The Student Room Group

Im American- will I fit in at a UK university?

Im American but im considering university in the uk because I love to travel and honestly I hated high school and want a new experience for college. However I know lots of people tend to stereotype Americans pretty negatively and I’m wondering if that would affect me making friends in the Uk. I also have never been drunk before because im not legal in the US and my high school friend group wasn’t big into parties. Would I be judged for being inexperienced with parties and drinking?
Reply 1
It depends on the type of people you talk to but you should be fine. If the uni you go to is diverse enough no one really cares where you're from and being inexperienced in drinking or partying is fine since loads of people don't do either of those until they go to university for the first time.
Original post by Anonymous #1
Im American but im considering university in the uk because I love to travel and honestly I hated high school and want a new experience for college. However I know lots of people tend to stereotype Americans pretty negatively and I’m wondering if that would affect me making friends in the Uk. I also have never been drunk before because im not legal in the US and my high school friend group wasn’t big into parties. Would I be judged for being inexperienced with parties and drinking?
Hi!

UK universities tend to have plenty of international students so I honestly don’t think you’d have any issues making friends! Plus, not everyone drinks or drinks heavily, so you wouldn’t be judged for being inexperienced, as most people starting university are only just starting to get into partying and drinking because they’ve only just come to the legal age.

I hope this helps!

Estelle
Third Year Psychology
University of Huddersfield
Good Morning,

UK universities do tend to have a large number of International Students so it shouldn't affect you making friends. With a range of societies, especially at City, University of London, you will be able to attend a range of events with different people and see where you fit in the best.

People come to university from all walks of life at University so you definitely won't be judged for not drinking previously.

I hope you enjoy your time in the UK!

Warm Regards,
Iris - third year Politics student at City, University of London
Hi there,

It's great that you're considering studying in the UK.

I wouldn't worry too much, as most universities have a large international student population. They are accepted well, and often start their own societies so they can spend time with people from their country too! It is also highly unlikely you'll be judged for not partying and drinking - lots of people don't do this.

The most important thing is that you go into your experience willing to make friends and open to trying new things. Studying in a different country is a fantastic opportunity, and the UK is a great place to do it!

I hope this helps and best of luck,

Isabella
Third-year Geography with a Year Abroad Student
Reply 5
we have americans in the uk people make fun of american accents but the funny thin every1 has an accent so every1 makes fun of each other.
im italian moved 2 uk at 7
and somehow i speak with 5 different accents for no random reason
about drinking no 1 care but they dont want u wanderin roun drunk
u can make friends easily
as uk is a diverse country
for example birmingham
maybe london
How's racism like over there? Have y'all (international students) ever experienced it?
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous #2
How's racism like over there? Have y'all (international students) ever experienced it?
u mean uk??
Original post by JF ZAK
u mean uk??

Yessir
no one will hate you for being American. most of the negative sentiment was like 20 years ago and even then it wasn't serious.

the main issue for you is the American breadth vs the British depth of education. i wouldn't recommend going to England for this reason, but Scotland is more of a half-way house. Americans are to be expected to be quite sheltered and less mature, no one will care.
(edited 1 month ago)
Hi there

Deciding to go to university abroad can be quite stressful, but I wouldn't say to worry about it too much. UK universities tend to have a lot of international students, I am sure you will be able to find your bunch of friends. As a BAME student, I was initially worried about standing out at university as well, however, my three years at university so far have been really positive. :smile:

It is perfectly normal not to have drank before. You shouldn't have to feel pressured into drinking if you're not comfortable with it, most people will not judge you for being inexperience with parties and drinking. University has a really diverse range of students, that come from really diverse backgrounds, so if you find that drinking and parties are not your thing, there are always other ways to make friends (such as through classes, society events etc.).

I hope this helps
Chloe
University of Kent student Rep
Reply 11
Original post by Anonymous #2
Yessir
i have but im black
and ill alwayz reply
and i guess people will alwayz r racist
just dont let them think it a joke or they will do it all the time?
come tirin 😩🍿😜😴🥱🥱🥱

Hi there,

I think it is brilliant that you want to come to the UK for uni! I am sure whichever uni you apply to will be thrilled to have you!
As far as being inexperienced with drinking and partying that definitely won't make anyone judge you. There are plenty of people who go to uni who don't drink for loads of different reasons. Including, religious reasons, health reasons and other personal factors. You definitely wouldn't be the only one who hadn't been drunk before.
There are loads of people who also may not have been to lots of clubs and parties, they may have lived rurally etc.
So definitely don't let that put you off coming to the UK!

I hope this helps,

Ellen
Y4 Medical Student
Uni of Sunderland

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending