The Student Room Group

Maths vs Maths and Physics

How does Maths at the University of Warwick compare to Maths and Physics?
Reply 1
Original post by StavP
How does Maths at the University of Warwick compare to Maths and Physics?

You've been a bit vague with what you mean by compare but i'll do my best :smile:

The big difference is that the maths&physics course is less flexible. Particularly in 1st year, you do 130 cats core( 10 above the standard uni requirement). You cover all the core stuff from physics and almost all the core stuff from maths( you miss about 6 weeks of abstract algebra) but you do not do labs like regular physics students( unless you are on the 4 year masters in which case you do in year 3).
This remains the same in later years too, on the maths course by year 3 you won't have any core modules. On the mathsphys one you still have a decent amount. Both courses let you take modules from each department so choosing maths will not block you from taking physics modules and from maths&physics you have access to all the maths modules.

Tbh, if you are split between the two i'd recommend doing just maths. You can pretty much take as many physics modules as you want .
Reply 2
Original post by Skiwi
You've been a bit vague with what you mean by compare but i'll do my best :smile:

The big difference is that the maths&physics course is less flexible. Particularly in 1st year, you do 130 cats core( 10 above the standard uni requirement). You cover all the core stuff from physics and almost all the core stuff from maths( you miss about 6 weeks of abstract algebra) but you do not do labs like regular physics students( unless you are on the 4 year masters in which case you do in year 3).
This remains the same in later years too, on the maths course by year 3 you won't have any core modules. On the mathsphys one you still have a decent amount. Both courses let you take modules from each department so choosing maths will not block you from taking physics modules and from maths&physics you have access to all the maths modules.

Tbh, if you are split between the two i'd recommend doing just maths. You can pretty much take as many physics modules as you want .

I'm just afraid that maths may have a lot of theory (theorems and proofs), while maths and physics may have more applications (closer to A level maths). I'm choosing maths to be solving problems, not to be learning theorems. Is maths and physics more
Original post by StavP

I'm just afraid that maths may have a lot of theory (theorems and proofs), while maths and physics may have more applications (closer to A level maths). I'm choosing maths to be solving problems, not to be learning theorems. Is maths and physics more

The maths side of the course will be the same as the main maths degree (proof based). Note that you'll do plenty of maths akin to A-level Maths in a physics degree - that's basically the whole course for physics!

It's not like A-level Physics, it's actually calculus based and you'll be doing calculus, solving differential equations and doing matrix algebra every day in a physics degree even as a single honours. You wouldn't be "dropping" maths by doing a single honours physics degree.
Reply 4
Original post by StavP

If you don't want to learn theorems, I wouldn't go for a maths degree. A very large number of modules are proof based, whilst you can choose to take computational ones in later year(I'm taking mathematical biology and asymptotics&integral transforms this year and they are entirely mechanical for example) you will still have to go through the entire analysis sequence plus linear algebra+abstract algebra.

Even on the maths&physics course you still have a large amount of pure stuff to cover, you do most of core stuff the maths students do in years1&2 so you wont escape it.

That being said, figuring out how to prove something is problem solving. You likely won't have done anything proof based/pure before uni so you might end up liking it.

A-level maths isnt really a good representation of what uni maths, like artful lounger said above. Uni physics is probably a better continuation of it
Reply 5
Original post by artful_lounger
The maths side of the course will be the same as the main maths degree (proof based). Note that you'll do plenty of maths akin to A-level Maths in a physics degree - that's basically the whole course for physics!

It's not like A-level Physics, it's actually calculus based and you'll be doing calculus, solving differential equations and doing matrix algebra every day in a physics degree even as a single honours. You wouldn't be "dropping" maths by doing a single honours physics degree.

I don't think I used a matrix once in any of my first year physics modules:smile:

First year maths& physics is weird, you don't do any of the maths modules given by the physics department because they assume you're comfortable with it already/you take stuff from maths department. Which leads you to missing a lot of the "physics maths" because the first year physics modules aren't too mathematically demanding due to them making sure everyone's caught up. I've heard it steps up a lot in second year though.
Reply 6
Original post by Skiwi
If you don't want to learn theorems, I wouldn't go for a maths degree. A very large number of modules are proof based, whilst you can choose to take computational ones in later year(I'm taking mathematical biology and asymptotics&integral transforms this year and they are entirely mechanical for example) you will still have to go through the entire analysis sequence plus linear algebra+abstract algebra.

Even on the maths&physics course you still have a large amount of pure stuff to cover, you do most of core stuff the maths students do in years1&2 so you wont escape it.

That being said, figuring out how to prove something is problem solving. You likely won't have done anything proof based/pure before uni so you might end up liking it.

A-level maths isnt really a good representation of what uni maths, like artful lounger said above. Uni physics is probably a better continuation of it

I'm just looking for a degree that is most similar to A level maths/physics without going abstract. If in maths or maths and physics I don't escape theorems, on which degree do I?
Reply 7
Original post by StavP
I'm just looking for a degree that is most similar to A level maths/physics without going abstract. If in maths or maths and physics I don't escape theorems, on which degree do I?

I guess just physics? But what you want doesn't really make sense. Physics is going to get a lot more abstract, same with most courses. The point of studying something at uni is to learn more/move onto more advanced stuff, not to repeat what you did at a-level.
Reply 8
Original post by Skiwi
I guess just physics? But what you want doesn't really make sense. Physics is going to get a lot more abstract, same with most courses. The point of studying something at uni is to learn more/move onto more advanced stuff, not to repeat what you did at a-level.

Yeah, I didn't mean to repeat A level but to start and move on from there instead of being thrown to abtract stuff immediately. But yeah, just wanna avoid theorems
Reply 9
Original post by StavP
Yeah, I didn't mean to repeat A level but to start and move on from there instead of being thrown to abtract stuff immediately. But yeah, just wanna avoid theorems

Why the aversion to theorems if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 10
Original post by Skiwi
Why the aversion to theorems if you don't mind me asking?

It's not aversion, just not interested in proving stuff. Just using it. My interest is calculating integrals, vectors, differential equations etc.

Quick Reply

Latest