have TTIP - the Trans Atlantic agreement which will enforce the power of Big Corporations against democratically elected Governments. TTIP will allow democratically elected Governments to be sued if their policies lead to a lowering of Corporations' profits. TTIP is being worked out as secretly as possible so that you aren't alerted.

Wake up. TTIP will enable US companies to sue the British Government if it refuses to allow them access to the NHS so it can take over and run it for profit. Just like they do in America - heaven help us.

This is a policy which will ensure that the needs and wishes of the younger generation are likely to be ignored. Older people vote. Younger people do not.

Despite everything you say - universal franchise has led to great popular pressure for improvements in life for the majority of people. It forms a check on those super rich who would ignore decency and gather all the country's wealth for themselves. 'After all poor people aren't really like us, they don't feel things like us'. 'They don't need much to live on.' 'They'd only waste extra money on frivolities'. 'They aren't used to nice things so don't miss them.' ''They won't work long enough hours if they were paid more'. 'They need the threat of destitution or the Workhouse to make them work harder.' etc. etc. Without it the rich would be able to ignore the plight of the poor and we would be back to indentured labour, no welfare state, no pensions, no rights.

Vote, Make sure you are registered. Encourage everyone to vote. This is one of the most important elections ever. The Conservatives are running scared, witness their
descent into personal attacks on Ed Miliband.

In the UK the path to a mandated legislative body supporting a quasi dual-monarchy is the outcome of a historical process in which the social elites circumscribed and then appropriated the power of the hereditary monarch. The power of the monarch to put his/her man or woman in positions of authority was adopted by all the political parties that succeeded it - the community does not choose its representatives and administrators, the parties or establishment bodies do. Subtle control of any elective system of government is a prerequisite for any national establishment; it includes the members of all mainstream political parties. The late MP and BBC political interviewer Brian Walden wrote, “The two front benches [in parliament] liked each other and disliked their back benches,” he continued, “We were children of the famous consensus ... turning the opposition into government made little difference, for we believed much the same things.” And they still do, look back on the economic policies of both major parties over the last half -century it is a record of the progressive adoption by both of a laissez-faire attitude to finance that neither are prepared to modify. The consensus Brian Walden referred to is alive and well on the front benches today you have no real choice the banks ‘own’ the politicians and through them, you. Does anyone seriously believe that the present arrangements are in anyway democratic (Their utility in supplying a relatively stable political arena is not in question, at present). We have to be constantly reminded that we live in a democratic country (one suspects that too many people don’t believe it and need to be reminded).
The electoral system is just one of several areas of national life in need of reform none of the mainstream parties will deliver it and a cross across the ballot is a vote for reform.
Yes Im 45 soon. So yes I remember the waste piling up by the striking refuse workers, and the winter of discontent and the blackouts. If the greens get in that will be what we get. There was 2 weeks of heavy snow.
Original post by Jammy Duel
What's your source for this since there is no indication that there would be sufficient support from the national leaders.

Where have you been? Ed Miliband wants a political union, Gordon Brown got the Lisbon treaty signed which signed away our political sovereignty. We rubber stamp EU directives in to statutory instruments of law, 85% of all new laws passed come from the EU. Which planet have you been on?
Where have you been? Ed Miliband wants a political union,

Well, that's a new one, I would have thought that both UKIP and the Conservatives would have been all over this by now if it were so clearly so. Once again, any proof? And I don't really want hand wavey anecdotal slippery slope arguments

Gordon Brown got the Lisbon treaty signed which signed away our political sovereignty.

Well, doing a bit of reading (seems like the document itself really needs reading and to be gone through with a fine comb) indicates it's merely a set of amendments. And, according to the authority that is Wikipedia, includes the provision to leave the EU, so...yeah...you kinda "need" it

We rubber stamp EU directives in to statutory instruments of law, 85% of all new laws passed come from the EU.

This is thrown around a lot, so I think for once I will challenge it. You got any proof that 85% are? And let's ignore the last year where our own legislation production has been rather sluggish.

Which planet have you been on?

Earth?
I'm no Europhile, in all likely hood given a referendum I would vote to leave, but that doesn't change that you're being more sensationalist that Farage.
Br
Original post by landscape2014
In the UK the path to a mandated legislative body supporting a quasi dual-monarchy is the outcome of a historical process in which the social elites circumscribed and then appropriated the power of the hereditary monarch. The power of the monarch to put his/her man or woman in positions of authority was adopted by all the political parties that succeeded it - the community does not choose its representatives and administrators, the parties or establishment bodies do. Subtle control of any elective system of government is a prerequisite for any national establishment; it includes the members of all mainstream political parties. The late MP and BBC political interviewer Brian Walden wrote, “The two front benches [in parliament] liked each other and disliked their back benches,” he continued, “We were children of the famous consensus ... turning the opposition into government made little difference, for we believed much the same things.” And they still do, look back on the economic policies of both major parties over the last half -century it is a record of the progressive adoption by both of a laissez-faire attitude to finance that neither are prepared to modify. The consensus Brian Walden referred to is alive and well on the front benches today you have no real choice the banks ‘own’ the politicians and through them, you. Does anyone seriously believe that the present arrangements are in anyway democratic (Their utility in supplying a relatively stable political arena is not in question, at present). We have to be constantly reminded that we live in a democratic country (one suspects that too many people don’t believe it and need to be reminded).
The electoral system is just one of several areas of national life in need of reform none of the mainstream parties will deliver it and a cross across the ballot is a vote for reform.

Brian Walden resigned his seat as MP in 1977 so was commenting on a time when perhaps there was more consensus about the Welfare State and there was more equality of income in the UK. This was followed by the privatisation policies of Margaret Thatcher, the selling off of our industries and the rise of child poverty.

Neither the consensus nor the condition of the country is the same now. This is why our Press, except for the Guardian, owned by foreign billionaire oligarchs, is attacking Ed Miliband. These people have no concern for the people of this country: they just want to export their ( huge) profits. They certainly don't want to have to pay their fair share of tax, support the minimum wage or have any social responsibility re housing or the NHS.

If you don't vote you are doing their work for them. They want you to believe Ed Miliband is incompetent (while they believe he is likely to be only too competent! but not at all in the way they want ) is anti business ( they believe he will crack down on them).
I'm sure I did write that I would vote, just not for the retention of the rigged election system in which you place so much faith. Brian Walden's experience has a direct relevance to the position we find ourselves in today. Remind me again about the fiscal policy of New Labour, they acquiesed in and enhanced the financial system you now rail against.
Labour!

If you believe in equality and helping everyone, not just the rich, then I don't see why you'd vote otherwise?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending