The Student Room Group

Is working out marked from the mark scheme?

Hi,

I was doing some past papers the other day. I was wondering whether I would I be given marks for working out if I hadn't done it the way it shows in the mark scheme.

I used herons formula rather than the traditional way of working out the area of a triangle when all sides are given. I got the correct answer and all but would I be given the 3 marks for working out?
Reply 1
Original post by rubarbman12
Hi,

I was doing some past papers the other day. I was wondering whether I would I be given marks for working out if I hadn't done it the way it shows in the mark scheme.

I used herons formula rather than the traditional way of working out the area of a triangle when all sides are given. I got the correct answer and all but would I be given the 3 marks for working out?

If you were asking the same question 20 or 30 years ago I would have told you it doeas not matter since papers were marked by "mathematicians" and hence if you look at marking schemes of yesterdays they are very bare.

I know personally 2 people which mark A Level papers and I can assure you one of them is no better than a good A* exam standard student. This is why marking schemes are nowdays so comprehensive . I suspect most markers do not know or they "are not allowed to", so I would not use obscure methods, show off methods or cultural methods for solutions.

Say Heron's formula.
A marker, particularly if your answer is wrong, might give no credit if (s)he is not aware of the method. (I doubt if the method would be in the marking scheme)

Quick Reply

Latest