The Student Room Group

Is it over for me at 34 with opportunities, to get into?

I'm 34 and just been working normal jobs for the last four years.

In 2019 I applied for web developer jobs and got a few phone interviews. I was self taught.

I could've back then go into web developer

Software development would've been harder to get into, however I did notice the website udacity, treehouse had some java, python courses.

It support-i would've had to take certification.

I noticed the princes trust did have back then Amazon web services get into programme.

At 34, I doubt there will be apprenticeships available and the princes trust only help until 30. I do wish there was some kind of adult scheme.

Maybe I can do those courses at udacity and see if I can get into a web development, software development role

At 34, is it over? Although a few years ago a lot of pathways were open
Original post by Anonymous
I'm 34 and just been working normal jobs for the last four years.

In 2019 I applied for web developer jobs and got a few phone interviews. I was self taught.

I could've back then go into web developer

Software development would've been harder to get into, however I did notice the website udacity, treehouse had some java, python courses.

It support-i would've had to take certification.

I noticed the princes trust did have back then Amazon web services get into programme.

At 34, I doubt there will be apprenticeships available and the princes trust only help until 30. I do wish there was some kind of adult scheme.

Maybe I can do those courses at udacity and see if I can get into a web development, software development role

At 34, is it over? Although a few years ago a lot of pathways were open

It's not over, no. You said yourself that "In 2019 I applied for web developer jobs and got a few phone interviews" and "I could've back then go into web developer". Why didn't you?

You might need to brush up on your self-taught skills (given that it was four years ago now), but there's no reason you can get phone interviews again and actually turn them into a job this time. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
It's not over, no. You said yourself that "In 2019 I applied for web developer jobs and got a few phone interviews" and "I could've back then go into web developer". Why didn't you?

You might need to brush up on your self-taught skills (given that it was four years ago now), but there's no reason you can get phone interviews again and actually turn them into a job this time. :smile:

Thank you.

I felt the coding may have been difficult and it could've taken time to get an actual job (two-three months).

I do need to brush up on these skills yes.
Thank you.

I felt the coding may have been difficult and it could've taken time to get an actual job (two-three months).

I do need to brush up on these skills yes.

Two or three months sounds like a reasonable estimate to me, in terms of getting CVs sent off, securing a telephone interview, and then perhaps a face-to-face interview, and then getting the background checks and the onboarding process out if the way.

You can obviously do all that alongside "working normal jobs" (to use your phrase).

I say go for it. Get your skills up-to-date (especially the coding aspect if that's what concerns you), and then get those CVs sent off. :smile:
Reply 4
Two or three months sounds like a reasonable estimate to me, in terms of getting CVs sent off, securing a telephone interview, and then perhaps a face-to-face interview, and then getting the background checks and the onboarding process out if the way.

You can obviously do all that alongside "working normal jobs" (to use your phrase).

I say go for it. Get your skills up-to-date (especially the coding aspect if that's what concerns you), and then get those CVs sent off. :smile:

Thank you and one more thing.

If I have interviews during a work day, will a company allow me to attend that interview?
Thank you and one more thing.

If I have interviews during a work day, will a company allow me to attend that interview?

You can take one of two approaches, depending on the nature of the work you do right now.

1. If you're invited to interview, you can book that as a day's (or half-day's) holiday. The interview might be at short notice (a few days or perhaps "next week"), which might not be enough time for your current employer to arrange cover (if that would be necessary).

2. When you're contacted by potential employers to arrange an interview, just tell them that you are currently working, so can interview before A o'clock, after B o'clock or between C and D at lunchtime. Initial screening interviews are often over the phone, so shouldn't eat into your day too much, but if it's a face-to-face interview ensure you build in travel-time.

What I know some people do (which isn't really the right thing to do) is to call-in sick if that have an interview that day.
Reply 6
You can take one of two approaches, depending on the nature of the work you do right now.

1. If you're invited to interview, you can book that as a day's (or half-day's) holiday. The interview might be at short notice (a few days or perhaps "next week"), which might not be enough time for your current employer to arrange cover (if that would be necessary).

2. When you're contacted by potential employers to arrange an interview, just tell them that you are currently working, so can interview before A o'clock, after B o'clock or between C and D at lunchtime. Initial screening interviews are often over the phone, so shouldn't eat into your day too much, but if it's a face-to-face interview ensure you build in travel-time.

What I know some people do (which isn't really the right thing to do) is to call-in sick if that have an interview that day.

Thank you for this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending