The Student Room Group

A2 aqa biology

I have a massive problem when it gets to past papers this is that i know the knowledge required for the exam but they throw these application and how science works questions for which i havent understood the technique and at as i didnt to well for this reason and i am just not improving
Has anyone got any tips on how to increase thier biology grades
Also does anyone have a step by step way of answering these questions
Reply 1
Increase your biology grades by learning as much as possible and practicing exam questions repeatedly. You can't avoid having to actually learn - just try to keep it active, you won't absorb knowledge by osmosis.

Step by step way of answering questions is illustrated in past paper mark schemes.
Original post by terabaap
I have a massive problem when it gets to past papers this is that i know the knowledge required for the exam but they throw these application and how science works questions for which i havent understood the technique and at as i didnt to well for this reason and i am just not improving
Has anyone got any tips on how to increase thier biology grades
Also does anyone have a step by step way of answering these questions

One of the best ways to learn how to apply science to real life situations is well...to just apply it. :biggrin:
What I mean is that when you are studying normally, try to link everything you read with a real world example. Say, for instance, you read about the Hardy Weinberg Theorem. Search up real life life examples of that theorem on the net, and you'll find it more interesting and easier to understand.

Another way is to "synthesize" from what you already know. These application-based questions are nothing really: they are just the same basic science presented in a real-world manner. So just try to read the question a few times, think of all possible things that could fit in, choose the one that appears best (scientifically) and then work on it.

And remember: practise makes perfect, so the more questions you solve, the more you'll learn how to identify the correct option.
:smile:
Yes I know! I made a video about it with the tips that I think can help you tackle application questions.

[video="youtube;kyYYLlII1zI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyYYLlII1zI[/video]
I understand your pain, I never nail it completely.

The AQA A2 Biology revision book contained a lot of examples of applications, which is the green highlighted bit. I do learn more and more when I read it...So maybe you should read those...

Last year in AS I didn't bothered to read it cos simply due to laziness :/ I'm retaking AS anyway :3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending