The Student Room Group

Circular Motion + Energy Question?

A 0.160 kg ball attached to a light cord is swung in a vertical circle of radius 70.0 cm. At the top of the swing, the speed of the ball is 3.26 m/s. The centre of the circle is 1.50 m above the floor.

(a) What is the speed of the ball when the cord is 30.0º below the horizontal?

(b) What is the magnitude of the tension in the cord when the cord is 30.0º below the horizontal?

If you guys could help me answer these questions I’d be very grateful.
Original post by velocitous
A 0.160 kg ball attached to a light cord is swung in a vertical circle of radius 70.0 cm. At the top of the swing, the speed of the ball is 3.26 m/s. The centre of the circle is 1.50 m above the floor.

(a) What is the speed of the ball when the cord is 30.0º below the horizontal?

(b) What is the magnitude of the tension in the cord when the cord is 30.0º below the horizontal?

If you guys could help me answer these questions I’d be very grateful.

Welcome to TSR physics.
In order to help you do this you need to tell us what help you need.
How far have you got with this, what don't you understand, and where are you stuck.

What equations or principles do you think might apply here?
Reply 2
Original post by Stonebridge
Welcome to TSR physics.
In order to help you do this you need to tell us what help you need.
How far have you got with this, what don't you understand, and where are you stuck.

What equations or principles do you think might apply here?

Centripetal force, tension, weight… also kinetic energy, mechanical energy, potential energy? That’s the unit that this question is from.
Because it is a vertical circle, gravity is involved in doing work on the system. So what can you say about the energy transfers as the object rotates from the top of the circle to an angular displacement of 30 degrees below the horizontal?

Quick Reply

Latest