The Student Room Group

Best Programming Language to learn?

Hey, does anyone have any tips or advice for someone wanting to learn a new Programming language?

I'm kind of stuck as to what to start learning for maximum employment prospects & earning potential?
Original post by Zakks
Hey, does anyone have any tips or advice for someone wanting to learn a new Programming language?

I'm kind of stuck as to what to start learning for maximum employment prospects & earning potential?

I would start with python if I were you, it’s very easy to start coding in and once your comfortable with that maybe move on to some other language like Java.

If you are completely new to coding there isn’t much point worrying about how good the programming language your learning is for job prospects, you should just learn the basic concepts of programming first.

Once you’ve got the basics, then maybe start learning what language will be most relevant to whatever career you want. And that depends on what sort of job you would like to do, whether that be web development, machine learning, systems software etc
Reply 2
Perfect thanks!

I think Python is the one, i'd like to go into AI / machine learning so I think that's the best one?
Original post by Zakks

I'd say Python as it's pretty in-demand right now (or so I've heard). Java is also a good starting point; I believe Java is the precursor of Python anyway, so knowing Java makes it easier to learn. Or maybe that's just my personal experience :shrug:
Reply 4
Python it is!
I'm enjoying learning Python atm, go for what you enjoy.
If you want to go for the maximum earning potential then I would say C++. This is used in high frequency trading(HFT), many of these jobs are paying £200k-£400k with some salaries getting close to a million pounds per annum. I mean this type of money puts bankers to shame. However, people working in HFT generally come from elite universities like MIT, Harvard, Oxbridge and may even have a PhD in a computer science related subject.

Having said that the highest number of software engineering jobs exist for web development. In that case you would need to learn Javascript/HTML/CSS. Many web dev jobs are fully remote and pay quite well.
(edited 4 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending