The Student Room Group

average speed problem.

Hey guys .
im so confused by the section of c and d of this question . i can't just get my head around it. Any help would be appreciate it.
For section c, estimate the area under the curve between 2 and 4 seconds. For d, divide the distance by the time taken.
Reply 2
How will you be able to calculate the area under the curve tho as it's not like a proper shape?
Thanks for your help .
Original post by Alen.m
How will you be able to calculate the area under the curve tho as it's not like a proper shape?
Thanks for your help .

I don't think you can work it out exactly, but you can estimate it.
Reply 4
is that the best answer you can get out of it mate?the text book says 18, kinda match with the estimate i have calculated .
Thanks for your help tho .
Original post by Alen.m
is that the best answer you can get out of it mate?the text book says 18, kinda match with the estimate i have calculated .
Thanks for your help tho .

Yes, unless you know the equation of the curve, you can only estimate it.
Reply 6
Original post by Alen.m
Thanks for your help .

For the future, if the squares are smaller than this then you can count squares, counting only those that are more than half-filled. Alternatively you can use the trapezium rule and sum the areas of a number of equal width trapeziums. But yeah, these questions are dumb.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending