The Student Room Group

Scared that I won’t achieve the grades I need for A Levels?

I just started my a levels and I’m not doing great. I didn’t do the best in my GCSE’s and had a grade average of 6(B). I just started my a levels and I’m not getting the grades I want. I’m currently working at BCD which isn’t great. I want to be AAB but I just can’t get there. I take all essay subjects which is what I’m holding accountable for my downfall. My hand writing speed is terrible and it’s simply because I hold my pen weirdly. Many teachers have told me that I shouldn’t get any exam arrangements because of this and have told me I should just change how I write. This sounds easy but I promise you it’s not as I’ve been writing this way for ages. I recently spoke to my tutor who actually helped me and got me on the waiting list to be seen by my exams officer who will arrange the help. In the mean time they have given me access to a word processor/ typing in my exams. I’m hoping to keep this and get ET. I haven’t sat an exam with either of these arrangements yet so I don’t know how I will do. On all of my tests I run out of time and end up missing out a question or two and losing a lot of marks. I’m putting the work in with revision so I don’t think this is the problem.
Has anyone had a similar experience and do you think my grades will improve or am I simply not made for A Levels?
Original post by ro62527
I just started my a levels and I’m not doing great. I didn’t do the best in my GCSE’s and had a grade average of 6(B). I just started my a levels and I’m not getting the grades I want. I’m currently working at BCD which isn’t great. I want to be AAB but I just can’t get there. I take all essay subjects which is what I’m holding accountable for my downfall. My hand writing speed is terrible and it’s simply because I hold my pen weirdly. Many teachers have told me that I shouldn’t get any exam arrangements because of this and have told me I should just change how I write. This sounds easy but I promise you it’s not as I’ve been writing this way for ages. I recently spoke to my tutor who actually helped me and got me on the waiting list to be seen by my exams officer who will arrange the help. In the mean time they have given me access to a word processor/ typing in my exams. I’m hoping to keep this and get ET. I haven’t sat an exam with either of these arrangements yet so I don’t know how I will do. On all of my tests I run out of time and end up missing out a question or two and losing a lot of marks. I’m putting the work in with revision so I don’t think this is the problem.
Has anyone had a similar experience and do you think my grades will improve or am I simply not made for A Levels?
If it makes you feel better, urs is way better than mine, Yes you will improve dont woryr
Reply 2
Original post by ro62527
I'm in a similar situation as you. I too take all essay based subjects and while my handwriting is legible, I write quite slowly. Just yesterday I had a meeting with an exams officer and they issued my extra time with a word processor due to my slow handwriting. If handwriting is your biggest concern, I would say push for the word processor first and practice doing essays and papers on laptop in comparison to writing. If you have a diagnosis of any learning difficulty or developmental disability (I have ASD), this is usually automatic ground for extra time. If you don't have a diagnosis of any of these and think you may have one (e.g. dyslexia, ADHD), your exams officer may make a referral to help you get assessed. If you're in the middle of getting an assessment or diagnosis, please mention this as it will help your case significantly. It's great that you're doing this now rather than later, since I'm assuming you're in Year 12. When it's closer to exam time, more people try and sort out these arrangements so I hope everything goes smoothly for you!

Quick Reply

Latest