The Student Room Group

Are most Americans aware that their founding fathers were of British ancestry?

Are most Americans aware of the fact that their ‘founding fathers’ (and most white Americans during that period) were of predominantly British ancestry?

My observation of the attitudes of many Americans on the internet towards the British, and my reading between the lines of answers that they give to questions regarding the early period of the US makes me to suspect that modern Americans generally are totally unaware that the majority of Americans during that period, including the founding fathers, were of British (mostly English) descent. They seem to think that Britain was just some kind of “outside colonizer” without any significant settlement within the country itself. Given the general hostility towards the British that I’ve observed, I would not be the least bit surprised if this fact is rarely made known in US schools or media, but I would still like to make sure if that really is the case.

(Note: It is not enough to reply by saying that “they are conscious of Scottish settlement in the US”. This is because I am talking mainly about English settlement. Also, I have noticed for more than a decade now that many Americans are not even aware that Scotland has been part of Britain for centuries, and played a huge role in British colonialism.)
Original post by misterbear
Are most Americans aware of the fact that their ‘founding fathers’ (and most white Americans during that period) were of predominantly British ancestry?

My observation of the attitudes of many Americans on the internet towards the British, and my reading between the lines of answers that they give to questions regarding the early period of the US makes me to suspect that modern Americans generally are totally unaware that the majority of Americans during that period, including the founding fathers, were of British (mostly English) descent. They seem to think that Britain was just some kind of “outside colonizer” without any significant settlement within the country itself. Given the general hostility towards the British that I’ve observed, I would not be the least bit surprised if this fact is rarely made known in US schools or media, but I would still like to make sure if that really is the case.

(Note: It is not enough to reply by saying that “they are conscious of Scottish settlement in the US”. This is because I am talking mainly about English settlement. Also, I have noticed for more than a decade now that many Americans are not even aware that Scotland has been part of Britain for centuries, and played a huge role in British colonialism.)

Yes, I think they do know that. I do agree that their "them and us" mentality is a little bit odd given our common ancestry but I do think that most Americans are aware of the fact that they were (largely) originally British colonisers.
Original post by misterbear

You've answer your own question.

Most people on the Internet.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending