The Student Room Group

Graduate entry dentistry 2024

Well here we go again x 4....1st time I missed the grades for undergrad and got AAAC (the C in chemistry) and ended up doing a BSc, now I'm on my MSc... really considering doing a PHD. This will be my fourth time applying, 3rd time as a graduate.

Putting out positive energy that I will smash the UCAT and also get an offer to study for 2024 entry.

My stats are 1st BSc(Hons), predicted a distinction for my masters/working on research towards a treatment/cure for Behcet's disease and I'm also a qualified/registered DCP!

I just want to get into a BDS course, so I guess this is my gap year(?), anyone else in the same boat?

My UCAT is in September so Band 1 and 900 average score would be amazing!! (since it seems every dental school wants UCAT now !!)

Currently thinking of applying to UCLAN not sure where else I can go!

Going to make this as a progress journal hoping to look back on this in a year and be happy this happen

Update:
Applied to Aberdeen, UCLan, King's GEP and Leeds! All the best everyone
(edited 6 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by applesandalevels
Well here we go again x 4....1st time I missed the grades for undergrad and got AAAC (the C in chemistry) and ended up doing a BSc, now I'm on my MSc... really considering doing a PHD. This will be my fourth time applying, 3rd time as a graduate.

Putting out positive energy that I will smash the UCAT and also get an offer to study for 2024 entry.

My stats are 1st BSc(Hons), predicted a distinction for my masters/working on research towards a treatment/cure for Behcet's disease and I'm also a qualified/registered DCP!

I just want to get into a BDS course, so I guess this is my gap year(?), anyone else in the same boat?

My UCAT is in September so Band 1 and 900 average score would be amazing!! (since it seems every dental school wants UCAT now !!)

Hi there @applesandalevels, :smile:

Great to hear that you are thinking of applying for our BDS Dental Surgery course!

If you would like any more information on the course or want to know about life here at UCLan do let me know.

All the best, :smile:
Sarah
Reply 2

Wow, hopefully this year is your year. Have you done your ucat yet?
Original post by gabbyu
Wow, hopefully this year is your year. Have you done your ucat yet?

I really hope so too I can't imagine doing anything else! Also no my ucat is end of September? Are you grad entry too? Have done your ucat if so how did you find it?
Original post by UCLan Ambassador

Great to hear that you are thinking of applying for our BDS Dental Surgery course!

If you would like any more information on the course or want to know about life here at UCLan do let me know.

All the best, :smile:
Sarah

Hi Sarah

Just wondering how the UCAT will be used for 2024 entry? Is there a cut off? Will sjt be used as well as the other sections? Will the ucat just be used to rank people and not in conjunction with anything else like academics and personal statement...any information for ucat will be appreciated !
Reply 5
I really hope so too I can't imagine doing anything else! Also no my ucat is end of September? Are you grad entry too? Have done your ucat if so how did you find it?

Yeah I am grad entry as well and I've got mine on Saturday, hopefully it goes well and good luck to you
Original post by gabbyu
Yeah I am grad entry as well and I've got mine on Saturday, hopefully it goes well and good luck to you

ohh all the best let me know how it goes! where are you thinking of applying??
Reply 7
ohh all the best let me know how it goes! where are you thinking of applying??

Will do and I'm thinking of leeds, liverpool, queen mary, kings or newcastle, wbu?
Original post by gabbyu
Will do and I'm thinking of leeds, liverpool, queen mary, kings or newcastle, wbu?

i’m thinking uclan, aberdeen, kings and leeds!
Aberdeen, leeds, dundee, cardiff:smile:
What is your ucat guys?
Mine is 2520 band 2 sjt
Hi Sarah

Just wondering how the UCAT will be used for 2024 entry? Is there a cut off? Will sjt be used as well as the other sections? Will the ucat just be used to rank people and not in conjunction with anything else like academics and personal statement...any information for ucat will be appreciated !

Thank you for your question. The UCAT score will be used to determine who gets an interview out of the applications we receive. With this being the first year we have used the test we are unable to provide an average cut-off score.

The selection process is:
-Academic grades (available on website)
-UCAT (Top scoring candidates invited for MMI)
-MMI
-Offer based on MMI score

Each stage is a hurdle so there is no weighting. We do re-check academic grades are achieved for any candidate that has predicted grades.

I hope this helps,
Sarah
Reply 11

I know someone who had a 1st class degree and around 2500 ish in UKAT and got an interview then offer for Aberdeen, was a UK student too so maybe consider Aberdeen?
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by Dent.H
I know someone who had a 1st class degree and around 2500 ish in UKAT and got an interview then offer for Aberdeen, was a UK student too so maybe consider Aberdeen?

That is so reassuring as Aberdeen is my first choice and I got 2520 band 2 sjt.
Was that person who got the offer from last year's cohort?
Original post by Dent.H

were they Scottish or ROUK? ik they favour Scottish students over rouk, i'm going to apply for uclan, Aberdeen, kings and leeds
Reply 14
were they Scottish or ROUK? ik they favour Scottish students over rouk, i'm going to apply for uclan, Aberdeen, kings and leeds

Yep, ROUK
Reply 15
Original post by Greekdentist
That is so reassuring as Aberdeen is my first choice and I got 2520 band 2 sjt.
Was that person who got the offer from last year's cohort?

Yep, know her, she declined it for UCLAN but yes was just last yr so she'll be starting uni this month
Original post by Dent.H
Yep, know her, she declined it for UCLAN but yes was just last yr so she'll be starting uni this month

that's soo good!
why did she decline uclan? what's good about Aberdeen i dont know much about Scottish unis!
Reply 17
that's soo good!
why did she decline uclan? what's good about Aberdeen i dont know much about Scottish unis!

no, she declined aberdeen for UCLAN. Tbh, I love Scotland so wouldnt mind going myself I see the appeal
Made the mistake of looking at applicants -> offers to interview -> offers and now I'm super stressed!
As grads I wish we were excluded from the entrance exam :/ we have at least one degree and long as we've got dental experience it should be that clearly we're smart enough to do uni for me twice with interviews too :eek:
Original post by Dent.H
no, she declined aberdeen for UCLAN. Tbh, I love Scotland so wouldnt mind going myself I see the appeal

Oh my bad UCAT has fogged my mind! why did she decline aberdenn for uclan?

Quick Reply

Latest