The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Jonty99
Only UCL and Peninsula state they give some preference to applicants with a contrasting subject. (And even then, it's only some preference, people still get in without a contrasting subject.)

My advice would be to do 4 subjects, and not to bother with the 5th. Biology, Chemistry, Maths, and Physics is a perfectly suitable combination for medicine, so no need for a 5th subject IMO.

Completely agree.
Reply 1181
one guy in my year got all 4 offers for medicine without biology as or a2.
he did chem, phys, maths, f maths and french at as, and chem phys, maths and f maths at a2,
he got offers from durham (part of newcastle), glasgow, manchester and sheffield. Two were AAB and two were AAA, not sure which though
Reply 1182
I'm about to go into my first year of sixth form, and I've chosen maths, chemistry, biology and art. I've suddenly started having doubts about art, and I'm wondering whether Unis see it as a non subject! I'm prepared to work hard in all my choices, just wondering whether my efforts would be worth more in a subject like philosophy or english.

I would absolutely hate not doing art, I chose it because I enjoy it and I'm good at it, and I want a balance.
Reply 1183
Do art :smile:
Do art.
I think it's okay to have a non-science subject like art for your fourth subject as long as the other three are science related e.g. biology, chemistry, maths as you have chosen.
My brother's now an F1 and studied maths, chemistry, biology and french. I see no reason why art wouldn't be respected tbh...
Reply 1187
Princestia
I think it's okay to have a non-science subject like art for your fourth subject as long as the other three are science related e.g. biology, chemistry, maths as you have chosen.

You don't need three sciences.
Art will be fine.
Sounds absolutely fine to me. Art could actually be quite useful - some doctors often draw / craft stuff in the course of their work. others do art for pleasure. it's definitely something to discuss in interviews, may make you seem more interesting than some of the other candidates. The issue of the relationship between art & medicine is quite widely discussed in the medical education literature.
You should do art. Cause i am doing biology chemistry maths and history. i am doing history for the same reason as you. So art will be fine, you need a balance anyway :smile:
Do art and go to UCL as they look favourably on a contrasting arts subject when applying for medicine
Art would be great.
Usually Biology Chemistry look good. Maths is a good choice. And a non-science subject like english, a foreing language or art is really preffered.
I did further maths and i probably made a big mistake.
whyisthatcrazy
Do art and go to UCL as they look favourably on a contrasting arts subject when applying for medicine

Don't apply to UCL if this is your only reason for doing so.
Reply 1195
Do it :smile: universities prefer well rounded people to massive science 'geeks'. They want to know you can do something else too :smile: If my drawing skills weren't below the level of a three year olds, i would done it :P
almafay
I'm about to go into my first year of sixth form, and I've chosen maths, chemistry, biology and art. I've suddenly started having doubts about art, and I'm wondering whether Unis see it as a non subject! I'm prepared to work hard in all my choices, just wondering whether my efforts would be worth more in a subject like philosophy or english.

I would absolutely hate not doing art, I chose it because I enjoy it and I'm good at it, and I want a balance.

You should drop either chemistry or biology, you have too many sciences for your application to be taken seriously.

Most medical schools say they strongly prefer candidates who have atleast one vocational subject such as Drama or Media Studies, I don't think Art would count.
Thats fine

Art can be good, as it can develop fine motor skills which is useful if you want to become a surgeon
easyindeed
You should drop either chemistry or biology, you have too many sciences for your application to be taken seriously.

Most medical schools say they strongly prefer candidates who have atleast one vocational subject such as Drama or Media Studies, I don't think Art would count.

You HAVE to take Biology and Chemistry for most med schools. So they'd definitely have to take them. If you were to drop a science it would be Maths, but this fairs quite well for medicine. Of course their application will be taken seriously.

And where did you here that vocational subjects are preferred. They order to have 1 or 2 that are not science related, definitely not vocational. I've heard subjects such as Drama and PE are sometimes an added bonus, but usually taken as a 4th or 5th subject. Subjects like media studies however medical schools detest.

OP you'll fare really well taking Art. It is a very respected subject but it is VERY difficult. If you have a natural flair though - go for it!
Art is fine, good luck with it :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending