The Student Room Group

MATHS C1: What's -b/2a?

I got the question right (x = -4), however the mark scheme's example used -b/2a. I know that -b/2a is a quick method of finding the vertex of a graph, but I don't understand how that's relevant to this question.

(I'm referring to part (B))

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by creativebuzz
I got the question right (x = -4), however the mark scheme's example used -b/2a. I know that -b/2a is a quick method of finding the vertex of a graph, but I don't understand how that's relevant to this question.

Line of symmetry of a quadratic is -b/(2a) following the usual notation
Reply 2

since the quadratic is a perfect square x=-b(2a) is the solution
Original post by TeeEm
since the quadratic is a perfect square x=-b(2a) is the solution

Can you explain that further? (sorry, I just really want to understand this completely)
Original post by TeeEm
Line of symmetry of a quadratic is -b/(2a) following the usual notation

Yeah I know that it's the vertex etc! I just don't understand how that relates to the question..
Reply 5
Can you explain that further? (sorry, I just really want to understand this completely)

if p=4

you can sub in and get x2 - 8x +16 = 0
perfect square expected as (x-4)2
solution x = 4 (repeated)

or

you do not bother

x=-b/(2a)=2p/(2x1) = 4 again
Reply 6

This come from the following quadratic eq. formula

x1,2=b±b24ac2a\displaystyle x_{1,2}=\frac{-b \pm \sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}

For 2 equal solutions the D=b24acD=\sqrt{b^2-4ac} (discriminant) is zero
From this you will get the value of p
where (from the equation)
a=1
b=2p
c=3p+4

So the
solution of the equation with this value of p will be

x1,1=b±D2a=b+02a=b2a\displaystyle x_{1,1}=\frac{-b \pm D}{2a}=\frac{-b+0}{2a}=-\frac{b}{2a}

eqaul roots =perfect square
u can prove this results with the 'general' roots

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths

Posted from TSR Mobile

i meant prove the -b/2a result proof

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't understand what you're trying to say..
Original post by TeeEm
if p=4

you can sub in and get x2 - 8x +16 = 0
perfect square expected as (x-4)2
solution x = 4 (repeated)

or

you do not bother

x=-b/(2a)=2p/(2x1) = 4 again

Oh okay! So what has that got to do with the vertex?
by symmetry, the line of symmetry of a quadratic is halfway between the roots (ie line of symmetry is x=α+β2x=\dfrac{\alpha+\beta}{2} where alpha and beta are the roots of the equation)

it just so happens that the formula for α+β\alpha+\beta is -b/a (if you do Fp1, you'll find out more about this), so the line of symmetry must be at -b/2a
(edited 9 years ago)
consider

x= -b+-sqrt(B^2-4ac)/2a
since b^2-4ac =0
this makes x=-b/2a

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Oh okay! So what has that got to do with the vertex?

the vertex is a touching point on the x axis!:smile:
Original post by Arithmeticae
by symmetry, the x coordinate vertex of a quadratic is halfway between the roots (e.g. α+β2\dfrac{\alpha+\beta}{2} )

it just so happens that the formula for α+β\alpha+\beta is -b/a (if you do Fp1, you'll find out more about this), so the x coordinate of the vertex (and hence the line of symmetry) must be at -b/2a

Oh I see now! So will this work with any coordinate or do the number have to be a perfect square?
Original post by TeeEm
the vertex is a touching point on the x axis!:smile:

Ah of course, because it's a repeated root! Thank you!

So if the question didn't include 4/aka a perfect square, for example if it was three (a number which isn't a perfect square), could I still use the formula -b/2a or?

So if the question didn't include 4/aka a perfect square, for example if it was three (a number which isn't a perfect square), could I still use the formula -b/2a or?

look at the statement i made above. u can use it wheneve b^2-4ac=0

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh I see now! So will this work with any coordinate or do the number have to be a perfect square?

the line of symmetry (and hence the x coordinate of teh vertex) will always be at -b/2a

by perfect square they dont mean a number the mean it is factorised into a dohble root ie
(x-1)^2 or
(x-33)^2

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19

correct!

best thing is to substitute the value(s) of p into the quadratic and solve it expecting a perfect square.

Quick Reply

Latest