The Student Room Group

The Web Development Society

Hello everyone,

Please come and join The Web Development Society.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/group.php?groupid=2873

The society is a place for web designers and developers to talk about projects, learning and languages such as HTML, CSS, JavaScript and PHP.

Feel free to ask questions, learn from others, get involved and showcase your amazing work to others for inspiration.

Got a WordPress blog that you've set up and edited the theme files to make it your own? Show that off as well and get involved.

We look forward to seeing people join.

#Pseudocode
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Started learning HTML(XHTML)/CSS last week, really enjoying it and finding it very rewarding. I will move on to JavaScript, HTML5 and CS3 in the future when I am confident enough to move on

I have two books on HTML/CSS/JavaScript and use them in combination with YouTube tutorials to learn

edit: Also what do you think of Bootstrap? It looks powerful but I feel like it's almost 'cheating' as a lot of the code is done for you
Reply 2
Original post by Dylann
Also what do you think of Bootstrap? It looks powerful but I feel like it's almost 'cheating' as a lot of the code is done for you

One of the most important things to know as a developer is how and when to "cheat" (you wouldn't create a new programming language from scratch for every project, would you?) - there's no point reinventing the wheel but you need to know that what you're using is capable of supporting all of your requirements. The same is true of Bootstrap - it's great but it's limited and extending it gets very messy beyond a point.
Reply 3
Original post by Planto
One of the most important things to know as a developer is how and when to "cheat" (you wouldn't create a new programming language from scratch for every project, would you?) - there's no point reinventing the wheel but you need to know that what you're using is capable of supporting all of your requirements. The same is true of Bootstrap - it's great but it's limited and extending it gets very messy beyond a point.

Good point. When do you think I should start with bootstrap? I have learned HTML and a lot of CSS, right now I'm just practising CSS to make sure I'm comfortable. Should I learn javascript first?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Planto
The same is true of Bootstrap - it's great but it's limited and extending it gets very messy beyond a point.

I have produced quite a wide range of web based applications for work and bootstrap serves as the main style base for that. It comes in handy when producing mockups and your main focus is on the functionality of the site as opposed to the style. I am very good with the technical stuff but not very creative and so bootstrap has served me well in the past.

Should I learn javascript first?

JavaScript is something that is definitely worth knowing. Most web designers have skills in HTML, CSS and JavaScript (and then most have knowledge of JQuery). Most web developers have knowledge on HTML, JavaScript, a server-side programming language such as PHP, Databases (such as MySQL) and most have knowledge on a particular framework - mostly MVC frameworks such as Ruby on Rails, Django, CakePHP, etc.

If you want to learn JavaScript then Codecademy and Youtube will serve you well:
http://www.codecademy.com/tracks/javascript
Original post by Planto

I understand this is a fairly-old post, but what would you say that point is?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending