The Student Room Group
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen

University of Aberdeen Applicants and Offer Holders for 2015 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ema97
Hey! Im from kent and planning to do maths at aberdeen

looking forward to the weather change? ahah

It's a tad Dreich up here. But so long as you have a waterproof jacket you will be fine. :smile:

(Driech is the local dialect for wet and windy. Not everyone speaks Doric, up here which I find to be a bit of a shame. So there shouldn't be much of a language problem bar our accents. Ha )
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen
It's those days when you see blue skies and sun that trick you into thinking it's lovely and warm but it's absolutely baltic in the wind. Unless it's mid summer you can get quite a tan! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ffrattini
Hey :smile: Which year are you in? Sorry if I'm bothering you but I'd love if you could give me some info about Aberdeen uni. What course did you apply for? Did you have the chance to follow unrelated course to yours during your first 2 years? Did you find it useful? Thank you very much!

Hey sorry, I've not been online because I've had 4 exams in the last 4 days, so sorry for the delay.
I just finished second year of accountancy and finance yesterday (wooooohooooo!). I had a few open credits to choose whatever I wanted in both first and second year, but I chose courses that would help with my degree (management, economics, law). Other people in my year chose languages, history, computing etc, so there is a pretty huge list of options. It was great being able to take other classes, but some of my peers found that the ones that fit into their timetable were the ones they didn't want to do, so they ended up doing classes they didn't like. It's all dependent on your interests and timetable :smile:.
Original post by lembas
Thank you, that will make me feel less lonely :biggrin: did you like Economics courses?

I loved economics! The economics staff are great and the guy who teaches the first semester economics class really gets you interested in it, he's one of my favourite lecturers ever! Some of my peers weren't so keen on economics because they found it boring and/or difficult, but I found it really interesting.
Original post by GoingToBurst
Hey sorry, I've not been online because I've had 4 exams in the last 4 days, so sorry for the delay.
I just finished second year of accountancy and finance yesterday (wooooohooooo!). I had a few open credits to choose whatever I wanted in both first and second year, but I chose courses that would help with my degree (management, economics, law). Other people in my year chose languages, history, computing etc, so there is a pretty huge list of options. It was great being able to take other classes, but some of my peers found that the ones that fit into their timetable were the ones they didn't want to do, so they ended up doing classes they didn't like. It's all dependent on your interests and timetable :smile:.

I loved economics! The economics staff are great and the guy who teaches the first semester economics class really gets you interested in it, he's one of my favourite lecturers ever! Some of my peers weren't so keen on economics because they found it boring and/or difficult, but I found it really interesting.

How early does the year usually end in Aberdeen? Is it the same for all students or does it depend on your course?
Original post by Emilia9
How early does the year usually end in Aberdeen? Is it the same for all students or does it depend on your course?

The term officially finishes in a couple of weeks I think, but I was unlucky enough to have my 4 final exams 4 days in a row and all in the first week, so at least I get an extra couple of weeks of summer haha! Some people have exams right up until the 22nd of May I think. Somewhere around that date anyway! Summer is always ridiculously long anyway though. My summer will be 17 weeks long, most placements are no longer than 12 weeks, so even with a full time placement and a 2 week holiday, I'll still have loads of free time to do nothing.
The term officially finishes in a couple of weeks I think, but I was unlucky enough to have my 4 final exams 4 days in a row and all in the first week, so at least I get an extra couple of weeks of summer haha! Some people have exams right up until the 22nd of May I think. Somewhere around that date anyway! Summer is always ridiculously long anyway though. My summer will be 17 weeks long, most placements are no longer than 12 weeks, so even with a full time placement and a 2 week holiday, I'll still have loads of free time to do nothing.

Okay, now I wanna go to Aberdeen even more :biggrin:
Original post by Emilia9
Okay, now I wanna go to Aberdeen even more :biggrin:

It's pretty great hahaha. I love it!
It's pretty great hahaha. I love it!

That's great to hear! Hopefully I'll be able to join the party in September :smile:
Reply 588
Original post by lembas
I think I'm gonna firm my offer for economics and IR, is there anyone else? :smile:
Btw, are there other EU students?

I got an offer for psychology and sociology, and I'm from Hungary, so I am an EU student.
where are you from?
Reply 589
Original post by AgentS.S
I've got an offer for Neuroscience with Psychology & I'm from London, so kind of a big move for me.

Anyone else?

Hey! I'm doing psychology and sociology, and I'm from Budapest, Hungary, so quite a big move too :wink:

Thank you, I hope your exams went well. I have another question: when you follow other subjects apart from your main subject, do you follow the whole course and do all the exams the course requires, or can you just choose what exams to sit for of that course? I hope I made myself clear ahah. Lastly, after the first 2 years, can you change your main subjects if you have developed a different interest? Thank you very much :smile:
Thank you, I hope your exams went well. I have another question: when you follow other subjects apart from your main subject, do you follow the whole course and do all the exams the course requires, or can you just choose what exams to sit for of that course? I hope I made myself clear ahah. Lastly, after the first 2 years, can you change your main subjects if you have developed a different interest? Thank you very much :smile:

Thank you! I feel like they went really well so I'm just hoping my results reflect that haha!
Erm I'm not sure I've understood you entirely, but if you choose other classes to do alongside your course, you have to complete all assessment elements to be awarded the credits for that class. With MA degrees, you can generally change pretty easily after the first year or halfway through the second year. It becomes more difficult to change at the end of second year because you need to have done all of the prerequisite courses for your honours courses, so if you haven't done those, then it becomes a problem. If you think your interests may change and you know what they would be likely to change to, then it's always a good idea to do the prereqs for those classes too. All of that information is available, but if you want some help with it then give me a shout and I'll happily look it up for you :smile:.
Thank you! I feel like they went really well so I'm just hoping my results reflect that haha!
Erm I'm not sure I've understood you entirely, but if you choose other classes to do alongside your course, you have to complete all assessment elements to be awarded the credits for that class. With MA degrees, you can generally change pretty easily after the first year or halfway through the second year. It becomes more difficult to change at the end of second year because you need to have done all of the prerequisite courses for your honours courses, so if you haven't done those, then it becomes a problem. If you think your interests may change and you know what they would be likely to change to, then it's always a good idea to do the prereqs for those classes too. All of that information is available, but if you want some help with it then give me a shout and I'll happily look it up for you :smile:.

Thank you, you were so nice. Where is this information available? I could check myself so that I don't bother you more than I already did ahah :smile:
Thank you, you were so nice. Where is this information available? I could check myself so that I don't bother you more than I already did ahah :smile:

Aw you're not bothering me at all, honestly :smile:. I was so happy to be done with uni for summer on Friday but I already miss it hahaha.

You can find your course calendar here (click on the relevant link at the left side and then you'll find your degree somewhere in the list).
https://www.abdn.ac.uk/registry/calendar/
This will tell you your compulsory classes for your course and how many other credits you need to fill up with other classes.

You can find details of all of the classes here.
https://www.abdn.ac.uk/registry/courses/undergraduate
Some staff have provided more detail than other, so some of them are a bit vague, some are really well described. You can have a look at what all of your classes will entail and which extra ones you might be interested in doing.

If you have any questions, just fire them at me :smile:. You probably don't have your student log in details yet, right? If not, I can easily download some past papers and reading lists for you if you want to have a look just to get an idea :smile:.
(edited 8 years ago)
Aw you're not bothering me at all, honestly :smile:. I was so happy to be done with uni for summer on Friday but I already miss it hahaha.

You can find your course calendar here (click on the relevant link at the left side and then you'll find your degree somewhere in the list).
https://www.abdn.ac.uk/registry/calendar/
This will tell you your compulsory classes for your course and how many other credits you need to fill up with other classes.

You can find details of all of the classes here.
https://www.abdn.ac.uk/registry/courses/undergraduate
Some staff have provided more detail than other, so some of them are a bit vague, some are really well described. You can have a look at what all of your classes will entail and which extra ones you might be interested in doing.

If you have any questions, just fire them at me :smile:. You probably don't have your student log in details yet, right? If not, I can easily download some past papers and reading lists for you if you want to have a look just to get an idea :smile:.

I'd really appreciate if you could do that, since I don't have my student log in details, you're right. Anyway the first link you sent resulted in a page not found :/ thank you again! Where are you from?
I'd really appreciate if you could do that, since I don't have my student log in details, you're right. Anyway the first link you sent resulted in a page not found :/ thank you again! Where are you from?

Yeah I can do that for you :smile:, any classes in particular you want me to get stuff for?

Ahh sorry, the link seems to have added another word onto it when it loads, this should work.
http://www.abdn.ac.uk/registry/calendar

I'm actually from Aberdeen originally :smile:, I'm a local haha. Where are you from?
Yeah I can do that for you :smile:, any classes in particular you want me to get stuff for?

Ahh sorry, the link seems to have added another word onto it when it loads, this should work.
http://www.abdn.ac.uk/registry/calendar

I'm actually from Aberdeen originally :smile:, I'm a local haha. Where are you from?

This link worked thank you :smile: I'm from Italy! Wow, so what do you think about living in Aberdeen? Is it difficult to find a reasonably cheap flat? Anyway the degree for which I applied for is European Studies, but I'd be interested in taking classes of International Relations and Management. Thank you again, I don't know how to tell you how thankful I am!
This link worked thank you :smile: I'm from Italy! Wow, so what do you think about living in Aberdeen? Is it difficult to find a reasonably cheap flat? Anyway the degree for which I applied for is European Studies, but I'd be interested in taking classes of International Relations and Management. Thank you again, I don't know how to tell you how thankful I am!

I love living in Aberdeen, it is an ideal place to live for what I want in my life, so I love it haha. Property in Aberdeen isn't known for being the cheapest though, I'd recommend halls in first year and then find a flat with some friends in second year :smile:.
Oh that's convenient, I did management in both semesters of first year, so I know quite a bit about those classes. I'm not sure how to add the files to the posts here for you to download, but if you feel comfortable sending me your email address I could send them that way? You're more than welcome to have my management textbooks when you get here too, if you need them! I don't have any use for them anymore so someone might as well use them haha.
I love living in Aberdeen, it is an ideal place to live for what I want in my life, so I love it haha. Property in Aberdeen isn't known for being the cheapest though, I'd recommend halls in first year and then find a flat with some friends in second year :smile:.
Oh that's convenient, I did management in both semesters of first year, so I know quite a bit about those classes. I'm not sure how to add the files to the posts here for you to download, but if you feel comfortable sending me your email address I could send them that way? You're more than welcome to have my management textbooks when you get here too, if you need them! I don't have any use for them anymore so someone might as well use them haha.

Of course I don't mind: my email address is [email protected]. Anyway thanks for everything, you're the nicest person I've ever met!!! :smile:
Of course I don't mind: my email address is [email protected]. Anyway thanks for everything, you're the nicest person I've ever met!!! :smile:

Aw you're so sweet :smile:, I've just fired an email off to you, so check your junk box if it isn't in your inbox :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending