The Student Room Group

Promissory estoppel or consideration ?

Hi! Would really appreciate it if I could receive suggestions or comment on the following question below. Hope anyone could enlighten me on this question.

Qn) Jason signed a tenancy agreement with two professional swimmers ,a term that there will be a swimming pools by the time they occupy the rooms in September. Therefore , Jason engage Damien ,a contractor to construct this swimming pool at cost of 30000 pounds payable on the completion of work. After starting on work , the work is more difficult than expected and the cost of material gone higher. In august , he ask for extra 5000 pounds for the extra cost of material and additional effort. Jason agreed to pay him 5000 pounds and with the original 30000 pounds

Damien completed his work by September , but Jason say he is in financial difficulties and ask Damien to accept only 20000 pound which Damien agree to accept as full settlement.After a few months , he find out that Jason had inherited a large sum of money from sister estate who had pass away . He demanded for the remaining 15000 pounds from Jason which he refuse to pay.

Advise : Jason if he can go back on his promise to pay the extra 5000 pounds?

Solution: i am hesitant of whether to apply
Promissory estoppel or consideration or even both as both make sense. any idea which principle fit most compatibly in this question?
Damian provides jason with good consideration , to ensure the construction of swimming pool is ready on september , otherwise damian might get sued by the professional swimmer ? Am i right ? what others i have to add on?
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending