The Student Room Group

Question about marking maths + further maths papers

A lot of the time my methods, although correct and have sufficient working, is not the same one as the one in the mark scheme. Do you need to specifically do the method outlined in the mark scheme, or if you can find the answer, and it is correct and clear, do you still gets marks?
Original post by MathsEnjoyer
A lot of the time my methods, although correct and have sufficient working, is not the same one as the one in the mark scheme. Do you need to specifically do the method outlined in the mark scheme, or if you can find the answer, and it is correct and clear, do you still gets marks?

Take a look at the front few pages of the mark scheme for whichever exam board you're using. It'll probably have instructions similar to these (from AQA) which are targeted at the examiner using the mark scheme (my emphasis):

"The mark scheme for each question shows:
the marks available for each part of the question
the total marks available for the question
marking instructions that indicate when marks should be awarded or withheld including the principle on which each mark is awarded. Information is included to help the examiner make his or her judgement and to delineate what is creditworthy from that not worthy of credit
a typical solution. This response is one we expect to see frequently. However credit must be given on the basis of the marking instructions.

If a student uses a method which is not explicitly covered by the marking instructions the same principles of marking should be applied. Credit should be given to any valid methods. Examiners should seek advice from their senior examiner if in any doubt."

Quick Reply

Latest