The Student Room Group

Student Finance for the Second Degree

Hi Student Finance,

I have a BA Honours in English (I received Student Finance during my studies as having Settled Status) and this year I will be applying for a BSc in Computer Science (not sure yet whether it's going to be Full-Time or Part-Time)

The question is: will I be eligible for Tuition Fee Loan and Maintenance Loan?

Scroll to see replies

If it’s full time - no
If it’s full time or part time distance learning - fees only
If it’s part time - yes
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by Roy_mehl
Hi Student Finance,

I have a BA Honours in English (I received Student Finance during my studies as having Settled Status) and this year I will be applying for a BSc in Computer Science (not sure yet whether it's going to be Full-Time or Part-Time)

The question is: will I be eligible for Tuition Fee Loan and Maintenance Loan?

Hi Roy,

Was the BA Honours English course a Full Time or Part Time level? Thanks, Ross
Reply 3
Original post by Ross SLC
Hi Roy,

Was the BA Honours English course a Full Time or Part Time level? Thanks, Ross

Hi Ross,

Initially, it was Full Time and then I transferred to Part Time during the last 2 years
Hi Roy_mehl,

Is the computer science course you are looking to do full time or part time?

Thanks,
Calum
Reply 5
Original post by Calum SLC
Hi Roy_mehl,

Is the computer science course you are looking to do full time or part time?

Thanks,
Calum

Hi Calum,

most likely I'll do part time, although full time also an option
Hi Calum,

most likely I'll do part time, although full time also an option

Hi Roy,

Can you confirm the full name of the course, what university you will attend and the duration of the course? If it is a part time course do you know if it is a distance learning course?

Thanks, Drew
Reply 7
Original post by Drew SLC
Hi Roy,

Can you confirm the full name of the course, what university you will attend and the duration of the course? If it is a part time course do you know if it is a distance learning course?

Thanks, Drew

Hi Drew,

it's not a distance learning course. Software Engineering at University of Roehampton, 4 years
Hi Drew,

it's not a distance learning course. Software Engineering at University of Roehampton, 4 years

Hi Roy,

I have looked up your course details and can see the course would be a Full-Time course. As you already hold an undergraduate degree then you would not be eligible for the Maintenance Loan or the Tuition Fee Loan. You would only be eligible to apply for Supplementary Grants or DSA if applicable to you.

Thanks, Drew
Reply 9
Hi Roy,

I have looked up your course details and can see the course would be a Full-Time course. As you already hold an undergraduate degree then you would not be eligible for the Maintenance Loan or the Tuition Fee Loan. You would only be eligible to apply for Supplementary Grants or DSA if applicable to you.

Thanks, Drew

Would taking it part time make any difference? I have just looked it up again and it does offer part time

https://digital.ucas.com/coursedisplay/courses/e7311049-37e0-4607-9a40-90d671b8fcea?academicYearId=2024&courseOptionId=37b6c1ee-9534-4496-b348-cfa3cdbf9dfe#course-summary

Hi Roy,

I am not able to click on that link. Is the course named differently? As when I check the database we hold with the university all the Software Engineering courses are Full-Time courses.

Thanks, Drew
Reply 11
Hi Roy,

I am not able to click on that link. Is the course named differently? As when I check the database we hold with the university all the Software Engineering courses are Full-Time courses.

Thanks, Drew

Hi Drew,

The name of the course should be the same. I am also thinking of applying to Data Science and Computing at the University of Birbeck (Part Time)
https://www.bbk.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/data-science-and-computing

They have their details regarding the part time course on the page
Hi Drew,

The name of the course should be the same. I am also thinking of applying to Data Science and Computing at the University of Birbeck (Part Time)
https://www.bbk.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/data-science-and-computing

They have their details regarding the part time course on the page

Thank you. The Birkbeck college course is listed as an exception when studied part time. Thanks, Jason
Reply 13
Original post by SFE Jason
Thank you. The Birkbeck college course is listed as an exception when studied part time. Thanks, Jason

I am just copy-pasting my original post :

"Hi Student Finance,

The question is: will I be eligible for Tuition Fee Loan and Maintenance Loan?"
(edited 2 months ago)
Hi there. Do you have any further questions to Jason's response above? Thanks, Leah.
Reply 15
Original post by Leah SLC
Hi there. Do you have any further questions to Jason's response above? Thanks, Leah.

lol I've got the feeling I'm talking to ChatGPT here. Copy-pasting my original post again:

"Hi Student Finance,

lol I've got the feeling I'm talking to ChatGPT here. Copy-pasting my original post again:

"Hi Student Finance,

Hi Roy,

Yes, if you study the course part-time you'll be entitled to a Tuition Fee Loan for the duration.

Also, so long as the course isn't distance learning you'll be entitled to the Maintenance Loan too.

Thanks, Graeme
(Ie the response in post#2 given 3 days ago was accurate)
Reply 18
Original post by Graeme SFE
Hi Roy,

Yes, if you study the course part-time you'll be entitled to a Tuition Fee Loan for the duration.

Also, so long as the course isn't distance learning you'll be entitled to the Maintenance Loan too.

Thanks, Graeme

Hi Graeme,

thanks for the reply.

Will I be entitled to the full Maintenance Loan?

Also, does the course name have to be "Computer Science", or it can also be "Software Development and Big Data" or "Web Development"?
Hi Graeme,

thanks for the reply.

Will I be entitled to the full Maintenance Loan?

Also, does the course name have to be "Computer Science", or it can also be "Software Development and Big Data" or "Web Development"?

Hi Roy,

It needs to be an exception course for the fees. If you're looking at doing a different subject than the one you've advised previously then we can check this for you if you advise the name of the course you wish to do. Your eligibility is dependant on whether this counts as an exception course. If you're physically attending the university then you'd also be assessed for the maintenance loan. Thanks, Jason

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending