The Student Room Group

Progressing on to university proof-based mathematics

At university next year, I will be doing first year proof-based calculus and linear algebra. I would like to know, after doing AS and A2-Levels, how do students normally progress on to proof-based mathematics?

I would also appreciate any book recommendations for:
1. An introduction to proofs (How to prove)
2. The best proof-based calculus textbook
3. The best proof-based linear algebra textbook

Also, a question out of curiosity, will a proof-based textbook cover everything in a skill-based textbook but just in more detail?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Bump
Reply 2
Generally at university level they would start off by having you prove simple/trivial things to get you used to the ideas and concepts involved.

One book I read before uni was 'what is mathematics' which contains a lot of proof-based material. However, there is not as much linear algebra in there. There is some overlap between that and a typical a-level textbook but there is also differences in content.
Reply 3
Original post by ttoby
Generally at university level they would start off by having you prove simple/trivial things to get you used to the ideas and concepts involved.

One book I read before uni was 'what is mathematics' which contains a lot of proof-based material. However, there is not as much linear algebra in there. There is some overlap between that and a typical a-level textbook but there is also differences in content.

So after doing A-Levels, do you recommend reading 'What is Mathematics' to prepare for proof-based maths? After that, what textbooks do you recommend for proof-based calculus and linear algebra?
Reply 4
Original post by Lockie123
So after doing A-Levels, do you recommend reading 'What is Mathematics' to prepare for proof-based maths? After that, what textbooks do you recommend for proof-based calculus and linear algebra?

I read that book during a-levels.

Once you're at uni you would be recommended specific textbooks for each module in the course although personally I found that the lecture notes provided contained all the content I needed to know.
Reply 5
Original post by ttoby
I read that book during a-levels.

Once you're at uni you would be recommended specific textbooks for each module in the course although personally I found that the lecture notes provided contained all the content I needed to know.

You are very lucky! Are there any lecture notes online that are really good that I could use to self-study calculus and linear algebra? It would be even better if they included challenging questions!

Quick Reply

Latest