The Student Room Group

How to handle people assuming

I’m an 18 year old female from America. And I constantly have people coming up to me and straight up asking me if I am Hispanic or if I’m Asian. And I never know how to answer them. Especially if they come up to me speaking Spanish or Japanese or Korean or Mandarin. Like I know a little bit of Spanish because that was my language that I had to learn in high school.
Original post by Anonymous
I’m an 18 year old female from America. And I constantly have people coming up to me and straight up asking me if I am Hispanic or if I’m Asian. And I never know how to answer them. Especially if they come up to me speaking Spanish or Japanese or Korean or Mandarin. Like I know a little bit of Spanish because that was my language that I had to learn in high school.

Forgive me, but I don't understand the challenge. Is this issue that you don't want people to know whether you're Hispanic or Asian? Or that you don't know whether you are? Or perhaps that you just get fed-up with people assuming you are when you aren't?

You say you're "from America", but that doesn't mean you don't have a Hispanic or Asian ancestry. There are loads of potentially correct answers to that question. For example:

"My parents are from <country> but I'm American."
"Not that I know of, but I'm told that I look a little Hispanic. I'm not sure why."
"Yup. I was born in <country>, but I'm an American citizen."

I assume people are asking just as a way of getting to know you better. Or do you think that there's a veiled insult behind the question?

If someone approaches you and begins to speak in a language you don't understand, then I don't think you can respond in any way other than to tell them (in English) that you don't understand what they're saying.

If they follow-up with something like, "Oh, I thought you were <nationality>.", your response would simply be, "Nope. American."

I can't help thinking that I've missed something in your question though.
Reply 2
Say "No, why?" if they've asked or "I don't understand what you're saying" if they're saying something you don't understand.

If they point out that your room mate has put a sticker on your back saying "Hola, abrazos gratis!", then at least you'll have an explanation.
This sounds made up :rolleyes:
But latinos look completely different to the Japanese and Chinese :confused:
Reply 5
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
But latinos look completely different to the Japanese and Chinese :confused:

I know but I’ve been asked these.

Original post by StriderHort
This sounds made up :rolleyes:

I can assure you it’s most definitely not

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending