The Student Room Group
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen

University of Aberdeen Applicants and Offer Holders for 2015 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PeachButterfly96
Congrats!! :biggrin: Woow all unconditional? Are you a Scottish/gap year student then? I was going to apply for geol and pet geol but instead chose geography, but I hope to switch to pet geol! :smile: Good courses though, I would choose the best course which suits you, and the career you want would be the best advice I would give. :smile:
thank you!! Still can't believe it! I only sent it away two weeks ago!! And yeah all unconditional! :smile: the other offers are for earth science at glasgow, geology at edinburgh and environmental geoscience at edinburgh!! Ahh awesome are you enjoying it so far? Cool!! Hope you get to switch then!:smile: Thankyou!! I definitely need to take that into account for sure, hopefully I'll make a good decision!!
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen
Congrats!! :biggrin: Woow all unconditional? Are you a Scottish/gap year student then? I was going to apply for geol and pet geol but instead chose geography, but I hope to switch to pet geol! :smile: Good courses though, I would choose the best course which suits you, and the career you want would be the best advice I would give. :smile:
and ps I'm a Scottish student!!
I'm applying for Politics & International Relations

S5 Highers: ABBCC
Predicted S6 grades: BB at Adv. Higher and AA at Higher

Application sent two days ago, no acknowledgement or offer yet.

Does Aberdeen send out acknowledgements to applicants like other universities? If so they're two days later than my other choices.
Original post by robertscott1997

Does Aberdeen send out acknowledgements to applicants like other universities? If so they're two days later than my other choices.

I think they send out letters, not emails, which is why it takes them a bit longer. I'm a EU student and so I had to wait a week (or was it two?) before my letter of acknowledgement arrived.
Original post by robertscott1997

Yeah, they send out letters, which is quaintly old-fashioned haha. :smile:
Original post by Megzsurfxx
thank you!! Still can't believe it! I only sent it away two weeks ago!! And yeah all unconditional! :smile: the other offers are for earth science at glasgow, geology at edinburgh and environmental geoscience at edinburgh!! Ahh awesome are you enjoying it so far? Cool!! Hope you get to switch then!:smile: Thankyou!! I definitely need to take that into account for sure, hopefully I'll make a good decision!!

Yeah, I know it's amazing how fast they get back! I got an unconditional from Aberdeen a week after I sent it! Ooh they sound like good courses, very similar to mine actually, my other offers are earth science at Lancaster and geology with a year in industry at RHUL, just waiting on St Andrews now! I was actually thinking of emailing admissions to see if I could switch now to geology from geography, or if I should just wait until I get there, I'm not sure!!
Original post by FrauBecca
Yup, even then. We were all sitting in our seats wearing jackets, I even kept my hat and scarf on! If they don't I guess I'll just have to bring a hot-water bottle to class and put it against my back to have my own heating :biggrin: I only had one oral exam, my final Chem exam, so I didn't even have any practice before. Glad you're looking forward to it, I wish you good luck for that! :smile: I hope not, but I guess as long as it's not Oxford/Cambridge or a uni like that they won't invite international students over for interviews...

Oh my God that sounds awful! Poor you! :P Haha that would be hilarious, but probably some students do that, I mean, it must get freezing in mid-December! Oh I see. Thank you! It's not until January so I have a while yet. :smile: No no, I suspect they wont, they know international students have to travel far to get to interviews. I can't remember if I've asked this before, but are you going to any of the applicant days then? :smile:
Oh my God that sounds awful! Poor you! :P Haha that would be hilarious, but probably some students do that, I mean, it must get freezing in mid-December! Oh I see. Thank you! It's not until January so I have a while yet. :smile: No no, I suspect they wont, they know international students have to travel far to get to interviews. I can't remember if I've asked this before, but are you going to any of the applicant days then? :smile:

Exactly, and since I'm feeling very cold in winter in Northern Germany I can't imagine what it would be like in Aberdeen :biggrin: January sounds so far away, especially because for me time seems to pass very slowly waiting for replies, it feels like I sent my application off months ago although it's only been two weeks! I guess the unis I applied to won't do that but I've heard some unis do that even with American applicants... that's a bit unfair, I think. Are applicant days like visitor's days just for applicants? I'd say it depends on if I get offers from my top choices and can't decide... and if they'll be close in time so I can go to multiple ones. Do you know if it's frowned upon not to go?
Exactly, and since I'm feeling very cold in winter in Northern Germany I can't imagine what it would be like in Aberdeen :biggrin: January sounds so far away, especially because for me time seems to pass very slowly waiting for replies, it feels like I sent my application off months ago although it's only been two weeks! I guess the unis I applied to won't do that but I've heard some unis do that even with American applicants... that's a bit unfair, I think. Are applicant days like visitor's days just for applicants? I'd say it depends on if I get offers from my top choices and can't decide... and if they'll be close in time so I can go to multiple ones. Do you know if it's frowned upon not to go?

