The Student Room Group

Is epithelial cells the surface cells of plants?

or is it epidermis because my OCR as book says that epithelial cells dont need a transport system because they are surface cells? But I read up elsewhere that epidermis are surface cells?
Original post by Tj789
or is it epidermis because my OCR as book says that epithelial cells dont need a transport system because they are surface cells? But I read up elsewhere that epidermis are surface cells?

Epithelial usually refers to cells making up the inner wall of blood vessels or bronchioles or similar structures in animals(although the tissue is called endothelium in blood vessels). Epidermis refers to the outer layer of cells in plants.
Reply 2
Concerning Epidermis: Diagram found here

Both the upper and lower epidermis are made up of a single layer of cells closely packed together. There are more stoma on the lower epidermis (underside of leaf) and thicker cuticles on the upper epidermis. I think this is concerning water retention/loss. It's been a long time since I studied plants...

The epidermis seeks to protect more fragile cell layers such as the mesophyll.

Concerning Epithelium: Diagram here

Taking the epithelial layer in the intestine. The epithelium regulates the transfer of substances and ions. They are also capable of secreting substances (there are many different types of epithelium). They can have transport proteins - both active and passive, in their membranes.

I always used to think of them as just something that held blood as close to where it needed to be as possible but protecting it. Sort of like a rubbish condom that lets everything through :P

Edit: I've read your post again and realised it's ALevels. Ok. Epithelia are part of the selectively permeable membrane found in, for example, the gut and kidneys.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending