The Student Room Group

Official: University of Aberdeen A100 2024 Entry Applicants

Welcome to the University of Aberdeen A100 2024 Entry Discussion.

Aberdeen A100 2023 thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7252449

For general information click: https://www.abdn.ac.uk/smmsn/undergr...cine/index.php

For entry requirements click: https://www.abdn.ac.uk/smmsn/undergr...quirements.php

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for, advertise or mention group chats.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!

Scroll to see replies

Welcome to the thread all! We are the University of Aberdeen rep account and will be very happy to answer any questions you have through the process.

This thread is for those applying to the Undergraduate Medicine MBChB programme starting in September 2024. Please use this thread to discuss the applicant experience, talk about studying in Aberdeen, and voice any questions you might have through the process of applying to study Medicine. We’re very happy to advise on any questions you have but also feel free to discuss amongst yourselves.

The best way to find out more about the programme is to have a look at the course page on our website. Please have a look here for more details about entry requirements, start dates, fees, and more information about what you will be able to study with us in the course: https://www.abdn.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/degree-programmes/796/A100/medicine-5-years/
You can have a look at the academic and non-academic requirements by following this link: https://www.abdn.ac.uk/smmsn/undergraduate/medicine/entrance-requirements.php
We also provide a detailed view of the application process at the link below. Please note that the deadline for applications for 2024 is Monday 16th October 2023 and we would advise that you be sure to make you applications before this date to avoid any last minute complications: https://www.abdn.ac.uk/smmsn/undergraduate/medicine/application-process.php

You can find out more about our Foresterhill Medical Campus here: https://www.abdn.ac.uk/about/campus/foresterhill-390.php
And we have an overview of the course content here: https://www.abdn.ac.uk/smmsn/undergraduate/medicine/our-course.php

All the best to all of you with your applications, and let us know if there’s anything we can help with!

- Matthew, Enquiry Team
roughly when do interviews start to get allocated for aberdeen?
Original post by Itsuaboiiij
roughly when do interviews start to get allocated for aberdeen?

Hi @Itsuaboiiij! Our Medical Admissions team will start to invite people for interviews in Autumn. The actual dates that interviews will take place and other useful information about the process can be seen here.

Adam - Enquiry Team
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 4
Hi all :smile: does Aberdeen favour Scottish applicants?
Original post by Mn111

scottish applicants generally have a lower cutoff
Reply 6
Hi

Is there a good chance of interview with Aberdeen

GCSE 9999999998 (8 in Eng Language)
Predicted 3A* for A-Levels
UCAT 2690 SJT band 2
Reply 7
Is anyone else applying to gateway to medicine?
Original post by Mn111

Hi, thanks for your question. We don’t favour Scottish students as all applications are judged fairly regardless of background, but we do have more places to offer Scottish students. For the 2023 intake we had 254 places for Scottish candidates, 25 for the rest of the UK or the Republic of Ireland, and 19 for International students coming from other countries. These numbers of places are set by the Scottish government and not something the university has control over, and they ensure that a number of students from all groups have the opportunity to study Medicine. The numbers for the 2024 intake have not been confirmed yet as far as I am aware but we may be able to update you on them when they have been. I hope that this is helpful to know!

- Matthew, Enquiry Team
Original post by Mn111
Hi

Is there a good chance of interview with Aberdeen

GCSE 9999999998 (8 in Eng Language)
Predicted 3A* for A-Levels
UCAT 2690 SJT band 2

Thank you for your question. We can never guarantee an interview as it is unpredictable what the scores of the other candidates will be, so it's really not a question we are able to answer. What we can do is provide guidance on what we are looking for in terms of entry requirements and UCAT scores to see where you sit there.

In order to give you an idea of your chances, I would suggest to check the lowest and highest UCAT scores to be invited to interview over the past years: https://www.abdn.ac.uk/smmsn/undergraduate/medicine/admissions-data.php
It is worth mentioning we do not have a fixed cut-off score for UCAT, though we will not normally consider those applying with UCAT SJT Band 4.

I hope this was useful but let us know if we can help any further.

- Matthew, Enquiry Team
Reply 10
Original post by UoA Enquiry Team
Hi, thanks for your question. We don’t favour Scottish students as all applications are judged fairly regardless of background, but we do have more places to offer Scottish students. For the 2023 intake we had 254 places for Scottish candidates, 25 for the rest of the UK or the Republic of Ireland, and 19 for International students coming from other countries. These numbers of places are set by the Scottish government and not something the university has control over, and they ensure that a number of students from all groups have the opportunity to study Medicine. The numbers for the 2024 intake have not been confirmed yet as far as I am aware but we may be able to update you on them when they have been. I hope that this is helpful to know!

- Matthew, Enquiry Team

That is interesting, as the Scottish Funding Council Intake Targets for medicine states "Once again, in AY 2023-24 there will be no specific Scottish domicile targets", so does that mean Aberdeen are using their own targets, and if so, are they published anywhere? Thanks
Original post by GANFYD
That is interesting, as the Scottish Funding Council Intake Targets for medicine states "Once again, in AY 2023-24 there will be no specific Scottish domicile targets", so does that mean Aberdeen are using their own targets, and if so, are they published anywhere? Thanks

We always aim to be as transparent as possible, and the intake numbers we are working towards are published on our website as soon as they are agreed with the SFC. For 2024 entry, at the moment, we will be working towards the same numbers as this year whilst we await SFC confirmation. Hope this makes things a bit more clear!