Haha it looks like we will both have to stock up on hot water bottles then. :wink: Urgh I know exactly what you mean, I've got all of my replies apart from St Andrews, and I want them to hurry up so so bad!! Then again I only sent it two weeks ago too! Oh, then I don't know if you'll get an interview, but if they say they don't interview then presume they don't? Yeah, applicant days are for people who have offers, at Aberdeen there are days for science people and days for arts people - it's on their website. :smile: It's definitely good if you can't decide - that's what I'm doing! Yeah, I was thinking about staying in Scotland for a week so I can go to Aberdeen and St Andrews. No, it's not frowned upon at all! Well, it is if you've been specifically invited to an interview which you haven't yet. It's just to find out more about your course in more detail.
Haha it looks like we will both have to stock up on hot water bottles then. :wink: Urgh I know exactly what you mean, I've got all of my replies apart from St Andrews, and I want them to hurry up so so bad!! Then again I only sent it two weeks ago too! Oh, then I don't know if you'll get an interview, but if they say they don't interview then presume they don't? Yeah, applicant days are for people who have offers, at Aberdeen there are days for science people and days for arts people - it's on their website. :smile: It's definitely good if you can't decide - that's what I'm doing! Yeah, I was thinking about staying in Scotland for a week so I can go to Aberdeen and St Andrews. No, it's not frowned upon at all! Well, it is if you've been specifically invited to an interview which you haven't yet. It's just to find out more about your course in more detail.

Yes, I love them so much because there's no need to wear thousands of layers if your back is nice and warm! My hope is that living in Scotland will be cosy and warm inside while it's cold outside instead of just miserably cold everywhere. I've only got one offer so far and it's a bit worse because with four pending results, the chances of getting a reply everyday are high enough I get my hopes up every time I see my inbox telling me I have one new message - and then it turns out to be an email from TSR :biggrin: I never read anything about interviews on their websites, I think, and I was a bit paranoid and only applied to unis with entry requirements lower than my grades (much lower in some cases). And if I got an interview they should message me now/soon because international students need to sort out how to get there in time... I'll decide on whether to go when I've got my offers, then. Part of me thinks it would be really smart to check them out but another part of me is like "Oh no! So much wasted money!"
Yes, I love them so much because there's no need to wear thousands of layers if your back is nice and warm! My hope is that living in Scotland will be cosy and warm inside while it's cold outside instead of just miserably cold everywhere. I've only got one offer so far and it's a bit worse because with four pending results, the chances of getting a reply everyday are high enough I get my hopes up every time I see my inbox telling me I have one new message - and then it turns out to be an email from TSR :biggrin: I never read anything about interviews on their websites, I think, and I was a bit paranoid and only applied to unis with entry requirements lower than my grades (much lower in some cases). And if I got an interview they should message me now/soon because international students need to sort out how to get there in time... I'll decide on whether to go when I've got my offers, then. Part of me thinks it would be really smart to check them out but another part of me is like "Oh no! So much wasted money!"

I agree! From my experience of Scotland that tends to be the case, although there are days when it's miserable cold everywhere. :/ Oh noo haha, that must be annoying! I was like that last year, every UCAS email it was always just another newsletter, although this year I keep on getting St Andrews newsletters which is great but on the other hand I'm getting really impatient! Well if you applied to unis with entry requirements lower then you can pretty much guarantee you'll get all five offers. :smile: And yeah they probably would have emailed you by now so that's good. Yeah, I mean I'm only checking them all out because I will be undecided on my insurance if St A offer me a place, but it is expensive when you add it all up, to be honest if I end up not liking a course for whatever reason I'm going to regret not going so...:smile:
Yeah, they send out letters, which is quaintly old-fashioned haha. :smile:

Letters... nice and formal, I like it! Might make Aberdeen my first choice now :tongue:
I agree! From my experience of Scotland that tends to be the case, although there are days when it's miserable cold everywhere. :/ Oh noo haha, that must be annoying! I was like that last year, every UCAS email it was always just another newsletter, although this year I keep on getting St Andrews newsletters which is great but on the other hand I'm getting really impatient! Well if you applied to unis with entry requirements lower then you can pretty much guarantee you'll get all five offers. :smile: And yeah they probably would have emailed you by now so that's good. Yeah, I mean I'm only checking them all out because I will be undecided on my insurance if St A offer me a place, but it is expensive when you add it all up, to be honest if I end up not liking a course for whatever reason I'm going to regret not going so...:smile:

