The Student Room Group

Out of date marmite?

So I was about to open the jar of marmite in our house when I realised its best before date was May 2013. I've been eating it on rice cakes for a couple of days now, and I feel absolutely fine and it didn't taste any different to how it does usually. Is it safe for me to eat???
The best before date isn't a use by :wink:

I think that stuff would outlast the human race.
Marmite IN date is bloody awful....

Best before just means it'll taste best before that date....

The use by date is the critical thing
Out of date Marmite? Who even eats in date Marmite? Granted I've never even tried it to tell you if I love it or hate it but I am sure it won't kill you. Nobody pays attention to the "use within 6 weeks of opening either"!

I despise throwing things away because they are "out of date". Obviously some things you have to like dairy and I am in two minds about my out of date Baileys (unopened) - 2 small favour ones and 1 large normal one - because although it is alcohol it is also cream, I still intend on drinking but might wait until New Year because if I am going to be sick anyway...

Sadly had to throw old unopened Harveys as I only drink it at Christmas because I'm not an old woman and the cork crumbled inside when I opened it. That was painful :frown:
I used some food colouring/mini smarties in a cake last week that had use by dates of 1998, I'm still here
Marmite is quality. It will be fine. Yesterday I ate a whole jar of opened jalapenos that was opened about 6 months ago and meant to be eaten within 7 days.

In general I say to people just do what animals do. Smell it, if it smells fine taste a bit, if that's alright then you're good to go.

Quick Reply

Latest