- Matthew, Enquiry Team
Reply 12
We always aim to be as transparent as possible, and the intake numbers we are working towards are published on our website as soon as they are agreed with the SFC. For 2024 entry, at the moment, we will be working towards the same numbers as this year whilst we await SFC confirmation. Hope this makes things a bit more clear!

- Matthew, Enquiry Team

Last year, the SFC had no quota for Scottish (and hence RUK) applicants, but it looks like you are saying Aberdeen had imposed one? So from what you are saying, they are doing the same this year, can you confirm? Thanks
https://www.sfc.ac.uk/publications-statistics/announcements/2023/SFCAN102023.aspx

Small numbers of available places can mean big swings in cut offs, given it takes very few people to skew the stats
Original post by GANFYD
Last year, the SFC had no quota for Scottish (and hence RUK) applicants, but it looks like you are saying Aberdeen had imposed one? So from what you are saying, they are doing the same this year, can you confirm? Thanks
https://www.sfc.ac.uk/publications-statistics/announcements/2023/SFCAN102023.aspx

Small numbers of available places can mean big swings in cut offs, given it takes very few people to skew the stats

As we've put in our previous comment, our numbers were agreed with SFC. There are no specific targets published in the document you refer to but you are quoting one sentence, and numbers will be published in time. We would recommend getting in touch with SFC if you have questions regarding their publications. We cannot confirm the numbers at this time but we will be working towards the above numbers until we hear otherwise.

- Matthew, Enquiry Team
Reply 14
As we've put in our previous comment, our numbers were agreed with SFC. There are no specific targets published in the document you refer to but you are quoting one sentence, and numbers will be published in time. We would recommend getting in touch with SFC if you have questions regarding their publications. We cannot confirm the numbers at this time but we will be working towards the above numbers until we hear otherwise.

- Matthew, Enquiry Team

So the SFC are openly publishing one thing - a whole section on the Scottish-domiciled policy in the document I linked - and have back room agreements with the universities that differ from this? Interesting 🤨
Scottish home applicant
N5: AABBCC (N5 req’s met)
Higher: AAAAA + (AA s6 predicted)
AH: AA predicted
UCAT: 3050 b2

Application being sent off on Friday 6th, will update with outcome
Dear Admission team, I found IB requirements below from the web site. I am an international student and studying
1) Chem HL
2) Bio HL
3) Econ HL
4) Math SL
5) Eng SL
6) Chinese SL

Am I meet the "IB must offer Chemistry plus one further science at HL and one further science at SL" requirement? Thanks.

Typical IB Offer
36 points overall (including core), with 3 appropriate subjects at HL each to achieve grade 6 and 3 appropriate subjects at SL (see below) with an average of 6.
To be considered:

Achieve /be predicted to achieve 3 subjects at Higher Level (HL) at Grade 6 or better:

Chemistry is required
One of Maths/ Biology/Physics
One other subject
plus 3 other subjects (including one science if 3 not offered at HL) at Standard Level at an average of Grade 6.

IB must offer Chemistry plus one further science at HL and one further science at SL
We will accept SL and HL grades for both the ‘Analysis and approaches’ and ‘applications and interpretation’ pathways to meet our entry requirements.
Maths studies is not considered a science.
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by Shirley Wong
Dear Admission team, I found IB requirements below from the web site. I am an international student and studying
1) Chem HL
2) Bio HL
3) Econ HL
4) Math SL
5) Eng SL
6) Chinese SL

Am I meet the "IB must offer Chemistry plus one further science at HL and one further science at SL" requirement? Thanks.

Typical IB Offer
36 points overall (including core), with 3 appropriate subjects at HL each to achieve grade 6 and 3 appropriate subjects at SL (see below) with an average of 6.
To be considered:

Achieve /be predicted to achieve 3 subjects at Higher Level (HL) at Grade 6 or better:

Chemistry is required
One of Maths/ Biology/Physics
One other subject
plus 3 other subjects (including one science if 3 not offered at HL) at Standard Level at an average of Grade 6.

IB must offer Chemistry plus one further science at HL and one further science at SL
We will accept SL and HL grades for both the ‘Analysis and approaches’ and ‘applications and interpretation’ pathways to meet our entry requirements.
Maths studies is not considered a science.

Hello, thanks for posting your question! I see your confusion on whether this fulfils the science requirements and unfortunately I won’t be able to get you an absolute answer here. The best thing to do to get an answer on if you fulfil certain entry requirements would be to get in contact with our medical admissions team directly, and you get do this by emailing [email protected] with your question. Please note that they won’t be able to confirm if we would accept you as they would need to review an application for this, but they will be able to advise of these subjects fulfil the IB requirements we’re looking for or not. All the best with making your applications!

- Matthew, Enquiry Team
Hello, thanks for posting your question! I see your confusion on whether this fulfils the science requirements and unfortunately I won’t be able to get you an absolute answer here. The best thing to do to get an answer on if you fulfil certain entry requirements would be to get in contact with our medical admissions team directly, and you get do this by emailing [email protected] with your question. Please note that they won’t be able to confirm if we would accept you as they would need to review an application for this, but they will be able to advise of these subjects fulfil the IB requirements we’re looking for or not. All the best with making your applications!

- Matthew, Enquiry Team

Thank you for your reply. I will send email to clarify.
The Dec 18 in person interview date seems to be conflicting with the Canadian mid term exam. Is there any virtual interview option for international students? Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending