The Student Room Group

Diversity of American beliefs

Hello All,

I am new to the group...so I hope you will all excuse me if this is old news. But I've been reading many of the political postings (always interesting for a Yank like myself to get an oversees perspective) and I'd like to offer a suggestion.

There's a lot more going on in American political thought than most of you probably hear about. This is not a knock on you all...but on our Media here. They are just horribly two-sided. You are either THIS side or you are THAT side. It is simply a charicterature to believe that's the only way we think over here...but how would anyone (especially non-Americans) know this?

Thank God for the new technology. Things like podcasting and online media are starting to flesh things out a bit (a long way still to go though...).

There ARE a lot of different thoughts brewing in the States and you can see this in the non-traditional media. I can think of two podcasts that deal with politics that I would suggest if you want to hear stuff that a lot of Americans think, but that receive NO play in the mainstream media.

Try “Common Sense with Dan Carlin” (www.dancarlin.com or iTunes of course)
or “Free Talk Live” (www.freetalklive.com or iTunes of course).

Those two are my favorites, since they come at things from the same political angle I do...but there are hordes of others from all kinds of viewpoints available.

Now, I know all you guys understand the revolution taking place in Media and such...but if you want to see modern American political thought NOT filtered through the traditional media’s lens (which is all about knee-jerk conflict for ratings...) please go to some of the online offerings.

And let me sum up by saying that most of my countrymen wish we were not so estranged from you all over politics and world affairs right now. We just don’t have much power to do anything currently to change the situation.

-LK
Well the Republicans and Democrats ARE your two biggest parties. It's therefore not surprising that people only concentrate on those parties.

And this isn't totally the fault of the media. The two party system exists because of the Republicans and Democrats! They pass ballot access and campaign finance laws due to this.
Two parties doesn't equal two branches of political thought!

Latest

Trending

Trending