As long as it's just days and not all year I think I can live with that. It really is quite frustrating, but on the other hand I don't want to turn off the TSR notifications because this is nice while waiting :smile: I also keep logging into my separate Edinburgh and Dundee email account, but no new mails so far :frown: Well, in most cases, like Edinburgh and Aberdeen, the entry requirements are 2.0, and mine is 1.3 (our grades go from 1.0-4.0 - 4.0 is the lowest grade that lets you pass). But Edinburgh said 1.2 as their typical offer, what does that mean? (I applied anyway because I exceeded the minimum entry requirements.) That's true, I think if I can't decide and get offers from my top choices I'll end up going, my parents pay for it after all and they also keep bugging me to go to Crete with them in the spring, I think the money is better spent on a short trip to Scotland :smile:
As long as it's just days and not all year I think I can live with that. It really is quite frustrating, but on the other hand I don't want to turn off the TSR notifications because this is nice while waiting :smile: I also keep logging into my separate Edinburgh and Dundee email account, but no new mails so far :frown: Well, in most cases, like Edinburgh and Aberdeen, the entry requirements are 2.0, and mine is 1.3 (our grades go from 1.0-4.0 - 4.0 is the lowest grade that lets you pass). But Edinburgh said 1.2 as their typical offer, what does that mean? (I applied anyway because I exceeded the minimum entry requirements.) That's true, I think if I can't decide and get offers from my top choices I'll end up going, my parents pay for it after all and they also keep bugging me to go to Crete with them in the spring, I think the money is better spent on a short trip to Scotland :smile:

Yeah me too. Well I don't have notifications on, I just come on here a lot and my notifications come up at the top, instead of emails. Oh, well I'm sure you'll get something sooooon. I see, 1.2 means the offer they would usually give as a conditional. So, they'll consider you with a 1.3 because you exceeded the minimum, but a competitive offer that most people apply with is 1.2, so that's why their typical offer is 1.2, because that's what most applicants have who apply to Edinburgh. Doesn't necessarily mean you wont get in though, it's all dependent on ps and reference etc too. :smile: Oh haha, well if that's the choice between Crete and Scotland I would go for Crete. :wink: Which reminds me, I'm going to Berlin in April, can you recommend any good places to visit in Berlin, if you've been?
Yeah me too. Well I don't have notifications on, I just come on here a lot and my notifications come up at the top, instead of emails. Oh, well I'm sure you'll get something sooooon. I see, 1.2 means the offer they would usually give as a conditional. So, they'll consider you with a 1.3 because you exceeded the minimum, but a competitive offer that most people apply with is 1.2, so that's why their typical offer is 1.2, because that's what most applicants have who apply to Edinburgh. Doesn't necessarily mean you wont get in though, it's all dependent on ps and reference etc too. :smile: Oh haha, well if that's the choice between Crete and Scotland I would go for Crete. :wink: Which reminds me, I'm going to Berlin in April, can you recommend any good places to visit in Berlin, if you've been?

I have mine on in case someone gets a Psychology offer from one of the unis I've applied to... which hasn't happened yet. Ah, thanks for clearing that up :smile: Nah, I'd have to go to Crete with my mom and my stepdad... and it wouldn't help me to get to know the universities better. Hmm, I've only been to Berlin once, we visited the Bundestag with the glass dome, which was really amazing (but I think you usually have to wait in line for a long time). There's lots of good museums in Berlin (they have a museum island), I do remember visiting the Jewish Museum and a few art museums. A friend of mine visited the chocolate museum, I only remember 'cause she gave me chocolate when she returned. :biggrin:
I have mine on in case someone gets a Psychology offer from one of the unis I've applied to... which hasn't happened yet. Ah, thanks for clearing that up :smile: Nah, I'd have to go to Crete with my mom and my stepdad... and it wouldn't help me to get to know the universities better. Hmm, I've only been to Berlin once, we visited the Bundestag with the glass dome, which was really amazing (but I think you usually have to wait in line for a long time). There's lots of good museums in Berlin (they have a museum island), I do remember visiting the Jewish Museum and a few art museums. A friend of mine visited the chocolate museum, I only remember 'cause she gave me chocolate when she returned. :biggrin:

Oh okay. :smile: Well Crete is much better than Scotland! Okay, cool, thanks for that, I'm going to make sure to check out the chocolate museum! :wink:
Oh okay. :smile: Well Crete is much better than Scotland! Okay, cool, thanks for that, I'm going to make sure to check out the chocolate museum! :wink:

Maybe in terms of weather and how much you get to relax at the beach :smile: You're welcome, hope you'll have fun in April :smile:
Maybe in terms of weather and how much you get to relax at the beach :smile: You're welcome, hope you'll have fun in April :smile:

Haha yes, definitely! Thanks :smile:
How posh is Aberdeen?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GeschichteJunge
How posh is Aberdeen?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have no idea haha. You're probably better off asking a current student? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending